5th Wheel camper (1 Viewer)

spudthedog

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Funster No
Hi everyone, my first post on here. My question to you seasoned "motorhomies" is as follows.
I am seriously considering purchasing a 5th wheel camper. Can anyone tell me the pitfalls to look out for and what are the legal size implications and problems in the UK and Europe? I am looking to pull it with a VW transporter double cab pick up 130 bhp as it is far more economical than the Nissan Navara which I already own. I have experience with driving HGV vehicles although I know this rig shouldnt come under any licence issues. I ideally would like a four/six birth. Can anyone recommend any good sites that sell these pieces of kit. Your advice and views will be most welcome.
Thank you in advance:Cool:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

You could try www.ccrv.co.uk They do american 5th wheels and thats where we got ours from. Guy to speak to is Paul.

We have had ours for a month now, I am sure other owners on here can prob give you more info of pros/cons

Ant & Debs

Upvote 0

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hmmmm, after 12months use, I can't really think of a pitfall................except perhaps the fact that sooooo many campsite owners seem to think you need acres of manouvring room..............you dont!:Smile: Within reason, where a twin axle will go, so will a Kountrylite, a Celtic Rambler or similar sized 5ver. I suppose it depends on just how big you wanna go, tho' TBH, with a Dub truck, it's not gonna be any bigger than that i wouldn't have thought.:Cool:

Agree with you re Nav consumption. Not as good as I'd hoped for or would like but tolerable at 16-17 towing / 26-27 solo. (2008 Auto - Euro 4)

All the benefits of an A class re tanks/comfort etc, but with the benefit of a usable vehicle for shopping/sightseeing etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Have you been to the USA and looked ??

The exchange rate is crap at the moment but as your looking to tow it with something more than a Jap Crap pickup you are seriously restricting yourselves to the very few models for sale in the UK.

Have a look here

www.lazydays.com

and see the huge range of 5ers for sale in the USA. They can help with shipping. I have a good contact if your interested, pm me and ill give you his details.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as you can see i use a mitsubishi csanter double cab . its 6.3ton gvw its train as been dropped to 7.5 .think you may find the train of a transporter a little low .could be wrong. width 2.3 metre.you could have something with a bigger train and still keep to b+e . mine can be dropped to 3.5ton and keep its trasin to 9.6 if i wanted . if you go bigger than 3.5 it could be excempt mot and plating. keep trailer under 3.5 and it doesnt need mot. living vans over 3,500kg need mot. ring 07971962361 if you need more info this is my subject.
i can rabbit on for hours about 5ers and the rules.
cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

spudthedog

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Funster No
Many many thanks for that. You have been most helpful and will probably take you up on that offer of a chat!

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you are planning on using a VW crewcab you will find that you will have to stick with the lighter uk spec 5th wheels from either Niche, Calder or the 5thwheel co. Niche and calder units are built in the states but are lighter so more inline with our vehicles, the 5th wheel co is in wales and he builds them from scratch and will within reason design the unit as you want it.

roughly a VW transporter has a 6000Kg max weight for truck and load, transit based ones have 3 different weights dependent on model of 6000kg,6300kg and 6500kg, Iveco have 7000kg top weight

I have a niche unit and the ideal vehicles of that sort for me is either the largest transit or the Iveco as my 5th wheel has a top loaded weight of 3500kg, at the moment im using an isusu which is fine but doesnt allow me to load the 5ver to its max capacity

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know what you need .i think its a canter. you could look at iveco . they do a 4,500kg .dropped to 3,500kg gvw but as a train of 8,700kg.
also as its use is pulling a liviong van on private .you can do your own convertion .i do. there is other ways of getting a nice 5er with out going to the companies named .there are alot of others that do them. and stronger built by far.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back