Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone
I've been reading a thread by Pelican on what he can tow and it reminded me that when I'm 70 my C1 will go.

I think there ought to be a way of finding out if you can continue driving a particular licence category way before the end date arrives.

I have a MH with a tag axle which is 5 tonnes and my C1 runs out like everyone at 70 unless I take a medical.
Now because of my health I know I would possibly not pass that as after much testing at hospitals and doctors reports they only allowed my HGV to my 65th birthday,
I’m now 68 and on February the 10th 2023 I’ll lose the C1 and capacity to drive this MH.
I don’t want to get to that date and find out that I cannot drive it so I’ve decided to change it in 2022.
If I could find out say a year before that date I would take the medical, but from what I understand there is no way to confirm this.
I wonder what would happen if I took the medical now; is that possible and should I fail I surpose I would lose the C1 straight away.
If I did not have any health problems I would take the medical without hesitation.
What do you good people think; is there a way round this; or do I just have to bite the bullet and change to a 3500kg MH next year.
Best Wishes Tony

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Go to the post office and get a C1 license application and take the medical now to see if you pass you don’t have to submit it now.
The only problem is you will have to take another medical if you decide to apply for your C1 later on.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
go to one of the cheapy medical places but don't send the forms off as said, they often have the forms there , however, the reputable ones if you have underlying conditions will refuse to do it and tell you to see your GP as it is a true account of your health.

these are very good and do it in Eastleigh which may help you

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There
The problem I have is that the DVLA has historical medical information from the cardiac profusion test they did when I was 63 and they may want besides the medical test another profusion test, I’m sure that in the 6 years since the profusion test my heart has not got any fitter and has most probably got worse; which I’m sure it has.
I probably won't pass another profusion test should I have to take one.
Best Wishes Tony

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hi There
The problem I have is that the DVLA has historical medical information from the cardiac profusion test they did when I was 63 and they may want besides the medical test another profusion test, I’m sure that in the 6 years since the profusion test my heart has not got any fitter and has most probably got worse; which I’m sure it has.
I probably won't pass another profusion test should I have to take one.
Best Wishes Tony

Regardless of when or if you pass the C1 health test and whatever your age it is obligatory to inform the DVLA if subsequently you do not meet the health requirements for any of the categories on your licence.
In addition, if you had a motoring accident and you or your GP were aware that you had a notifiable health issue your insurers could be awkward as any health issue could be construed by them as a 'material fact' which has to be declared. As you mentioned, the DVLA already have a health marker on your records.
Trying to fudge around the system wouldn't be doing yourself or anyone else on the road any favours.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Regardless of when or if you pass the C1 health test and whatever your age it is obligatory to inform the DVLA if subsequently you do not meet the health requirements for any of the categories on your licence.
In addition, if you had a motoring accident and you or your GP were aware that you had a notifiable health issue your insurers could be awkward as any health issue could be construed by them as a 'material fact' which has to be declared. As you mentioned, the DVLA already have a health marker on your records.
Trying to fudge around the system wouldn't be doing yourself or anyone else on the road any favours.
As Spridler says you don’t want to be trying to fudge round the system.
Without going into detail it took me months to get my last C1, I was driving with no license for three months (with the DVLAs blessing) while the DVLA dithered.
I voiced my concerns to my own doctor and he made a note on my records that in his opinion I was fit to drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Go to the post office and get a C1 license application and take the medical now to see if you pass you don’t have to submit it now.
The only problem is you will have to take another medical if you decide to apply for your C1 later on.

The problem in the UK is that the doctor conducting the medical does not decide on a 'Pass' or 'Fail' all he/she does is to answer the questions on the D4 form which then has to be submitted to DVLA for a decision.

If there are problems with the answers on the form it may have to be submitted to their medical team, which from reports can take weeks/months and they may require more information and/or tests.

Meanwhle one is allowed to drive till a 'No' decision is made but only in the UK.

So the short answer is you cannot know if you will pass until a D4 medical form is submitted to the DVLA, although a doctor who has had experience over many patients as to which ones have been passed by DVLA might be able to give you an opinion on what DVLA's decision might be, according to what he finds in a medical examination, but it will not be definitive.

Here in Poland the doctor does actually sign as pass or fail, and I have just got my C1 renewed for 5 years till next medical, at 84.

Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted.

Geoff

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Bite the bullet and accept you are down to 3.5 ton.

I am sorry to hear of your problems, and it isn’t ideal. I have however seen many accidents where the driver clearly wasn’t medically capable of holding a licence with awful results.

It isn’t just your safety you will put at risk if you find a way round the system.

You could get all the tests necessary and let them decide for you? Then you will know for sure one way or another and you can have a clear conscience that you took the advice and requirements given.

Good luck and I hope you do retain the entitlement. 👍

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Everyone
I've been reading a thread by Pelican on what he can tow and it reminded me that when I'm 70 my C1 will go.

I think there ought to be a way of finding out if you can continue driving a particular licence category way before the end date arrives.

I have a MH with a tag axle which is 5 tonnes and my C1 runs out like everyone at 70 unless I take a medical.
Now because of my health I know I would possibly not pass that as after much testing at hospitals and doctors reports they only allowed my HGV to my 65th birthday,
I’m now 68 and on February the 10th 2023 I’ll lose the C1 and capacity to drive this MH.
I don’t want to get to that date and find out that I cannot drive it so I’ve decided to change it in 2022.
If I could find out say a year before that date I would take the medical, but from what I understand there is no way to confirm this.
I wonder what would happen if I took the medical now; is that possible and should I fail I surpose I would lose the C1 straight away.
If I did not have any health problems I would take the medical without hesitation.
What do you good people think; is there a way round this; or do I just have to bite the bullet and change to a 3500kg MH next year.
Best Wishes Tony
I was a tugger until I was 74 so never considered the C1 question until I got a motorhome. However we have a 6 metre 2/4 berth coachbuilt, see my picture. There is bags of room for the two of us (the double floor helps a lot) and it is not so big that parking is a serious problem. I sympathise with you that you re in a position of having health issues for which I thankfully do not have. We are both fit enough to be able to climb in to the overcab bed which is very simple to dry down, just pull it and push it back up. Bur there will no doubt come the day when one or both of us will not be able to do it so we would either have to give up entirely or change to something smaller and/or without having to climb into bed..

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
On another tack, it might be prudent to have the medical as suggested by many earlier. At least you will know you are not throwing money down the drain by part-exing and your condition then falls below even normal licence permissions.
I can well understand your concerns over the length of time for medical permissions, last time mine took so long I decided not to go through the hassle again so did what you are intending and dropped to 3.5 ton in advance. My condition requires a medical for C1, but is self declaring for the standard licence and GP is happy I meet exceed the basic requirements.
The traffic act extension while you are waiting for your new licence when your old one has expired is a pain, especially as it restricts you to UK driving.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
If it is any help the completed medical report, the D4 is valid for 4 months from the date of signing by the doctor.
ezee

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
As you mentioned, the DVLA already have a health marker on your records.
Hi Spriddler Yes I do understand that and I'm not hiding anything from them as nothing has changed except that I'm older and as you get older things don't normally get better or fitter.
So I'm thinking of just letting my C1 laps and get a smaller van. I'm certainly not hiding anything from them but I do know there have been people in the past who think they would sail through the medical but ended up far worse for going through it, that's all I'll say on that subject.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
It isn’t just your safety you will put at risk if you find a way round the system.
Please be aware I'm not looking to sercum vent the system; but I don't want to end up in 2023 10th of February and have a 5 tonne tag axle I own which I can't drive sitting outside. I would rather bite the bullet and reduce down to a 3.5 tonne vehicle and not have the worry.

As I've said if I could take the medical and the doctor could sign it off then I would be happy to do that a in my 69th year, as Nicholsong said the doctor is not the final arbiter on wether I get through or get my C1 taken; there is no way that I know of to find out when I'm just gone 69 if I will be able to keep my C1
Best Wishes Tony

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just renewed my c1 the medical isn’t that difficult unless you have a reportable illness c1 is different from HGV as you have kept your c1 if your in doubt a year before you need to renew take a medical with one the online suppliers costs about £50

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
It's a sad fact that you appear to know what the outcome of the medical and what dvla might require in addition. My medical was a complete joke but I got the certificate and the license although we stayed at under 3500kg. by choice.
If you are unfit to drive a large vehicle (in your own opinion) I would look to be moving onto a lighter vehicle while you have plenty of time to sell or PX and the market is buoyant.
There are some really nice lighter vehicles but as Jim keeps telling us check the payload..

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Please be aware I'm not looking to sercum vent the system; but I don't want to end up in 2023 10th of February and have a 5 tonne tag axle I own which I can't drive sitting outside. I would rather bite the bullet and reduce down to a 3.5 tonne vehicle and not have the worry.

As I've said if I could take the medical and the doctor could sign it off then I would be happy to do that a in my 69th year, as Nicholsong said the doctor is not the final arbiter on wether I get through or get my C1 taken; there is no way that I know of to find out when I'm just gone 69 if I will be able to keep my C1
Best Wishes Tony
Ah, I see, apologies.

It’s a bit barmy you won’t get any notice.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you are unfit to drive a large vehicle (in your own opinion) I would look to be moving onto a lighter vehicle while you have plenty of time to sell or PX and the market is buoyant.
My point is
I feel OK and don't know if my health or more importanly my heart has got to the position of not being healthy enough for the DVLA to grant me my C1. But it's not something you can plan for; except do what I am thinking about and reducing down to a 3.5 tonne vehicle in my 69th year.
So It's not about I feel my health has deteriated; but once you are at 70 and the DVLA says no C1 then my 5 tonne MH is redundant and I can't drive anywhere in it even to insure it or have it MOTed. Changing it before that date at least I can go to MH shows and look round for one which will suit my needs.
There is also the point that I've got the MH I have with equiptment on it which has costs; I will not get those costs back I understand that and will probably have to spend money out well over the top of what I get for my vehcile.
Best Wishes Tony

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We've downsized to 3500kg to avoid the problem. As it turns out, we've found that a smaller motorhome has no end of advantages. For example, it fits on our drive, we can park in most car parks, it's small enough to go out and about and there's no French laws to spoil our day. I love it and it's very comfortable. It's made me wonder why we needed all that space before.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Tony,
I think you’ve already decided to change to a lighter vehicle,and that seems the best thing to do.
I do find it rather strange,and not particularly clever,that folk can be stopped from driving a 3850 van on a Monday,but drive a 3500 van on tuesday. What difference will 350 make...bugger all. The powers that be will say there has to be a cut off somewhere I suppose.
In my opinion,which matters not,there should be more testing of drivers with bad eyesight than currently exists.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We've downsized to 3500kg to avoid the problem. As it turns out, we've found that a smaller motorhome has no end of advantages. For example, it fits on our drive, we can park in most car parks, it's small enough to go out and about and there's no French laws to spoil our day. I love it and it's very comfortable. It's made me wonder why we needed all that space before.
Hi 138go Yes that is probably what I will end up doing as I see no way round it, thanks for your input.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
In my opinion,which matters not,there should be more testing of drivers with bad eyesight than currently exists.
I agree with you more increment testing so you can at least plan and not an arbitrary cut of so you end up with a vehicle you can’t drive.
Tony

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just renewed my c1 the medical isn’t that difficult unless you have a reportable illness c1 is different from HGV as you have kept your c1 if your in doubt a year before you need to renew take a medical with one the online suppliers costs about £50

The D4 medical form is the same for C1 and HGV, but there may be differences on how the DVLA assess the results entered on the form by the doctor.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you pass a medical this time, you have to go through the same scenario every three years, just change for 3500kg. Nobody needs stress at our time in our lives.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi Tony,
I think you’ve already decided to change to a lighter vehicle,and that seems the best thing to do.
I do find it rather strange,and not particularly clever,that folk can be stopped from driving a 3850 van on a Monday,but drive a 3500 van on tuesday. What difference will 350 make...bugger all. The powers that be will say there has to be a cut off somewhere I suppose.
Whilst I sort of get your point, I do find it a little disturbing that a person that has enough health problems to stop them driving above 3.5t is considered fit to drive at all. There is no more effort required to drive modern large vehicles than there is smaller lighter vehicles. So in my opinion if someone is considered unfit to drive over 3.5t then they are not fit to drive at all.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst I sort of get your point, I do find it a little disturbing that a person that has enough health problems to stop them driving above 3.5t is considered fit to drive at all. There is no more effort required to drive modern large vehicles than there is smaller lighter vehicles. So in my opinion if someone is considered unfit to drive over 3.5t then they are not fit to drive at all.
I agree entirely.
I imagine the argument is the amount of damage that one could cause with a larger vehicle, but I don’t really take the bait on that one. Pass out at the wheel in a Nissan Micra you would still damage a lot of kids at the school gate if you ploughed into them during a blackout.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Brakers,
You could always ask you doctor for his opinion next time you see him, it might help you come to a decission with more confidence.
ezee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back