Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thatā€™s the time itā€™s just took me.
Iā€™ve just had a practice run on changing the spare wheel using the supplied Fiat jack and a Dewalt cordless impact socket wrench. That was with NO preparation, just getting everything out from where I keep stuff and putting it all back in the correct place, not just chucking it back in garage.
Wonder how much quicker it would be with hydraulic legs??šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I guess I wonā€™t be getting a call from Lewis Hamilton anytime soon!šŸ˜šŸ˜

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Are you bored Ady šŸ˜‚
No Iā€™m doing a practice/familiarisation run in case I have to change it on the road.
I wonder how many of us have ever done it or do they leave it till it happens then they donā€™t know where owt is. That said the majority will probably call out the rescue services to do it, but at nearly 7 mins this boy will do it his senšŸ‘
I will put all my passengers behind the Armco whilst I do itšŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Sounds good! but you don't say if you actually changed a wheel on the motor using the spare from the carrier. Was the van loaded?? because I have found the Fiat Jack useless, you need the strength of Solomon to turn it, if you have can I travel with you? you'd be handy to have.:rolleyes:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know you joke about calling out recovery but Iā€™d recommend it if on a motorway, dads mate was killed while changing a tyre on M74 in broad daylight. Iā€™d at least call the motorway agency so they can put out cones for you, might waste 30 minutes but save a life.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
No Iā€™m doing a practice/familiarisation run in case I have to change it on the road.
I wonder how many of us have ever done it or do they leave it till it happens then they donā€™t know where owt is. That said the majority will probably call out the rescue services to do it, but at nearly 7 mins this boy will do it his senšŸ‘
Well try and practicing opening a can of beer for your guests in the unlikely event you try it (only joking my old mate )šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Sounds good! but you don't say if you actually changed a wheel on the motor using the spare from the carrier. Was the van loaded?? because I have found the Fiat Jack useless, you need the strength of Solomon to turn it, if you have can I travel with you? you'd be handy to have.:rolleyes:
Yes changed the wheel from where everything is whilst travelling, the spare is in the garage and the van is 80% loaded.

lorger sorry to hear thatšŸ˜ž I have changed a couple of tyres on the M1 in the past. I would assess the situation at the time, and also prob would depend on which side I was changing, Lane1 side, Iā€™d probably leave it to the emergency servicesšŸ‘

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Oh come on he's from Yorkshire do I bet he can open a can of beer silently just so he doesn't have to share
Just a bit if advice it's worth undoing your wheelnuts and then retorqueing them once a year becsusevthere is nothing worse than won't undo when your on the side of the road in dark and rain and probably with SWMBO moaning at you for getting the puncture in the first place

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Oh come on he's from Yorkshire do I bet he can open a can of beer silently just so he doesn't have to share
Just a bit if advice it's worth undoing your wheelnuts and then retorqueing them once a year becsusevthere is nothing worse than won't undo when your on the side of the road in dark and rain and probably with SWMBO moaning at you for getting the puncture in the first place
Silently , he can do it in his pocket šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
First thing I do with a new to me vehicle, wheel off, a smear of copper slip on back of wheel, bit on threads, and torque to specified torque.šŸ‘
Been caught out once in my youth, never againšŸ˜‰šŸ‘šŸ‘

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I remember a time we as a family were returning home in our Rover 12. Not sure exactly but I think it was an important football match we all wanted to see on telly. Dad said we have a flat tyre. We all exited car and Dad instructed us to different tasks. We were back on the road in minutes.
By the way this was before Lewis Hamilton was even born!!!!!!!

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thatā€™s the time itā€™s just took me.
Iā€™ve just had a practice run on changing the spare wheel using the supplied Fiat jack and a Dewalt cordless impact socket wrench. That was with NO preparation, just getting everything out from where I keep stuff and putting it all back in the correct place, not just chucking it back in garage.
Wonder how much quicker it would be with hydraulic legs??šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I guess I wonā€™t be getting a call from Lewis Hamilton anytime soon!šŸ˜šŸ˜
Now you need to do it again, in the dark, wearing a head torch.:LOL:
Lane1 side, Iā€™d probably leave it to the emergency services
Many Mways lane 1 is the one you've stopped in.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Now you need to do it again, in the dark, wearing a head torch.:LOL:

Many Mways lane 1 is the one you've stopped in.
I can do stuff with the head torch on, use em for work all winter!!

Yes sadly thatā€™s true, Iā€™m quite uncomfortable with the not so smart motorways here in the U.K., I did go on one in Germany and felt very safe, the lanes were much wider, canā€™t remember where it was thošŸ¤”

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
All your passengers? Am I coming then ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
good preparation and not bad BUT, but :rolleyes:;)

it was not persisting it down, it was not dark. you were not getting encouragement from the passenger seat. or from behind the Armco. there was no trucks trying to rock your van off the jack as they pass.
and you had not just driven for 3 hours without a stop.

the laws of Murphy states all of the above will be in play when its needed.:LOL::LOL:(y)

i have done a wheel change to check it out, and I will be calling recovery unless that is not an option. :blush::imoutahere:

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I had front wheels swapped from front to rear at local garage . Alloys they had to smash them off with a sledge hammer. No way I could of done it myself. They smeared with copper grease to make easier in the future .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
copper grease is perfect on the wheel center boss / hub spigot, thats generally where they get stuck;
but I would not put any type of grease on the threads or on the contact face of the studs. you rely on the friction of the threads and and contact face of the studs to hold the wheel on.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
good preparation and not bad BUT, but :rolleyes:;)

it was not persisting it down, it was not dark. you were not getting encouragement from the passenger seat. or from behind the Armco. there was no trucks trying to rock your van off the jack as they pass.
and you had not just driven for 3 hours without a stop.

the laws of Murphy states all of the above will be in play when its needed.:LOL::LOL:(y)

i have done a wheel change to check it out, and I will be calling recovery unless that is not an option. :blush::imoutahere:
Quite true, but, my job has a mixture of driving all day some days and working outside in the elements other days, both of which I can do with no problems, however itā€™s very unlikely I would be driving at night.
I take your point about the passing traffic thoughšŸ‘

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Quite true, but, my job has a mixture of driving all day some days and working outside in the elements other days, both of which I can do with no problems, however itā€™s very unlikely I would be driving at night.
I take your point about the passing wind thoughšŸ‘
:oops:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back