7.5t on a DAF with room for a car (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
With trailer the MoHo gets a class 4 test , onboard car means its a living van and a Ministry test .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
With trailer the MoHo gets a class 4 test , onboard car means its a living van and a Ministry test .
Thats a new one on me to be fair, we have friends with a sub 7.5t van with a car in the back and the MOT is just class4 as ours is.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The full heading says

NEW 2021 RS EVOLUTION 7.5TON DAF
Introducing back to the market our very popular RS Evolution range on the 7.5ton and 10ton chassis.

so I guess he is showing the 10 ton one.
he said the 10ton one had slide out sides

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
kerb weight of a smart car is 1200kg, 400 litres of fresh is another 400kg - couple of people say 200kg 'stuff' say 300kg that would mean that empty this would have to weigh 5.4t - possible I guess
Kerb weight of a 451 SMART is 770kg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not for me as we can stay under 7500kg with the Daily chassis and I don't have the licence but I bet jongood wouldn't mind one ;)

I hear that the Mercedes Atego or even Actros are pretty grunty.
Sorry missed this bit, driving back in FH4 500

I would love a MH with a T143 stuck to the front of it , I'm not sure where the twin stacks would go though.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have never really got the logic of stuffing a car into a motorhome instead of putting it on a trailer, if you must take one with you that is. It means that you have to be around 9.5m and whatever the manufacturers say, C, M or RS you are up against the wall on payload. Take a shorter base and add a trailer, much more flexible. Morelo have just discontinued the Empire on the Daily chassis, bling is a killer when you come to weight. Morelo also no longer offer a slide out on the Daily chassis, too heavy. C have not offered a slide out on a Daily chassis.
That said it would be interesting to see the spec of the DAF 10 ton chassis, what's the ride like compared to a Mercedes or a Eurocargo? The demo did seem to have a lot of locker space occupied by fixed kit?
You are right Michael, it completely stuffs up the payload and compromises the interior layout unless you go for something taller on a heavier chassis. But I really don't get the r eluctance to take the C test. I know you took it, how did you find it?

Jon

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You are right Michael, it completely stuffs up the payload and compromises the interior layout unless you go for something taller on a heavier chassis. But I really don't get the r eluctance to take the C test. I know you took it, how did you find it?

Jon
We had to back in 2011 as we bought a 20 ton 8 wheel 4 slide Yankee and just thought getting the C was a paper exercise. After all I had been doing over 40k per year in my job, I was late 50's my wife early 60's what could we possibly have left to learn, right? Wrong. It was a great experience and I would recommend anyone to take it, but not with the pressure of needing to pass to drive your new acquisition! It does indeed open up a whole new view on lorry drivers issues on the road. The skill you gain handling a large vehicle, using mirrors, appreciating blind spots, lane management etc etc is something I use every day even in my car.
For us it gave a freedom of choice; we did go down to the Flair at <7.5 at 9.2m, this was a length we deemed more appropriate for our motor home style and my wife was into the annual medical for her C. We then missed the space of slide outs and so decided to get 9m with a slide. Our experience with Yankees had shown that really to get a slide you were going to bust 7.5 ton although plenty of importers would down plate the cheapo Yankees to sneak under but with 300kg of payload. So we decided to go back to HGV but still with 9m as our target and that is where we are now.
The arrogant me took 3 goes to pass my C, Sally only 2, which she will share with friends in conversation readily :unsure:
We also came to the conclusion after 3 years towing a car behind the 12m Yankee that maybe we should try without when we got the Flair, even though I invested €2500 in the tow hitch for just that. Electric bikes gave us limited freedom with exercise, we never did tow a car behind the Flair in 4 years! Although the trailer had a mover it was always a hassle as I would imagine getting enough space to poke the car up the arse of a van, you just need more manoeuvring space to do anything with a car and a van. But there are loads of people for whom it suits their style, so its not wrong its just different and after experience its not for us. We see Germans who have custom paint jobs for their Concordes and Morelo's AND their smart, mini or whatever to match!

arryabarth1

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
almost a 5th wheeler
Exp
forever
Hi Everyone,
My name is Mark and we are in the process of buying a 5th wheeler, we have had Rvs before on site and own a VW Crafter Van which we are thinking of selling.
Can anyone give me information on these 5th wheelers, the pros and cons??
What vehicle would be best to tow it with?
Thanks.
Mark abarth

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Everyone,
My name is Mark and we are in the process of buying a 5th wheeler, we have had Rvs before on site and own a VW Crafter Van which we are thinking of selling.
Can anyone give me information on these 5th wheelers, the pros and cons??
What vehicle would be best to tow it with?
Thanks.
Mark abarth
Hi Mark

It might be worth starting your own thread asking this question as answers and contributions directed towards you could get lost in this thread.

And welcome to the forum BTW.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back