700 watt suitcase generator? (2 Viewers)

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Could anyone answer a few questions about how useful a generator of 700 watt would be?

I've been offered the loan of a suitcase generator ( not too heavy) which may be useful if I had no gas, for that type of emergency use.

How do you work out which electrical implements you can use?
I wouldn't rely on it, as I can manage without electric hook up quite well usually.
The label says
IM800I INVERTOR GENERATOR
RATED POWER 700w
Peak power 790w
Net weight 8.5 kg
93 dB

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 90

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi when I used my little Genny I used it to charge my batteries when not on hookup as 700 watts is not a lot to run things off as you will find out , in due usage

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Simply look at the electrical information label on the appliance if under 700watt it will work
Maths in a nutshell, so two 300 watt items will work together
things to that can catch you out are, say 700watt microwave, should work BUT micro wave ovens have much larger start up loads
of say 1200 watt before settling down to 700watt so they will be a no no on your little setup
1200watt dryer on half setting may work, try what you like it will simply cut out if it dont like it.
switch off re set and away you go again
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose the obvious question is ... just because you've been offered it are you really likely to need it? If it's just gonna get lugged around for the sake of it and you are not likely to be wanting to bother getting it out, setting it up, making sure it's not nicked etc, then possibly may not be worth the bother.

Just noticed it's 93db ... that is loud! Think petrol lawn mower!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jillytots
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Simply look at the electrical information label on the appliance if under 700watt it will work
Maths in a nutshell, so two 300 watt items will work together
things to that can catch you out are, say 700watt microwave, should work BUT micro wave ovens have much larger start up loads
of say 1200 watt before settling down to 700watt so they will be a no no on your little setup
1200watt dryer on half setting may work, try what you like it will simply cut out if it dont like it.
switch off re set and away you go again
G

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jillytots
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks.
Hairdryer was one of the things I was thinking about.
I didn't even know a microwave was a possibility so I'll look into that.
I'll test things out .
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jillytots
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
I suppose the obvious question is ... just because you've been offered it are you really likely to need it? If it's just gonna get lugged around for the sake of it and you are not likely to be wanting to bother getting it out, setting it up, making sure it's not nicked etc, then possibly may not be worth the bother.

Just noticed it's 93db ... that is loud! Think petrol lawn mower!

Thanks. It's small enough to tuck away in my van under my bench seats .
As for getting it nicked, yes that's something I have considered so I'd only use it on the day , for short periods .
I've listened to the volume and personally I wouldn't want to be on holiday and hear any generator , so I'd be respectful of others, but if I was on an aire in the day and there was no one else there I'd use it then.

Thanks to all for the responses
I'm interested in being able to buy and use a microwave if that is a real
Possibility

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We have a similar one to this as a standby. It is possible to get second hand Moulinex 230V 400W hairdryers, they work well. It is possible to get 400w water boilers, again they work well

Here is my Amazon review: Amazon product ASIN
"Within it's limitations, and for the cost, this is a great little generator, Shipped without oil (to prevent leakage and internal spillage), once oiled up and fuelled, primed and with switches set to "on", mine started second pull of the starter.

No, it is certainly not "silent", and if I could fault anything it is the shameful way it is misleadingly described. As a trade misdescription, buyers would be entitled to a full refund on the basis of that alone. Whilst certainly not silent, it isn't exactly loud. To put it in context, at 7M distant, it is roughly the sound of a hairdrier at 3M or a lawnmower at 30M. I bought it as an occasional generator for our motorhome, rather than spend 8 times more for a Honda, and I can see how extended use could be irritating for neighbouring vehicles.

I did scope the output, and it produces a fairly clean sinusoidal wave, a supply suitable for most things. However, it struggles to cope with any startup load, thus an 800 watt hairdrier was too much for it. Same for an 800 watt kettle. In truth, this is 700/750W. I managed to pick up an elderly 400 watt Moulinex hairdrier on Ebay for less than a fiver, and that actually works a treat. My next project is to modify a small mains kettle (through adding a high wattage resistor in series with the heating resistor/element) to bring down the current within the generator's limits. 80 ohms combined should result in a 700 watt load - takes a while to boil but still 6 x faster than the equivalent 12v camping effort (limited to 125 watts, being 10A through the cigar lighter socket).

It just runs the lower level Truma electric water heater of the motorhome rated at 800 W if the water is already warm, but cuts out with the battery chargers running at the same time.

The supplied 12v charging leads give a modest kick to batteries, difficult to find specs but I measured 4.2A at 12V. Seriously, do NOT rely on this to get you out of trouble with your 'van starter battery unless you have 10+ hours to spare whilst it trickle charges your batteries. Get yourself a jump start battery pack instead.

All things considered, anything is better than using a 12V invertor to use for hairdrying and basic stuff in a motorhome.. This is good for items that draw a small load, 12V appliances and LED lighting is sensible in the 21st century, and if an EHU is available, then that must be your first choice. Otherwise, this generator is a useful backup for home - sufficient to keep the central heating operational and run a light or two, charge up a laptop or watch telly

Overall, I wish I had bought the next size up, but it is heavier and not really necessary for the occasional use it is required for.
In terms of size, this generator takes up around 15 x 16 x 10 (inches, obviously) and is easy to carry single handed and start up.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks. It's small enough to tuck away in my van under my bench seats .
As for getting it nicked, yes that's something I have considered so I'd only use it on the day , for short periods .
I've listened to the volume and personally I wouldn't want to be on holiday and hear any generator , so I'd be respectful of others, but if I was on an aire in the day and there was no one else there I'd use it then.

Thanks to all for the responses
I'm interested in being able to buy and use a microwave if that is a real
Possibility
To operate a small microwave you would need a much larger generator - around 1500W. For a 'normal' hairdryer on half power you would need 1000W. Search and you might find one that will operate on 700W.

Edit: pyros review says it all.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You misunderstood Geo's post.
It WONT run a 700w microwave as the initial start power is much higher than 700watts
Agreed. Absolutely no chance. I would think nearer 2KW needed for a reasonably powered microwave, 1.2kw minimum

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Don't forget the "background" wattage use" some auto fridges, charger etc... when thinking about what else you can use...
appliance wise... (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Could anyone answer a few questions about how useful a generator of 700 watt would be?

I've been offered the loan of a suitcase generator ( not too heavy) which may be useful if I had no gas, for that type of emergency use.

How do you work out which electrical implements you can use?
I wouldn't rely on it, as I can manage without electric hook up quite well usually.
The label says
IM800I INVERTOR GENERATOR
RATED POWER 700w
Peak power 790w
Net weight 8.5 kg
93 dB

I think its the screwfix one, £180 , good value nice item
It does what it says on the tin
We use one to power a 32' boat when its moored for any lengh of time
Power tools and charging is all we use it for
you can't watch tv with it running, it gets on your nerves [and others nerves!]

try to use solar and 12v

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
[QUOTE=" which may be useful if I had no gas, for that type of emergency use.
[/QUOTE]
Keep your eye on the gas and / or have a spare:whistle:
I understand a medical emergency , but not sure running out of gas could be considered an emergency:LOL:
only joking

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Semi useless. All you can do is charge your batteries. Everything else, kettle, hair dryer, cooker need far more power.
I disagree. As per my above review of the generator (badged differently), pretty 400 watt hairdryers do exist, as do similar power water boilers. We bought ours as a standby and it has performed that function well on the couple of occasions that we needed it.

It has also been adequate to give us hot water (albeit it takes a time), run the fridge and top up the engine battery.

Horses for courses. For less than £200 can you really go wrong?

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Why would you heat water with a generator, when gas is so perfectly suited to the task?

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Why would you heat water with a generator, when gas is so perfectly suited to the task?
Imagine:

Gas has run out, you are overseas and 200Km away from nearest supplier to sell you a conversion tail whilst you wait for that elusive Fiat part to arrive at a fly blown Spanish workshop in the middle of nowhere, no EHU and two days sitting around waiting.

You get the picture. Yes it has happened (to me). On another occasion it meant the ability to have shower and eat lunch because of low gas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Imagine:

Gas has run out, you are overseas and 200Km away from nearest supplier to sell you a conversion tail whilst you wait for that elusive Fiat part to arrive at a fly blown Spanish workshop in the middle of nowhere, no EHU and two days sitting around waiting.

You get the picture. Yes it has happened (to me). On another occasion it meant the ability to have shower and eat lunch because of low gas
You should have fluttered your eyelashes and put on your fishnets ... they'd have let you plug into their electric then ... :p

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A thing it would run is a Remoska.:D

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
No hope on the microwave I'm afraid. A 700w microwave has an output of 700w, the actual consumption is higher, and then theres the surge on startup. You could get away with 1.5kW.
If the microwave was really needed you could run it on an inverter from your batteries and recharge the batteries with your little gennie. Most microwaves are only actually running for a few minutes so this is quite feasible, if inelegant.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You should have fluttered your eyelashes and put on your fishnets ... they'd have let you plug into their electric then ... :p
How did you know? At that point they downed tools :)

Twas a Friday afternoon. The proprietor had an appointment at the bar and was on a promise, so nothing until Monday. I joined him in the bar and we got drunk together where he drew a sketch of what he planned for that evening. After seeing that sketch, and meeting the woman he was planning to spend the weekend with, I have to say that his priorities were spot on. I was grateful he had recovered enough to walk by the start of the next week.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It will be like any other generator, it will upset the neighbors if you have any....:)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
This has been answered several time already in this thread:

Doubt that you will easily find an effective hairdryer as low as 700W, and if you do it will not work very well. My wife has a low power one she uses specifically for the motorhome and it is 1200W

I disagree. As per my above review of the generator (badged differently), pretty 400 watt hairdryers do exist, as do similar power water boilers. We bought ours as a standby and it has performed that function well on the couple of occasions that we needed it.?

Works perfectly well

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Works perfectly well
No it doesn't. My wife had one of those back in the 1970s/80s and it was next to useless unless your hair is very short. There is a good reason why they are not made any more!

And would I want to trust a 40 year old second hand hair dryer? I think not. Have you looked at the seller's comments, and I quote.
“The dryer is in working condition but the plug has been removed for safety purposes. The dryer is in very good physical condition. PLEASE NOTE THE DRYER IS SOLD FOR COLLECTABLE OR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY. It should be tested by a qualified electrician prior to being turned on”

In other words "if it kills you it's not my fault". Seems like they don't have much faith in the product either. :D2

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
That is one example, there are plenty of others offered for sale. All secondhand electrical appliance have to be inspected before use, health and safety and IEE regs. Read the health warning on the leaflet inside an aspirin packet, or the safety warnings in your vehicle handbook

Yes, it is 400 watts, and of course it takes longer to dry longer hair, being lower powered, but it is infinitely better than struggling with a 150 watt 12v cigar lighter job if you have nothing else (no EHU) and a cheaper option for the budget conscious than paying 6 times as much for the decent Honda generator that I would recommend. So, it takes 12 minutes to dry your hair once a day, and not 5 minutes, but you're on holiday. It works perfectly well against the 12V alternatives, and if you are not in a rush.

Sure you can use an invertor, which is probably one of the better options, but a half decent 2000 watt MSW one will cost as much as this sub £200 generator does, and will require a second leisure battery and appropriate wiring, doubling that cost again. But the OP in the beginners section was about the value of as loaned portable generator, not wiring in second leisure batteries and installing an invertor

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is one example, there are plenty of others offered for sale. All secondhand electrical appliance have to be inspected before use, health and safety and IEE regs. Read the health warning on the leaflet inside an aspirin packet, or the safety warnings in your vehicle handbook

Yes, it is 400 watts, and of course it takes longer to dry longer hair, being lower powered, but it is infinitely better than struggling with a 150 watt 12v cigar lighter job if you have nothing else (no EHU) and a cheaper option for the budget conscious than paying 6 times as much for the decent Honda generator that I would recommend. So, it takes 12 minutes to dry your hair once a day, and not 5 minutes, but you're on holiday. It works perfectly well against the 12V alternatives, and if you are not in a rush.

Sure you can use an invertor, which is probably one of the better options, but a half decent 2000 watt MSW one will cost as much as this sub £200 generator does, and will require a second leisure battery and appropriate wiring, doubling that cost again. But the OP in the beginners section was about the value of as loaned portable generator, not wiring in second leisure batteries and installing an invertor
Comparing it with a 12V dryer is not saying much. And it took my wife a lot longer to dry her hair than 12 minutes. My wife's hairdryer is 1200W and that does a reasonably good job (she tells me). It only cost £8 from Argos and did not need an expensive electrical test to be used. As I say, there is a good reason that the 400W ones are no longer on sale.

I have a 2000W Modified Sine Wave inverter that I bought from a German seller on Amazon and Ebay a couple of years ago for less than £100.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You are either being deliberately obtuse or have missed my point entirely

This thread was about a the value of a loaned low power portable generator, not about installing a MSW (useless for electronic items) invertor (almost certainly made in China and with a German label) and the associated second leisure battery and cabling required to feed it. Why confuse the issue?

Most manufacturers change their product ranges every few years or so, whatever the product. Moulinex were not subject to any safety recalls that I can find, unlike many cheaper invertors, and this hairdryer works perfectly well within its obvious power limitations for us to use.

PS The "expensive" electrical test was free at the charity shop where I paid £3 for the Moulinex hairdryer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back