Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
I have the Chausson 628 [2018] and would like to take a scooter with me, I think the garage has a capacity of 150kgs which would just do but leave little spare weight for anything else so thinking of a rear mounted carrier - any ideas on capacity or who would supply, thanks

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Would the rear mounted carrier carry the scooter on the back but further behind the rear axle ?

If so you are creating more weight onto the rear axle than if the scooter was inside the garage.

I presume the weight of 150kgs is for inside the garage to protect the floor and not to overload the axle ?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Have you weighed the axles yet? That needs to be your starting point :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gixer

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Not sure about axle weight and can't check - lockdown !! Also not sure about garage weight limit - it says it inside the door but can't remember what else - will check next time I visit

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The garage limit is probably there because the load you can put on the rear axle is limited. If you move the Scooter further back on a carrier that will increase the load on the rear axle even more, because of the increase of the cantilever effect. And if you then started loading more stuff in the garage it would overload the rear axle even more.

First you need to find out what your plated weight limits are, overall and on each axle. To do that you will need to find the plate that Chausson (not Fiat) put on; it will probably be under the bonnet. And then you need to get to a weighbridge loaded with all the stuff you normally take when on the road and check what the actual total weight and the weights on each axle are. With that info people will be able to offer you more informed advice.

You may find that you do not have enough spare capacity to carry the Scooter on the motorhome wherever you put it. In that case you will need to look to see if you can increase the weight limits (if your licence will allow that). If that is not possible then the only answer will be a towbar and motorbike trailer

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
this could be a solution
Used one on ebay for 650 buy it now or 300 quid bid

It should be noted they come with complications so researching their legality in countries where you might go.

peterc10 s post is the one to note.

Generally if the motorhome has a garage it has the capability of carrying a scooter, and then it is the uprate and licence issue which has to be passed.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you are going to use a trailer of some sort you will need to factor in to your calculations the weight of the towbar you will need to install and also the amount of nose weight the trailer will impart onto it. Most, if not all, of that will have to come off the allowance of weight in the garage I suspect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back