70 years plus, what can you tow? (2 Viewers)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
If you passed a driving test in 1958 and drive a motorhome at 3.5 ton, what type/weight of trailer are you/can you tow, if any. Meaning that if you tow any trailer is that allowed? I know you a restricted on weight if you passed you test after 1997 (I think ) but before that date, what are the rules.

I know that you can - at the age of 70 plus- take a medical and drive over 3.5, but that means HAVING to pass a medical every 2 years. But what if you drive at 3.5 ton and then pull a trailer of say 1 ton.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you dont take the medical you still keep your b+e that allows a vehicle up to 3,500kg towing any weight trailer as long as you dont break the towing units train weight.
you can lower a 7,5ton truck to 3,500gvw . and it keeps the train weight of possibly 11-12 ton .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As far as the majority of drivers are concerned the only entitlement you automatically lose, WITHOUT a medical, at 70 is the C1 and C1+E....3.5t to 7.5t plus trailer.
B+E is unaffected by age.....up to 3.5t plus aANY trailer up to the tow vehicles train weight

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
if you dont take the medical you still keep your b+e that allows a vehicle up to 3,500kg towing any weight trailer as long as you dont break the towing units train weight.
you can lower a 7,5ton truck to 3,500gvw . and it keeps the train weight of possibly 11-12 ton .
That's actually quite scary ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not really i use a 6,3 ton truck and tow my trailer . at 70 i can lower my truck to 3,500gvw move the axles forward on the trailer to lighten the pin load . still drive the truck and trailer but it wont have the 8,250 train weight restriction of the c1+e it has now . it actually can be 9.8 ton .
i voluntary lowered it so me son can drive it etc .
its only a game .

Deleted User
not really i use a 6,3 ton truck and tow my trailer . at 70 i can lower my truck to 3,500gvw move the axles forward on the trailer to lighten the pin load . still drive the truck and trailer but it wont have the 8,250 train weight restriction of the c1+e it has now . it actually can be 9.8 ton .
i voluntary lowered it so me son can drive it etc .
its only a game .

But it won't be an artic then :LOL:..........20%!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats right it wont be an artic but it doesnt matter it can still use the trainweight . b+e doesnt have the same trailer rules as the over 3,500kg gvw vehicles .
it will just be a fifth wheel hitch caravan . just like the american style caravans . hee hee only better as it will still have the bigger overhang over the towing unit .
mind i might not get to be seventy myself . never mind my trailer its an 87 so is getting on already.
mind its possible that if i keep the trailer at the lowered weight of 3,500kg i could still use it as an artic . take a bit of carefull measuring to alter the axles . at the moment it puts 50%of the trailer weight on the pin .
would change the mot status of my truck though .
its a good game this playing with vehicles to suit the rules . ha ha .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That's actually quite scary ......
same rules apply now . with the right set up and using your b+e you havent got the 8,250kg gvw restriction .
heres iveco,s mini artic it explains it a bit .

Attachments

• img148.jpg
    img148.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 20

Deleted User
thats right it wont be an artic but it doesnt matter it can still use the trainweight . b+e doesnt have the same trailer rules as the over 3,500kg gvw vehicles .
it will just be a fifth wheel hitch caravan . just like the american style caravans . hee hee only better as it will still have the bigger overhang over the towing unit .
mind i might not get to be seventy myself . never mind my trailer its an 87 so is getting on already.
mind its possible that if i keep the trailer at the lowered weight of 3,500kg i could still use it as an artic . take a bit of carefull measuring to alter the axles . at the moment it puts 50%of the trailer weight on the pin .
would change the mot status of my truck though .
its a good game this playing with vehicles to suit the rules . ha ha .

Only havin' a laugh :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i realized that. just thought others arent aware of some of the silly rules .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
same rules apply now . with the right set up and using your b+e you havent got the 8,250kg gvw restriction .
heres iveco,s mini artic it explains it a bit .

I meant it's quite scary that anyone over 70 could use that loophole and potentially be at 10 tonne ......After watching that programme the other night on older drivers lol

Not all older drivers I hasten to add before im mauled by geri's

But some are downright scary :p

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just thought I would mention, my Transit has a twin axle and I believe it to be a 4.5 ton chassis, the manufacturer has made it into 3.5 ton, so I could, I guess up rate it to the 4.5 ton but, whilst I am reasonable sure I would pass the medical, I really carn be arsed with it. I figure that a trailer would perhaps solve the problem, I could carry the "extra" weight in the trailer. :)(y)

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I meant it's quite scary that anyone over 70 could use that loophole and potentially be at 10 tonne ......After watching that programme the other night on older drivers lol

Not all older drivers I hasten to add before im mauled by geri's

But some are downright scary :p

GERI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!! I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!!!!! :)

Old fart fine.......GERI'S never!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back