Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I had no problem with my caravan whilst on my own hitching up with a motor mover but are 5th wheels manageable? I cant remember:Doh::RollEyes:

I have towed a huge fifth wheel in the states but was assist by the dealer hooking up.

We did smash a rear truck window when manoeuvring at the auction, the dealer had not mentioned the flat bed was to small for the 5th wheel so turning smash a corner cab window if that makes sense? simulator to a jackknife, his fault he was guiding me:RollEyes:

Anyway from now on it will be just me so wondering if to go this way buying the truck first and looking for a 5th wheel in the future.

Can it be hitched and unhitched single handedly?

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Don't see why not, John, truckers seem to cope alright :winky::ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The main thing with 5er is that the tow vehicle does ALL the manouvering, you cant simply unhitch it and shove it back a couple of feet :ROFLMAO: like you can with a caravan. :Eeek:

I guess fitting a reversing camera to the back of the 5er will make life a lot easier on your own and big mirrors on the pick up would also be a huge help. :thumb:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Yes you can hitch and unhitch on your own it is very easy takes about 10mins once the trailer is in it place.
Reversing is ok as with anything take your time.
I have got good wide mirrors on my truck so it not a problem:thumb::thumb:

Andy & Sue

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
really shouldnt be problem john providing you aint totally blind!!!!

the point being you can actually see the hitch through the rear window, unless you have a doublecab pickup ofcourse. :Doh:

unless yopu have loaded/unloaded the pickup since unhitching the height should be the same so get the 5er square in your rear window and reverse til you hit the hitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Been reading this thread and thought of an idea,, just a thought so it might not work,,

This is really for double/twin cabs,,

Hows about fixing a flexi type car aerial (From breakers yard,, cheap) to the middle of the bed of the truck just in front of the hitch/coupling, so it sticks up above the rear glass, and getting a shorter one and fix from the under side of the 5er and cut off so there is an inch gap between them, then when you reverse and both tips are touching or sat on top of each other, you would be within a knats whisker of being lined up, just jump out and check and hey presto, drop the trailer down,,

Got to be easier and quicker than jumping in and out of the cab umpteem times..

And both as most are hinged can be folded out the way for travel,,

Dont shoot me,, I am new to this fith wheel lark,, :ROFLMAO:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Been reading this thread and thought of an idea,, just a thought so it might not work,,

This is really for double/twin cabs,,

Hows about fixing a flexi type car aerial (From breakers yard,, cheap) to the middle of the bed of the truck just in front of the hitch/coupling, so it sticks up above the rear glass, and getting a shorter one and fix from the under side of the 5er and cut off so there is an inch gap between them, then when you reverse and both tips are touching or sat on top of each other, you would be within a knats whisker of being lined up, just jump out and check and hey presto, drop the trailer down,,

None of this is needed i have a crewcab pickup and when reversing you can see the fifth wheel realy easy.
I drop the rear tailgate line my truck up in the middle with the mirrors start backing up watching the height of the 5th wheel pin on the trailer if to low jump out and higher the trailer up.Then back up until the pin and rubbing plate meet and locks into place job do. All this is easy as you can see through the rear cab window even though its a crewcab pickup i would say its the same for all pickups unless you have no back window:Eeek:

Got to be easier and quicker than jumping in and out of the cab umpteem times..

And both as most are hinged can be folded out the way for travel,,

Hope this helps.

Andy & Sue

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
drop the trailer down,

no shooting down needed Mo.:ROFLMAO:
sounds a useful tip to me......just one point though, on a fifth wheel you dont lower the hitch into place.

theres a large flat-ish plate with a V cutout and lock mechanism on the pickup bed and a pin sticking down from the Van....just reverse up to the pin...it goes into the V cutout on the plate and locks in place. check its locked, connect leads and away you go.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
no shooting down needed Mo.:ROFLMAO:
sounds a useful tip to me......just one point though, on a fifth wheel you dont lower the hitch into place.

theres a large flat-ish plate with a V cutout and lock mechanism on the pickup bed and a pin sticking down from the Van....just reverse up to the pin...it goes into the V cutout on the plate and locks in place. check its locked, connect leads and away you go.:thumb::thumb:

Woops !!
Just testing , :Blush:

Being ex hgv1 of some years ago,, I should have thought of that before posting ,

Must remember to put brain in gear first , :active:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back