6000 zloti fine for no toll box in Poland (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Met an unhappy French couple yesterday. They had just been fined £1250 for using the A4 motorway in Poland for about 100 km without a Via Toll box ( over 3.5 ton)
This was a culmination of four fines for one single trip ( passing four reference points or whatever they are called )

Wouldn't you think the police would have let them off for making an "honest" mistake?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No, why didn't they have a toll? box being French I would think that they are quite familiar with the principle of pay per km motorways.

OK £1250 sound steep.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its not as simple as the French system martin @funflair more similar to the Czech setup which (don't know how you got on) but we found quite difficult to purchase and return

IMO it is absolutely ridiculous that all these Eastern European countries have their own version of go boxes. I've seen trucks with more than 6 devices stuck to the windscreen, that has to affect their vision. Surely they could standardise it to one device.

To add to this it is very difficult to find up to date information stating which roads in Poland are subject to their 'go box'. Last time I looked it stated that motorways and some express roads! how on earth are foreigners to know which roads are considered express roads.

When you think about it, their richest neighbour from where they could attract a substantial amount of tourist revenue tend to have motorhomes that are in excess of 3500kgs and thus affected by this short sighted ruling. Dumb or what!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jon

Indeed it is not as simple as the French system you are right, the Czech system we found OK and easy to take out and hand back the box but maybe that was because we had been forwarded by intrepid travellers like yourself, I am assuming that there is something that tells you that you are on a toll road but possibly I am deluded.

I do agree though a standard system would be sensible, but you don't expect sense do you.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It was about five years ago we heard of a couple who got caught out the same in Poland. Unfortunately as their card withdrawals were restricted per day, they had to spend, I think three days, in a compound until they were able to draw enough money out to pay the fine. They said they had not seen any toll signs. Put us off going there on that trip, we'd had such a brilliant trip that we didn't want anything to mar it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It was about five years ago we heard of a couple who got caught out the same in Poland. Unfortunately as their card withdrawals were restricted per day, they had to spend, I think three days, in a compound until they were able to draw enough money out to pay the fine. They said they had not seen any toll signs. Put us off going there on that trip, we'd had such a brilliant trip that we didn't want anything to mar it.
I read about that one actually, all pretty harsh and yes it does put people off travelling to these places, or certainly without doing a lot of planning and homework first.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the problem is that a lot of people that are only a little bit over 3500kg think they can get away with it with "camping car SVP" and it doesn't work with most other places.

Martin

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its not as simple as the French system martin @funflair more similar to the Czech setup which (don't know how you got on) but we found quite difficult to purchase and return

IMO it is absolutely ridiculous that all these Eastern European countries have their own version of go boxes. I've seen trucks with more than 6 devices stuck to the windscreen, that has to affect their vision. Surely they could standardise it to one device.

To add to this it is very difficult to find up to date information stating which roads in Poland are subject to their 'go box'. Last time I looked it stated that motorways and some express roads! how on earth are foreigners to know which roads are considered express roads.

When you think about it, their richest neighbour from where they could attract a substantial amount of tourist revenue tend to have motorhomes that are in excess of 3500kgs and thus affected by this short sighted ruling. Dumb or what!

This is the EU , utopia to many , but it’ll never work , best out (y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
It’s a bit of a faff all these different toll charges. You can get caught out if you’re not careful. I thought Europe was supposed to standardise things.
Noooo
Phil

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes thats similar to the plan I saw, but relating it to the actual roads and working out the alternatives is not easy. I have many other countries that are easier to see so it puts me off visiting Poland.
Can't argue with that, set up for cars and trucks I guess and we fall into a trap in the middle.

Martin

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Yes the toll roads seem to be totally random. There is little or no warning that you are nearing one. Even some inconspicuous roads are tolled

My comment about being let off for an "honest " mistake was tongue in cheek.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It’s a bit of a faff all these different toll charges. You can get caught out if you’re not careful. I thought Europe was supposed to standardise things.
Noooo
Phil
I think it just proves that different countries in the EU can actually make their own laws ..............

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Was I lucky then. We drove home through Poland used motorways coming out of Warsaw, completely ignorant of any need for a box. We have a pvc as pictured but less than 3.5t .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is the EU , utopia to many , but it’ll never work , best out (y)
Indeed, none of them ever accepted our three pin 13A plug. And the tag I can buy to get over the toll bridge on the A38 at Plymouth doesn't even work anywhere else in the UK! The sooner Devon leaves the UK the better and if they ask nicely we might let Cornwall join us. :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It does seem daft you can have all those toll boxes on the dashboard and windscreen blocking your view but can be prosecuted for having other stuff there blocking your view when driving. It’s a funny old world.

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We travelled across Northern Poland then later down the east side and back across the south side using Toll roads as and when. ( They appear when you least expect them ) . We have just given the box back at the Czech border and got back the deposit and what was left on it.

Total cost £33

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back