5th wheel levelling legs problems (1 Viewer)

cotajokial

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
I am having lots of trouble with 5th wheel company, dream seeker fitted with Atwood Level Legs with Auto function.
When to pick up from storage and legs retracted as per normal. Once at site could not get front legs down as instructed bu the manual. EXT-ALL-FRONT. I could only get them down by holding EXT-ALL-FRONT, but then they would only extend for 10 seconds or so before having to release and press all three again.
Once front legs down, Truck unhitched, and pressed AUTO function and REAR legs would not extend either. Could not even get them to extend manually by holding the buttons as I did on the front.
Left batteries to charge fully and tried again this morning, same results. Checked all fuses, all good.
Both Front legs LED,s flashing green, indication extended? I know they are not full down.

Any ideas or advice much appreciated. Getting fed up now with poor support for very expensive camper!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we have a motor on ours but can also manually wind them down do the 5th wheel company ones not do this? I do know that using the elec wind down does take a lot out of the batteries and we tend to do a manual wind down.

Sorry i can't help re your model and i dont know of anyone who has a 5thwheel company 5th wheel that i could point you to for help, most of us have either full yank models or calder or niche supplied units

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Like Chatters, we also have a motor to run our jack legs, however, we are on a site in Southern Spain at the moment and there is a Celtic Rambler here on the site. If we get a chance to speak to the owners, we will ask if they have any solutions for you.

In the meantime, go onto RV.Net (an American Forum) into the fifth wheel section, and put your query on there, I get a lot of info. from this site for our truck camper and fiver, it's also a free forum.

Alternatively, have you tried the Atwood website, there maybe an answer there, hope so.

All the best - we'll see what we can come up with, can't guarantee today though.

Nigel and Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You may have more luck with an answer from our sister site RVOC.

it is purely an american Rv enthusiasts forum with quite a few 5th wheel owners.

just like this forum, you get a few 'free' posts and if you want membership it is a mere £5 because you are also a member on this forum.

its not as fast moving as here but you should have some answers within a few hours at most.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Have just spoken to the Celtic Rambler owner and he has come back with an instruction leaflet titled 'Atwood 5th Wheel Levelegs - Auto Leveling & Retraction'.

On the bottom left hand side of this leaflet there is a paragraph that reads

"If you go out of sequence, or press the wrong button by mistake, or in an emergency you will have to hitch the truck up to the fifth wheel and then Retract ALL and start from the beginning again."

If you do not have this leaflet, you should be able to get one from the 5th Wheel Company as he got this when he had a problem when picking his up and they gave it to him, if not, I can type everything on it and pm it to you.

All the best.

Nigel and Pamala

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Good of you to take the trouble

Nice to see someone take the trouble to try and help out a fellow traveller.

refreshing...

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

cotajokial

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Many Thanks for all your advice.

To update you all on the latest;
I had to manually wind the rear legs down on arrival, and then back up today when we left the site.
Front legs did retract electrically but only if the buttons held in all the time.
We decided to take the 5ver back home to check things out as we are planning a trip some distance away. On arrival back home, front legs worked just fine. Un-hooked truck and Auto function worked Ok to!

I have no idea why this is OK now.

I will call Atwood in the USA and see what they say, and I will also hook up and un hook a few times and see what happens.

Again, many thanks for all your help and advise. I will let you know if I find anything else out that might help.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
lets hope it settles down

Lets hope it settles down soon so you can use it as you were hoping to.

Atwood in the USA are very helpful I have found.

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back