584 Alko chassis shock absorbers (1 Viewer)

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello, a little help if you can please.
I've been getting progressively worse noise from the rear of my van.
I was worried that it might be the Alko axle bushes but can't find any excess play in them, the next step is to disconnect the shockers & test them.
I just wondered if anyone had purchased shockers & if so I'd be interested to know where they came from & spec.
Thanks.
Barrie

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Question
Are these the standard Alko chassis suspension and do you have the grease nipples

IF so has your suspension been grease every year as per the ALKO specs - We don't have any problems but doubt that they have been done to Spec last year after a chapter of horrors aFTER chassis service

So much so I sourced the correct grease (from Ebay) got a grease gun and when I have my brake lines replaced as per MOT advisory the engineer will do the job for me

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If your vans not bouncing like a kangaroo, and there's no signs of oil on them, then your shocks are probably ok ?

OP
OP
bjandlin
Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Thanks for your replies everyone.
The ride has become very harsh & noisy so I'm thinking the shocks might be seized.
Need now to find the enthusiasm & energy to pull the shocks off.
Have this morning been trying to locate the correct parts but it's the usual round in circles from Alko to wholesaler to retailer so waiting on email now in reply.
We'll see.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Probably easier to grease the axle than changing the shocks just jack one or both sides so the axle is hanging and put 10 pumps of a grease gun in each side of the axle no need to take wheel off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bjandlin
Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Yes, have spoken to Fraser but don't want to shell out that sort of money yet.I need to explore all other avenues first.
His website says that he offers axles on an exchange basis but that is no longer true, so would involve having somewhere to park an axleless van for about 10 days whilst the axle goes to Scotland for overhaul.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Yes, have spoken to Fraser but don't want to shell out that sort of money yet.I need to explore all other avenues first.
His website says that he offers axles on an exchange basis but that is no longer true, so would involve having somewhere to park an axleless van for about 10 days whilst the axle goes to Scotland for overhaul.
Hope you get it sorted 'cheaply'
Please keep us updated?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Probably easier to grease the axle than changing the shocks just jack one or both sides so the axle is hanging and put 10 pumps of a grease gun in each side of the axle no need to take wheel off
bjandlin. That would have been my advice too, however, if you decide it is the shocks at fault, try..................... Axel-Augistin.de (and scroll down) to possibly find the shocks you need, (not sure what model you have).
I saved around Ā£200 by buying 4 x rear shocks direct from them, (even with shipping costs), compared to buying from an ALKO dealer here in the UK (y) .....................some of whom couldn't even be bothered to return my calls.

I can advise you that Monroe, Boge, or any other make are not recommended for the ALKO chassis.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
bjandlin
Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Thanks Jock,
I've had a quick look there & prices look good, problem is how to locate a Hymer in the search

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock,
I've had a quick look there & prices look good, problem is how to locate a Hymer in the search
They don't do parts for Hymers, but they do parts for Fiat/ALKO. Mine was a Ducato 230 with a tandem ALKO chassis, fitted with Fiat wheel, brake, and hub assemblies, but ALKO shocks and handbrake cables.

Good luck. šŸ‘

Jock. šŸ™‚

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock I'll look again.
As a matter of interest what prompted you to change you shocks ?
17 years old, corroded, showing signs of leakage, and when removed they displayed very little in the way of compression, compared to the new ones. ;) The handling after the overhaul was amazing. (y)
BTW, the previous owner did fit (or had fitted for them), a pair of Monroe shocks to the intermediate axle...................despite that being a NO NO. They were totally unsuitable for the task. :mad:

Cheers,

OP
OP
bjandlin
Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Thanks everyone, an update as of today.
Thanks Jock for the intro to the German site.
I first had a try with Alko UK customer services, who are essentially trade only but I got through to bloke called Kristian.
I emailed my plate details to him but as the Hymer is German Alko UK don't hold those details but a day after he mailed back with part No, price & details of a UK supplier. Suffice to say I have a pair due early part of next week.
All in Price Ā£220 which I thought good compared with some prices I'd seen.
Now, will they cure my problem ? The $64000 question !!
Barrie,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
All in Price Ā£220 which I thought good compared with some prices I'd seen.
Glad to hear that you've been sorted out Barrie, and at a reasonable cost too for ALKO parts.

I do hope that they are the answer to your poor ride quality. (y) We noticed an immediate difference in ride (and lack of roll), after overhauling both front and rear suspension.

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back