Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
having had a swift kontiki 669 for just over a year, I have been looking at 5th wheelers, anybody made the change and any views on them ? thanks

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've often thought about it ,if your not into wild camping and use mainly sites why not .The space you get is far superior than a motorhome or caravan and you have a vehicle to run about in .I looked at the ones from Calder leisure they can be towed with a Nissan Navara or the likes,if you go for an American one you need a big rig or a thirsty yank pick up to pull it with.
A lot less versatile than a Mh but if your a site orientated camper why not!

Vlad

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We started with an rv, then a 5th wheel, now in MH.
The fiver is great for space but a bugger to move about, tow, set up, etc. I won't even get into the licensing arguments depending on size and weight ( mine was 37' towed by a dodge 3500 dually total length of rig 55' and about ten tonne!)
Many fiver owners are regular HGV artic drivers and think nothing of it - but something to bear in mind!
Even the euro light ones are quite big!

Basically - it depends how you want to use it. If you're happy to tow ( and it's a different type of tow to a hitch) and be restricted to sites that will accept it then they do provide fantastic space - personally I'll be Sticking to the MH for the foreseeable future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
was only thinking of about 28 foot nothing to big, you just seem to get a lot for the money

Deleted User
Completely agree with Brewery Dave, basically horses for courses. We have found ours restrictive for touring, especially in southern Europe due to small pitch sizes and narrow site roads, trees etc. Ours is a Calder Leisure 26 ft towed by a Mazda Bt 50 so not large by 5'er standards, not something you can just turn up with without doing some checking which detracts from the freedom and enjoyment of touring. Some will have other views but that is our experience based on our owning and using,fulltiming, a 5'er for six years. The 5'er is now on a semi permanent pitch in Portugal and we have a caravan for touring.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My closest friend changed his 5er for a MoHo when he spotted how much more use I made of mine than he did or could.

I have to agree on the lavish amount of space, but he also used a Dodge to pull his with but then he owned a Garage and fuel consumption was not an issue.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Just buy a regular caravan if that is what you want.

Having owned a Fifth Wheel, Motorhomes and Caravans, I agree totally with funflair.

I remember having my Fifth wheel parked on a pitch in Spain and due to head off for the ferry in the morning. The worry was, that if somebody, especially car and caravan, set up on the pitch opposite that I would not be able to get out.

That's when I decided a Fifth Wheel was not for me.

By the way it was a Celtic Rambler behind a Nissan Navara.

:cooler:

OP
OP
oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
some good points here, I think I was seduced by the amount of space, with the motorhome I just pull up put the handbrake on and sit back, it is very convenient and at 28 foot very roomy for just the 2 of us

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have had my 5th wheel for two years now, changing from an A class Winnebago.
Being an ex arctic driver, it doesn't phase me at all. I find it very roomy, a doddle to tow, easy to set up, and versatile.
I toured Spain and Portugal last winter, and never had a problem with getting on most sites, some sites are very tight no matter what you have. Generally, it suits us to a T.
The trailer is 30ft, and a combined length of 44ft.
They tow better than a caravan, and reversing is a matter of confidence, and practice. Some caravan and car combinations are as long as my 5er.
They are easy to maintain, and with the benefit of having a truck to use all year round.
They are not for everyone, neither is a motorhome. Horses for courses.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back