Free Member
Sep 8, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi everyone, just joined because I am getting a 5th wheel (Celtic Rambler) and am completely new to this form of holidaying - never had a caravan or motorhome. My only concern is choosing the right vehicle to tow it! There seems to be some very conflicting advice out there but very little (as I can find) from people who have experience of the vehicle they are talking about. If anyone had any experienced based advice I would be happy to receive it!!
:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi welcome to the fun,
i use a mitsubishi canter double cab with tail-end of chassis shortened. 3.9 diesel motor .its 6,3 ton truck. you could look for a 3,500kg version . another vehicle is the iveco daily. or even the ford transit especially the new 5cyl 3.2 motor.
i say stay away from nissan navarras but i,m sure many love them. friends use yank pickups but i prefer mine 7 seater works fine for me. isuzu also do a nice narrow truck as well. friends on the rvoc are building an iveco daily looking good last time i saw it.
i did use a vw lt50 still have it asa spare.
cheers alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I

ian3441

Free Member
Sep 8, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Im a newbie
Dear VW Allan,
Many thanks, I think I need something more suitable to doubling up as the family car though. Why do you steer clear of the Navarro if you don't mind me asking?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, my truck is no bigger than a nissan. only taller. nissans have loads of clutch problems
.put mine next to a navarra you would be amazed.
the total length of my outfit is 10mtr .the ht is 3mtr. looks bigger on the pic.
been running mine 4 yr now .used the vwlt50 before for 7 yr before that. look on the net google nissan navarra clutch problems . pages of it. ask on here how many have had a problem.
driving mine is just like driving a van.the pic makes it look much bigger than it really is.
after all, all pickups make you look like a builder if you use them as a car.

OP
OP
I

ian3441

Free Member
Sep 8, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi VWAllan
An interesting point of view, thanks for the tip about the clutch on the Navara - I will google it later.
thanks again
Ian3441:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no probs .get as much ideas as you can . look at all the options. also some of the jap euro pickups are pushing their limits. very often the navarra as its train upped but i say better to have plenty spare. also mine as exhaust brake hardly use the normal brakes in mountain regins. i use a similar system for the airbrakes as 5th wheel company use on theirs . i copied the original brake system from my 87 vw. electric compressoris fitted on my unit. the truck as only normal hydraulic brakes. many american electric brake systems arent eu aproved.
not saying they dont work , but we do know airbrakes are eu aproved here.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you have not ordered, check these out, nice people and good to deal with and I think less expwnsive.

Link Removed

Peter

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
celtic rambler and it will have air brakes fitted - small american pickup poss ford or dodge 250 would be best, you should be ok with the short bed version but might have to do some searching to find one.
The celtic rambler are a lovely unit but a little overweight for uk/jap pickups and our pickups have to be uprated for them.
If you really want a uk/jap pickup your best advice would be to contact either the 5th wheel company in wales as they make the celtic rambler or calder leisure in scotland, both can advise on this and both can arrange the navara uprating

http://fifthwheelco.com/

Link Removed

Welcome to fun

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back