Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
So explain how its a lot simpler then Andy. (n)
More plug and ply ... if I managed to load the poi I wanted it's got to be simple..:LOL:
like most things Chinese you always have to have more to do and no clear instructions on how to do it... so you have to have more know how .... as you are demonstarting with your questions... :D similar situation with say i boost. Compaared to the Chinese versions or the little Chinese power management panels compared to the let's say more reputable makes (ask Alan about them . .) Now I think you know what I mean lol... ..... :D2

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
More plug and ply ... if I managed to load the poi I wanted it's got to be simple..:LOL:

As Andy says.

Plug the Garmin into you pc.

Run Garmin Express and it updates software and maps.
Run Garmin POILoader and it loads your poi files.
Run Garmin BaseCamp to pre-plan your routes and then transfer them to your sat nav.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a Garmin 760 Camper, a Tomtom Camper, and a Goldbay cheapo Chinese truck one.
The Garmin being a camper one is just wrong... Yes it has camp sites on it but in the 18 months we have owned it it has repeatedly stuck us on roads ( lanes, dirt tracks ) totally unsuitable for anything bigger than a horse and cart, despite the vehicle size I entered being a little exaggerated t try and circumvent such issues.
Updates are also problematic unless you have plenty of time to spare !

The Tomtom has issues with toll roads ( if you make a mistake and end up on one the unit, unlike both the others, makes no attempt to get you off.. Instead it 'presumes' you wish to switch to toll roads from that point on )

The Goldbay originally suffered from being a tad slow but that was easily sorted by making some room by deleting all the crap I was never going to use..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The Garmin being a camper one is just wrong... Yes it has camp sites on it but in the 18 months we have owned it it has repeatedly stuck us on roads ( lanes, dirt tracks ) totally unsuitable for anything bigger than a horse and cart, despite the vehicle size I entered being a little exaggerated t try and circumvent such issues.
Can relate to that as well.. I forget what model mine is but have also exaggerated the dimensions entered and it still has routed me on some roads I'd rather not be on :LOL:
Also sometimes it's idea of the fastest route is odd.. it still seems to choose the shortest in spite of the settings...

How much have you paid for the guys to back you up then @andy63?
Is that the best you can do :D
Just get your money spent on a good sat nav:LOL::LOL:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
How much have you paid for the guys to back you up then @andy63?
Is that the best you can do :D
Just get your money spent on a good sat nav:LOL::LOL:

When's the cheque arriving, Andy?

Never had a problem with our 760 taking us down unsuitable roads but may be as a result of pre-planning on BaseCamp?(y) Having said that, just wait on me getting back with first issue on next trip out!:cry:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
When's the cheque arriving, Andy?
SShhhhhh... :lipssealed:

I've not used bas camp... I'll have to have a look.. I take it that's a separate download..
An eg of what I'm on about is the A75... to Stranraer. ..
The sat nav will always try and route me op through the new Galloway forest which may be 3/4 miles shorter than staying on the 75... but no way can it be quicker..
Most of my complaints re unsuitable roads /or tracks occurred whilst in Spain/ Portugal. .. not over here.
Andy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
SShhhhhh... :lipssealed:

I've not used bas camp... I'll have to have a look.. I take it that's a separate download..
An eg of what I'm on about is the A75... to Stranraer. ..
The sat nav will always try and route me op through the new Galloway forest which may be 3/4 miles shorter than staying on the 75... but no way can it be quicker..
Most of my complaints re unsuitable roads /or tracks occurred whilst in Spain/ Portugal. .. not over here.
Andy.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp
If truth be told it takes a little bit of getting used to but it does give you your route on a pc that you can verify before transfer to the sat nav. I sometimes tweak the route in BaseCamp before transfer.

Mmmmh. Just ran a route on BaseCamp from the ramp onto the A75 from M74 through to Stranraer Academy and it takes you around Dumfries, Castle Douglas and Newton Stewart all the way on the A75. Route length 95.1 miles - 2 hours 38 mins.
Changing the route to go via The Queens Way (A712) is 90.3 miles - 2 hours 39 mins.
I've attached the output of both.

Do you happen to have sat nav set up for shortest rather than quickest route?

Attachments

• A75.pdf
    592.1 KB · Views: 6
  • A75 (1).pdf
    591.3 KB · Views: 5

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Do you happen to have sat nav set up for shortest rather than quickest route?
Thanks Grant.... no that's what I was trying to say... it's set for fastest route not shortest and that happens every time on that road... I'm on that road monthly these days lol...
I often wonder how many other times it does it when I don't know the road as well..
Another one it often does is take me round Newcastle to get to say Wallsend instead of through tyne tunnel ... and I haven't it set to avoid tolls etc..
Anyway thanks for your input..
Andy

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Grant.... no that's what I was trying to say... it's set for fastest route not shortest and that happens every time on that road... I'm on that road monthly these days lol...
I often wonder how many other times it does it when I don't know the road as well..
Another one it often does is take me round Newcastle to get to say Wallsend instead of through tyne tunnel ... and I haven't it set to avoid tolls etc..
Anyway thanks for your input..
Andy

No idea then why you're coming up with different routes, Andy.
On the Wallsend one,
  • route from Durham to Wallsend (using toll roads) takes me through the tunnel.
  • route from Consett to Wallsend (using toll roads) takes me through the tunnel.
  • route from Prudhoe to Wallsend (using toll roads) takes me over Scotswood Bridge and all the way north round Newcastle (A1 to A19). Don't know if that's logical?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I find that my 760 (set to 'fastest') sometimes sends me on a slightly odd route via a minor road because it thinks that the speed limit (for my vehicle) is higher on that road than the main road.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I find that my 760 (set to 'fastest') sometimes sends me on a slightly odd route via a minor road because it thinks that the speed limit (for my vehicle) is higher on that road than the main road.

@andy63
Andy, we may have a clever chappie here!:clap2: Obviously, as from the right side of the wall!:hi5:

In BaseCamp you can set up speed limits for various road types which I have done to "favour" better road types.
So, motorway 55mph, dual carriage, 50mph, etc, etc,.
Maybe this is why I'm getting more appropriate routings?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
My Garmin's chinese

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This thread has prompted me to get my Chinese sat nav out after not using it for about a year. Plugged it in to charge and all I get now is "Application i3-Primo.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down". Any ideas if there is anything I can do or is it shot?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This thread has prompted me to get my Chinese sat nav out after not using it for about a year. Plugged it in to charge and all I get now is "Application i3-Primo.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down". Any ideas if there is anything I can do or is it shot?
Seem to recollect I read somewhere that's a software error relating to a licence issue but somebody else may know better.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Done a bit more playing around and I have now got sat nav on for truck but can't change parameters for motorhome. I'm stuck with "Default Lorry" and imperial units of length, weight etc.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Done a bit more playing around and I have now got sat nav on for truck but can't change parameters for motorhome. I'm stuck with "Default Lorry" and imperial units of length, weight etc.
Looks like your in the market for a new one. No not sat nav, a UK lorry!:whistle2::imoutahere:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
go to resources, and download my sat nav files. the latest maps and programme.(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Excellent suggestion above. I did similar when mine came up with that warning and I put the whole lot on the memory card rather than the built in memory, seems to work better and has more capacity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back