LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Same layout as our 600, but we didn’t take the option for the bed in the table area
We’ve gone for the 140 engine over the 120 that comes as standard.

Once we’ve got our van, if anyone wants the price breakdown of our purchase, then I’m happy to divulge all.(y)
I'll definitely take you up on that.

I've just watched this German video with English subtitles

it features the 640 first and then the 600, she's very thorough and lifts the mattresses to show what's underneath. The only difference between them is the size of the bed, the whole of the living area is the same.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Just watched her looking at Hobby Vantana same bed layout, and she even has her dinner plate to show size of the washing bowl and table space. Inch sorry cm tape for shower height.

very thorough British version of this couple need to help all us purchasers!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Wildax Europa: 6.128m; two longitudinal singles that can also be set up as a generous king-size bed.

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
How about the Morocco made by Murvi
I really like the Murvi conversions, but we're after a fixed bed transverse bed now rather than anything longitudinal.
Wildax Europa: 6.128m; two longitudinal singles that can also be set up as a generous king-size bed.
Same as above, I can't change the thread title, but no longer looking for longitundal beds but back to a decent sized transverse and a larger fridge.

Sunlight Cliff 600 or Carado VC600 are the likely candidates, both the same layout with slightly different wood colours.

A fixed bed will give us masses of storage, more than we have now as our width is small, whereas beds which need to be made up every night have less storage plus the bedding needs to be stowed. Of course, the Europa could be left made up but it still leaves the storage question, there wouldn't be room to put what we have under a bed with a width of 123cm.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just checked again. If we’d have asked for the manufacturer to up rate our light chassis to £3500kgs, it would have cost £519, with no need for wheel changes.

Weight increase from the light 3300kgs chassis to 3500kgs maxi (but you need 16” steel wheels), £834.

Weight increase from 3500kgs light to 3500kgs maxi (again with 16” steel wheels), £319.

To have alloys, 16”, in conjunction with 3500kgs light upgrade or £3500kgs maxi chassis, another £469.

It’s one of those situations when, where do you stop? I found plenty of information about payload on here, so hopefully I’ve got my sums right. :unsure: ;)
The standard 3300kg chassis can normally be uprated purely as a paper exercise, ie no modification, no physical changes, otherwise you couldn't do it yourself afterwards ... what they appear to be charging for is going from the standard Fiat chassis to the Maxi light chassis but you shouldn't need to do that, all you want is a new COC with 3500kg on it, nothing else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The standard 3300kg chassis can normally be uprated purely as a paper exercise, ie no modification, no physical changes, otherwise you couldn't do it yourself afterwards ... what they appear to be charging for is going from the standard Fiat chassis to the Maxi light chassis but you shouldn't need to do that, all you want is a new COC with 3500kg on it, nothing else.

Why on earth would they not plate it as 3500kg in the first place?

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I've noticed that other manufacturers are plating PVCs as 3300kg, which seems ridiculous to me, especially when so many are being sold as a 4 birth. Not sure I'd want 4 people in a 5.4m van even if there were 4 seat belts and 4 sleeping places!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No idea, but they've been doing it for years and other funsters have uprated without any physical alterations at all to 3500kg.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

The axle weights are not the same for the standard 3300kg and 3500kg chassis’, each is 100kg less which over the two axles gives the 200kg total difference.

The standard 3300kg chassis has axle weights of 1750kg and 1900kg.
The standard 3500kg chassis has axle weights of 1850 and 2000kg.

My old adria was 3300kg and I enquired about uprating it to 3500kg. All I had to do was make sure the tyres were adequately rated. Though I never did get around to it.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Maybe they could use cheaper tyres/wheels for the lower weight. However, people were saying it was a paper exercise which suggests these didn't need to be changed.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I know it's a minor point but I like to read in bed and have a cuppa in bed in the morning and one thing that bothers me with many motorhomes/PVCs is the inability to sit up in bed - either because there is a shelf above your head or you would be leaning on a window etc. I can just about sit up in our HymerVan 572 when we have it configured as twin singles (shelf above head so I can't sit up absolutely straight but have mastered the angle now). If we configure it as a large double transverse bed then I would be leaning against the window although I can sort of wedge myself in a corner. I would like to go to a PVC at some point so I will be looking out for this when doing my research - although I suspect in most cases I will be leaning against the windows.
Our Rapido V68 doesn't have windows in the back doors, so the longitudinal fixed single beds (or giant double) are perfect for sitting up in bed. A favourite spot for Mrs mikebeaches for her evening reading session. Stock internal pic.

1598041219658.png

IMG_20190206_135221547.jpg

Last edited:

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
Our Rapido V68 doesn't have windows in the back doors, so the longitudinal fixed single beds (or giant double) are perfect for sitting up in bed. A favourite spot for Mrs mikebeaches for her evening reading session. Stock internal pic.

View attachment 417898

View attachment 417897
Now that’s exactly what I mean. Adding that to my list for possible upgrades 👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Maybe they could use cheaper tyres/wheels for the lower weight. However, people were saying it was a paper exercise which suggests these didn't need to be changed.
The combined axle weights for the 3300kg chassis comes in at 3650kg so still over the magic 3500kg so there must be something else that we're not being 'told' about these new vehicles so the tyre rating may be what makes the difference.

I wouldn't put anything passed them to save a few £....

HalfFullorHalfEmpty

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread. We are currently agonising over whether to stick with a 6M PVC or move up to a 6.4 M PVC and it has been a great help to take a look at many of the vans listed on here.

The Rapido V68 continues to be one of my favourites, but I think that the Sunlight and the Adria Twin give it a run for its money. My OH is *really* fretful about anything longer than 6M. I pointed out that our current van is longer than a 6.36 van when the bike rack is down/in use, but he claims that that is somehow 'different'. :rolleyes:

I think the transverse beds in a 6 M will be a regrettable compromise (we both get up more than once in the night), and he thinks that a longer van will be a regrettable compromise (we occasionally get into hot water already with our 6 M van due to the tiny roads and car parks we use).

We have even discussed buying a small campervan (sub 5.3 M or so) and towing a caravan with it, or kitting out a toad for our next PVC! These discussions have been very stressful! o_O

Anyway, thanks to to the OP and to those who have made suggestions! Very helpful!

:dogthanks:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back