Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We already have a transverse bed, the transverse element is fine but we'd just rather have a wider bed.

I had a look at the P2 Relax but we like our dinette, we use the seat belt fixings for the dog harnesses and at night one sleeps on the dinette seat and the other in a bed on the floor.

Plus it has the small fridge which we'd like swap out.

Just had a look at that one, double checked the bed (not because I doubt you) but saw that it does have a shaped bed to be smaller at the bottom, length is great and width is coming in at 157/150 which is definitely the biggest width I've seen on a transverse! 157 = Just about 5ft 2, and 150 = 4ft 11.

Interestingly although the fridge is tucked at the end of the kitchen unit in front of the side door, its a good size, much bigger than our current fridge. I don't mind whether its separate to the kitchen unit or a decent size as either works for us.

Thank you, straight to the top of our list of contenders!

The 601’s bed is even bigger, but I think the van is 6.36m(?) long. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We already have a transverse bed, the transverse element is fine but we'd just rather have a wider bed.
I've sussed out why you want a wider bed ... you've put on a load of weight during lockdown haven't you! Should we call you Roly and Poly now???? :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can go to 6.36 you could leave the rear bed in a Campscout made up into a humungous kingsized bed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The 601’s bed is even bigger, but I think the van is 6.36m(?) long. (y)
If you can go to 6.36 you could leave the rear bed in a Campscout made up into a humungous kingsized bed!
We don't want to go to more than 6m, I don't think I'd be comfortable driving more than that.
I've sussed out why you want a wider bed ... you've put on a load of weight during lockdown haven't you! Should we call you Roly and Poly now???? :rofl:
Luckily I haven't put on weight in lockdown and in fact lost 15kg in hospital, put on a bit, lost a bit and just generally focusing more on intake!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Took a quick look at the sunlight ... you need to watch as the standard ones are 3300kg so I guess are low payload but you can upgrade to a 3500kg exclusive model.
I do think it’s worth looking at longitudinal both for plenty of width and easy loo trips at night ... none of us are getting any younger 😂😂😂

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Took a quick look at the sunlight ... you need to watch as the standard ones are 3300kg so I guess are low payload but you can upgrade to a 3500kg exclusive model.
I do think it’s worth looking at longitudinal both for plenty of width and easy loo trips at night ... none of us are getting any younger 😂😂😂
I saw that on the exclusive model, and in fact priced it up to see how much it would cost for the extras and its a nice price.
I have a feeling that if I couldn't get out of a transverse bed, especially if it was a good width then I'd have problems getting out of a longitunal. Still if we went for the Sunlight then I could have the 3rd berth in the diner and the dogs could share with Mark :sneaky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I saw that on the exclusive model, and in fact priced it up to see how much it would cost for the extras and its a nice price.
I have a feeling that if I couldn't get out of a transverse bed, especially if it was a good width then I'd have problems getting out of a longitunal. Still if we went for the Sunlight then I could have the 3rd berth in the diner and the dogs could share with Mark :sneaky:
We went for the Campscout with longitudinal singles to make it easier to get in and out instead of me having to do a 'body flip and flop' over hubby to get to the rear near the back doors in our previous transverse bed Familyscout (I always go to bed after him), however with our Carthago I have the double at the rear and he has the front drop down ... I still have Tazzy trying to snuggle next to me but at least she can't shove me out now as there's plenty of room to stretch out. :giggle:

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Tbh everything with vans is a compromise ... you just need to work out which ones you can live with ... Sounds as if you’re getting there 😉.
If we all liked the same thing they wouldn’t sell so many different models.
I'm amazed by just how many variations on a theme there are with some manufacturers and they must be selling them all otherwise why have them.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We're all so picky with our individual requirements that you would sell very little with only one model.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

We looked at getting the XV Special Edition, but black paintwork is hard to maintain.

We ordered the 3300kgs model, knowing if the payload didn’t work for us then we can upgrade it to 3500kgs. However, we’ve toured on motorcycles for years so know how to pack light.

We then added all three option packs, Silver paint, various other factory fit extras. The dealer is fitting 2 x 11kgs Gaslow system, Thule awning, bbq point, DAB/satnav/reverse camera unit, Motorhome MiFi and it’s coming in several thousand pounds cheaper than the Special Edition.

In negotiations with the dealer about fitting Remis blinds and a towbar at the moment. (y)

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Have a look at the compass Avantgarde cv20 they are sub 6mtr with single beds in the rear we love it elddis also do versions of this as the cv40 and cv60
I looked at these vans before, its a lounge to convert to a bed rather than a fixed bed, our high fixed bed although small in width (as said before) has a decent sized garage underneath and we can store a lot of "gubbins".

English vans mostly seem to go the lounge and dinette route whereas European usually go the fixed bed and dinette route. We've found the fixed bed works much better for us, no messing about with nightly bed making or lack of storage, now the bed is made up all the time and the space underneath is full of things which can be accessed from the back doors or inside.

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We looked at getting the XV Special Edition, but black paintwork is hard to maintain.

We ordered the 3300kgs model, knowing if the payload didn’t work for us then we can upgrade it to 3500kgs. However, we’ve toured on motorcycles for years so know how to pack light.

We then added all three option packs, Silver paint, various other factory fit extras. The dealer is fitting 2 x 11kgs Gaslow system, Thule awning, bbq point, DAB/satnav/reverse camera unit, Motorhome MiFi and it’s coming in several thousand pounds cheaper than the Special Edition.

In negotiations with the dealer about fitting Remis blinds and a towbar at the moment. (y)
Its definitely the top of our list for now, although that could change by the time we get to that point, but the more research I do the better.

We already know that a transverse bed works fine for us and having a larger fridge with more kitchen worktop space is a real bonus, its all very well having a flap which can be fitted onto the end of the worktop but it blocks the sliding door so we only have it up when we're actually sat down and eating as its a good place for the person in the turned driving seat to put a mug if the table is in its small size. I tend to put things onto the bed while shuffling the right size plates, chopping board, rolls of foil/clingfilm etc. A small van means imaginative storing, I can get everything in, but in order to get out something at the bottom like the chopping board it means everything on top has to come out!

We would almost certainly want the 3500kg, we always have to factor in the dogs and all their gear they travel with, the dog food weight easily adds up for a trip of more than a week. We don't travel light in the way that you probably mean, but we certainly don't have all the comforts of home, we're somewhere in the middle I expect.

If I was buying one now then I'd want the Fer grey metallic, we saw one when we were away a couple of weeks ago and felt it was different and looked very smart.

We love the van we have and it meets all our requirements right now, its this size so it not only fits on the drive but is easy to get off without having to move one car off the drive and/or the other from where it is on the road. It would just give added hassle which we don't need.

I hope you love yours as well when you get it and have great adventures!

Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
We wanted exactly the same as you. We went to all the shows over 2 years, checked out all the brands and finally ordered our new Fifer Touring L from East Neuk Campervans www.eastneukcampervans.co.uk

It is just full of really practical designs. Tons of storage and space to move around inside (unlike most), and importantly the rear bed can be configured as strictly 2 long single, transverse double or (as we do), made up as a double but used as 2 singles so there is bags of room. Quality of construction is noticeably better than most IMHO. There is a You Tube vid from a few years back but showing older fabric colours (ours is shades of grey). Good luck with your search!
20200720_080443.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Get the dealer to ask the manufacturer for a new COC with 3500kg on it rather than the standard 3300kg for your model as it shouldn't cost anything for them to do that and it can be registered at 3500kg thus saving you having to fork out for it in the future, all you need do then is get a new VIN plate (cheap off Ebay or make your own).

When we bought our Campscout it was advertised at 3500kg but as it was on the heavy maxi chassis we had the dealer register it at 4250kg without any issues.

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
I know it's a minor point but I like to read in bed and have a cuppa in bed in the morning and one thing that bothers me with many motorhomes/PVCs is the inability to sit up in bed - either because there is a shelf above your head or you would be leaning on a window etc. I can just about sit up in our HymerVan 572 when we have it configured as twin singles (shelf above head so I can't sit up absolutely straight but have mastered the angle now). If we configure it as a large double transverse bed then I would be leaning against the window although I can sort of wedge myself in a corner. I would like to go to a PVC at some point so I will be looking out for this when doing my research - although I suspect in most cases I will be leaning against the windows.

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I know it's a minor point but I like to read in bed and have a cuppa in bed in the morning and one thing that bothers me with many motorhomes/PVCs is the inability to sit up in bed - either because there is a shelf above your head or you would be leaning on a window etc. I can just about sit up in our HymerVan 572 when we have it configured as twin singles (shelf above head so I can't sit up absolutely straight but have mastered the angle now). If we configure it as a large double transverse bed then I would be leaning against the window although I can sort of wedge myself in a corner. I would like to go to a PVC at some point so I will be looking out for this when doing my research - although I suspect in most cases I will be leaning against the windows.
Although it may not seem possible, I often sit upright in bed in our current van, I just swivel round and put my back against the washroom wall, I do lean on a pillow though and not just the wall as its a bit hard. One of the downsides of such a narrow bed is that my feet are pressed into the rear doors, with a wider bed this wouldn't happen.

I think it would depend what length of PVC you were going for plus which way the bed(s) go. Anyone with a PVC will tell you that you absolutely can't have it all and its just a case of what are your absolute must haves and what are your would be nice to haves.

For us a 6m van with lengthwise beds would give us what we're looking for sleeping but the living area would be the same, I'd rather have a wider transverse with a bigger fridge, but as said before we're all different and I'm sure you'll have different needs to me.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

Plenty of room to sit up in bed, even with overhead storage cupboards running both sides. (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Get the dealer to ask the manufacturer for a new COC with 3500kg on it rather than the standard 3300kg for your model as it shouldn't cost anything for them to do that and it can be registered at 3500kg thus saving you having to fork out for it in the future, all you need do then is get a new VIN plate (cheap off Ebay or make your own).

When we bought our Campscout it was advertised at 3500kg but as it was on the heavy maxi chassis we had the dealer register it at 4250kg without any issues.

Too late for that, paperwork already in the pipeline with DVLA.

There was an option for the 3500kgs heavier chassis, which at the time of my order was over a £1000 more expensive.

Having done my research, I believe I can get it up plated to 3500kgs, for between £300 and £400. However, we do travel light. If it’s not going to used it stays at home (I know you have to carry certain things that you hope never to have to use(y)).

Once we’ve taken delivery, we’ll test pack, weigh and see where we go from there. I could always leave my wife and her stuff at home if needs be. ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Too late for that, paperwork already in the pipeline with DVLA.

There was an option for the 3500kgs heavier chassis, which at the time of my order was over a £1000 more expensive.

Having done my research, I believe I can get it up plated to 3500kgs, for between £300 and £400. However, we do travel light. If it’s not going to used it stays at home (I know you have to carry certain things that you hope never to have to use(y)).

Once we’ve taken delivery, we’ll test pack, weigh and see where we go from there. I could always leave my wife and her stuff at home if needs be. ;)
The up-plating will just be a paper exercise hence why I said to get the COC, too late I appreciate now, but it wouldn't have meant having to pay for the 3500kg chassis.

If you do need to uprate do a search on the forum as there are plenty of threads about it, John Ruffles is about half the cost of SVTech.

Feb 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Compass Avantgarde CV 20 - took delivery 1st March so have had only two short outings so far. The single lengthway beds are comfortable - we changed from an Adria Vision with a fixed transverse bed, which became rather inconvenient, my having to climb over my husband to get out of the bed! Only drawback with the Compass is having to make up the beds every night but it does not take too much time.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
The up-plating will just be a paper exercise hence why I said to get the COC, too late I appreciate now, but it wouldn't have meant having to pay for the 3500kg chassis.

If you do need to uprate do a search on the forum as there are plenty of threads about it, John Ruffles is about half the cost of SVTech.

Just checked again. If we’d have asked for the manufacturer to up rate our light chassis to £3500kgs, it would have cost £519, with no need for wheel changes.

Weight increase from the light 3300kgs chassis to 3500kgs maxi (but you need 16” steel wheels), £834.

Weight increase from 3500kgs light to 3500kgs maxi (again with 16” steel wheels), £319.

To have alloys, 16”, in conjunction with 3500kgs light upgrade or £3500kgs maxi chassis, another £469.

It’s one of those situations when, where do you stop? I found plenty of information about payload on here, so hopefully I’ve got my sums right. :unsure: ;)

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Its definitely the top of our list for now, although that could change by the time we get to that point, but the more research I do the better.

We already know that a transverse bed works fine for us and having a larger fridge with more kitchen worktop space is a real bonus, its all very well having a flap which can be fitted onto the end of the worktop but it blocks the sliding door so we only have it up when we're actually sat down and eating as its a good place for the person in the turned driving seat to put a mug if the table is in its small size. I tend to put things onto the bed while shuffling the right size plates, chopping board, rolls of foil/clingfilm etc. A small van means imaginative storing, I can get everything in, but in order to get out something at the bottom like the chopping board it means everything on top has to come out!

We would almost certainly want the 3500kg, we always have to factor in the dogs and all their gear they travel with, the dog food weight easily adds up for a trip of more than a week. We don't travel light in the way that you probably mean, but we certainly don't have all the comforts of home, we're somewhere in the middle I expect.

If I was buying one now then I'd want the Fer grey metallic, we saw one when we were away a couple of weeks ago and felt it was different and looked very smart.

We love the van we have and it meets all our requirements right now, its this size so it not only fits on the drive but is easy to get off without having to move one car off the drive and/or the other from where it is on the road. It would just give added hassle which we don't need.

I hope you love yours as well when you get it and have great adventures!

I found on YouTube a German dealer video of the 2021 model and also if the translator works an article here
<Broken link removed>[/URL]

having looked at pictures of the 640 special there don’t appear to be slats under the mattresses, where as looking at the video there are for 2021.

imterested to hear peoples comments as I must admit, if once we’ve tried out a hire van based on this layout, being a canny scot in Yorkshire, this is appealing to my pocket as even with upgrades it’s several thousands cheeper than many other brands. Ok it may not have the little niceties some have, but I hope to be outside much of the time

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
This is for the youtube,

the magazine may not work as my google had translated it from German to English. I will try to sort another link for that

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Links doesn’t work for me I’m afraid. (y)
If you search for sunlight 640 2021 on google, you should get this promobil option as per attached photo. Doesn’t give a lot, but I translated it as and found there is much more news of European 2021 models in this mag than any uk mag.

Attachments

• 4FC364A3-46FC-4796-A17C-884C01101EB4.png
    4FC364A3-46FC-4796-A17C-884C01101EB4.png
    504.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The Sunlight Cliff 600 and the Carado CV 600 are essentially the same van, although the wood in the Carado is slightly darker.

They're both part of the Hymer Group although Sunlight is the subsidiary of Dethleffs and Carado the subsidiary of Hymer.

<Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Same layout as our 600, but we didn’t take the option for the bed in the table area
We’ve gone for the 140 engine over the 120 that comes as standard.

Once we’ve got our van, if anyone wants the price breakdown of our purchase, then I’m happy to divulge all.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back