Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All
I have a dragging brake on my 5th wheel, on checking it out the Magnet is totally cooked and had jammed the brake on so the question is where can I buy a new brake magnet?

I have not checked the other 3 yet but I suspect someone used the electric over run switch as a handbrake or there brake controller was not working properly.

Cheers All

Andy.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
connect the magnet and place a compass next to the wheel ---if it goes a bit scatty---you know it works.
If the magnet is off the wheel (or brakedrum off) it will be easy to place a small piece of steel on it.
You will need to know the make of brake (although I think they will have the same magnets) and the colour of the feed wire, this tells the 'power' of the magnet.
Do a search for Al-ko brakes ----my brain has left me---I can't remember the make of most brakes/axles. Do a Google search for RV electric brake parts.
Try STT---but I probably bought their last magnets !!!!!!!!
Don't be afraid to order direct from US if you can't get them here, You should receive them within a week, only fit in axle sets, they will not be expensive (depending on current exchange rates !!!)
Nigel

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi again
I just re-read your post, it sounds like the controller was not wired correctly, or was set up wrong.
If you don't have the instructions to set yours up---Google it and download it.
If you have to replace the brake-drum, the shipping will cost loads but the drum is cheap.
I think I bought mine direct from Al-Ko in US
Nigel
DEXTER axels is the main axle/brake Co.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Cheers Nigel
The magnet still works in as much as it magnetises when power is applied , I have bought from the states before so will have a look. they are ALKO hubs with GREEN wires on the magets.

I will have a look at the other 3 hubs and if they are OK then perhaps this brake seized on for some other reason and thats what cooked the magnet.

Thanks again

Andy.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
IF--I remember correctly-----there is a return spring fitted to the assembly, I assume this is intact and fitted ???
Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
andynkim

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
I will be taking both drums off the same side at the weekend and will compare.

Cheers all

Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back