6kg gas bottle (1 Viewer)

MrsMe

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
hello again all,
Second post and second silly question... well I think it might be how longs a piece of string? But here goes.

How long should a 6 kg gas bottle last if we were to go wild camping. The only thing we can think of that it would be used for is powering the fridge parked up in a field for the weekend and a tiny gas BBQ

And... could you let us know how long your gas bottles last and what you use them for so we have an idea or indication to judge from.

The bottles we have (2) are propane if that matters and difference, we think they are full but not 100% certain.

I'm sure, in fact, I know I have lots of questions to come but I can only cope with one at a time! Hahaha

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Well, how long's a piece of string? (Dohh, you already said that!).
We find on average that our 6kg bottle will last 3'ish weeks but there are so many variables like; the weather, how much oven cooking, heating, hot water, EHU or not, etc. Also, I'm assuming 3 continuous weeks rather than a few weekends and smaller trips away.
It really is a difficult one to answer.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It will depend, mostly, on how cold it is. If you're worried about running out, having two bottles should put you at ease. You will soon discover how long a bottle will last, keeping a full spare handy to replace it with, and that will probably be your best measure. I'm sure, when caravanning, that we never managed to use a whole bottle in a weekend.
Do not use auto-changeover, if you have one, until you've established your rough consumption rate. Keep the reserve bottle switched off. Otherwise you could end up using up both bottles and will still not know how long the first lasted for. BTW, it is more than likely to be cold, wet and after dark when it's time to changeover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you do not leave hot water and heating on all day, just switch hot water on when you need it or even boil a kettle to wash up the gas lasts a lot longer. The van soon warms up when you switch the heating on, it's not like skiing in the alps.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
We have monitored the gas & find we use about a litre a day using the fridge, hot water(when required) & cooking (oven & hob)
So 6kg bottle will last 12 days

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMe

MrsMe

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Thank you for all your reply's, you have been a great help. You never know, this time next year I may be able to answer some questions!

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We used a 6kg bottle (refillable) in eight days which included the Malvern Show and a few days "off-grid" afterwards. Fridge, cooking and hot water twice a day for around 30mins each time.

(On thinking about it, that seems a lot for us, can usually manage 3 weeks on two bottles.)

Oh yes, :welcome3: and ask away. Remember there's no such thing as a daft question - but you may get some daft answers, after all this is MotorhomeFUN!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We used a 6kg bottle (refillable) in eight days which included the Malvern Show and a few days "off-grid" afterwards. Fridge, cooking and hot water twice a day for around 30mins each time.

(On thinking about it, that seems a lot for us, can usually manage 3 weeks on two bottles.)

Oh yes, :welcome3: and ask away. Remember there's no such thing as a daft question - but you may get some daft answers, after all this is MotorhomeFUN![/QUOTE
Edit.. Posted Wrong thread

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
We average at this time of year in France 14kg over 3 weeks. Hot water on every morning for showers, we have large fridge freezer (160Lt) and use heating occassionaly, I would expect to use a bit more in the UK.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
We powered thru our first 6kg bottle when we got our van. but it was firkin cold out and we had the hot water and heating on solid and cooked using oven and hobs with a full blown fry up every morning. lasted 3 days.

now we have learnt to use EHU and manage the gas usage for just light cooking they last forever.

Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I don't mean to highjack this thread but does everyone only run the hot water boiler when they actually need hot water? When off ehu I always leave the hot water permanently on. I thought keeping it hot would use less gas than heating it up from cold every time.

Allan

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
When we got our first Moho in July 2016 we got 2 x 13kg Calor Propane cylinders. We have been away virtually every weekend although usually on EHU, but not always. We preferred the heating on gas in winter as it heated more quickly, and we could then turn it right down. The cooking is all gas when we do it inside, we use the 2nd cylinder outside then using the Cadac. The first bottle under these conditions lasted well over a year. We have decided to swap them for 6kg bottles as they empty as this will give us back about 20kg of payload. I also want to fit an external BBQ point so we use everything off the same bottle - in that way we hill have plenty of time to get the emptied one refilled.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@awg As there's only about 11 litres in the average boiler it warms up very quickly so it's not worth leaving it on all the time - with us first one up switches it on then there's plenty of hot water for washing and breakfast dishes. If you want (need?) to be really careful, just boil a kettle with the amount of water you need, uses even less gas. On the other hand, if we've got unmetered hookup (rarely for us these days) we leave it on the low setting most of the time as it takes much longer to warm up purely on electric.

You could of course use the timer built into the control panel - except ours has never worked properly (rubbish Nordelectronica kit).

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I don't mean to highjack this thread but does everyone only run the hot water boiler when they actually need hot water? When off ehu I always leave the hot water permanently on. I thought keeping it hot would use less gas than heating it up from cold every time.

Allan
Throughout our travels whether on EHU or not, we have hot water available on tap (see what I did there?).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back