600 trouble free miles touring Scotland then 20 miles from home! (2 Viewers)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Just back from a lovely tour of Dumfries and Galloway and the Ayrshire coast. Covered 600 trouble free miles on uncrowded roads then 20 miles from home Mr White van man crosses the line, wipes out the wing mirror and drives on leaving us with a £300 bill to replace it. Unbelievably angry!!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I once did a 3000 mile tour of Europe in the car and got hit on the motorway less than three miles from home

Silly girl was texting and didn't see us cruising at 70 in the inside lane

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I feel your pain..... I had a Motorhomes do that to our van because he was too busy bloody waving..... He didn't stop and put me £325 out of pocket!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Bad luck mate. Those mirrors are not cheap. All the more reason to have a dash cam I suppose

Soon there'll be no space left on the inside of the windscreen, with all these gadgets

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks. I do think a dash cam and some mirror guards might be a good investment!

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sorry to hear of your woes, white van man did for us too. Try www.wingmirrorman.co.uk for a reasonable price. Very glad you enjoyed your tour in our part of the country.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Just bought a pair for my Ducato, £235 delivered. These are the all electric type and were purchased on next day delivery from http://www.magnumvs.co.uk/
Very helpful and easy to deal with. Fiat quoted £400 each.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Friends of ours were travelling down the M1 late one Sunday evening in their 12 week old Bailey motor home. Inside lane, cruise set to 70 road fairly quiet and a Mondeo which must have been travelling at a fairly outrageous speed and either fell asleep or was on phone clipped central barrier bounced off and speared him across the carriageway and he hit the motorhome on the rear corner causing the motorhome to spear off at an angle straight in to central barrier.

No life threatening injuries and there dog was in a cage but Moho a right off.

As inoccent party they did not get best treatment from emergency services who wanted dog to travel in back off Moho alone on back off transporter and then the insurance wanted to give them second hand value.

So scary something like that can happen whilst minding your own business.

Upvote 0

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
We did a 2800 mile trip down through France Spain Portruagal and Morocco, 500 + miles in the Desert, and back to Edinburgh to see daughter, 170 miles from home leaving Edinburgh taken out by a tractor and rite off.

Ps Pics in our website below

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was 19 years old and had bought a BMW 520 tax free in Germany. I was a bit nervous of my long journey home doing 5 countries in a day. Germany>Holland>Belgium>France>England. I needn't have worried all those miles trouble free...until

The 406 North Circular in London. I got rear ended at red lights on a roundabout. Not too much damage but I'd need new lights and a bumper. And I only had third party insurance. I leapt out and I must have looked a little irate as the middle aged gentleman refused to get out or even open his window to speak to me. I retrieved a pen to record his number and guess what? He was a bloody German. I'd travelled all that way from Germany to be hit by one in London. :D I dented his drivers door with a size nine and never heard any more about it. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
It's just not right is it! The van is going in on Wednesday for a new mirror. Gone for a genuine one as it's only 6 months old. Now things have settled I'm glad the driver didn't stop - not been that angry for a long time and doubt I could have controlled myself!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back