jimbus

Free Member
Aug 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
53 seater coach conv
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I have a 53 seater coach I am currently converting to a mororhome . My question is can I change the rear axle to a single wheel axle ie 1 wheel either side as opposed to the twin wheel axle that's currently on the rear ie 2 wheels each side all on the 1 axle . Will I have to change the axle or can I just remove 1 wheel either side and fit a spacer . My reasoning is to reduce the vehicle weight as I have a class d licence to drive busses but when I remove the seats ect i will then require a class c licence as it will be over 7.5 ton, i dont have the class c licence and I am hopefully intending to further reduce the unladen weight to around 6.8 / 6.9 ton from it's current weight of just under 10 ton. I've lightened 3 ton from the bus already as it was just under 13 ton when I bought it. I need to and intend to further reduce the weight by another 3ton and removing 1 each side of the rear driving wheels will help me to achieve this . Any advice would be greatful

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My take on it is that the load taken by the twin wheels is centred over the mounting flanges and in turn over the centre of the wheel bearings. A replacement single wheel should therefore have the centre of the tread over the centre of the wheel bearing - achieved by choosing the correct offset with minor correction using a spacer (if needed). Take look at the front axle to see how that has been achieved.

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Take the twin wheels off, and I assume they are standard 295/70 or 80/22.5. Then get a pair of super single 385/70/22.5 to take their place, if you go for Alcoa alloys then they are load bearing, you can tell them they are to replace twin drive wheels and you will get the correct offset etc. You could go all out and get the front version as well. And make sure you get new wheel nuts for the alloys as they are different.
This then takes you to having single wheels, less expense on tyres, and if you have dura bright version they are shiney as well.
The super singles are same as lorry trailer wheels.
Only thing is, make sure they can take the load on the tyres, that is why you don't see lorries with singles on the drive axle, as the drive axle is usually plated at 10.5 tons, front axles are anything up to 5.5 tons.
And if you are dropping the weight category you will need it down plated .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Many Germans do just this on ex fire engines and ex military vehicles which have been converted to motorhomes, so it must be doable.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
If I've read the O P correctly then not having a C licence means he'll never get it light enough. Apologies if I've read it wrong.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I dont think you will get the ULW down to a level that will enable you to use it . The cost of converting to super singles on rear will far exceed the cost of getting a C licence .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If I've read the O P correctly then not having a C licence means he'll never get it light enough. Apologies if I've read it wrong.
I dont think you will get the ULW down to a level that will enable you to use it . The cost of converting to super singles on rear will far exceed the cost of getting a C licence .
Those are my thoughts on the subject too.

jimbus. It would be so much easier and a lot less hassle to just just go for the C Licence test. You've already done the D Test, so you are just upgrading, and already have the experience of driving large vehicles. It should be a piece of cake for you. :)

IMHO, I think the C & D tests should be as one these days, with an extra input relating to passenger safety. The skills needed to drive either safely are exactly the same, and the Tachograph rules are only fractionally different, but that's just my take on things. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
J

jimbus

Free Member
Aug 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
53 seater coach conv
Exp
I'm a newbie
Take the twin wheels off, and I assume they are standard 295/70 or 80/22.5. Then get a pair of super single 385/70/22.5 to take their place, if you go for Alcoa alloys then they are load bearing, you can tell them they are to replace twin drive wheels and you will get the correct offset etc. You could go all out and get the front version as well. And make sure you get new wheel nuts for the alloys as they are different.
This then takes you to having single wheels, less expense on tyres, and if you have dura bright version they are shiney as well.
The super singles are same as lorry trailer wheels.
Only thing is, make sure they can take the load on the tyres, that is why you don't see lorries with singles on the drive axle, as the drive axle is usually plated at 10.5 tons, front axles are anything up to 5.5 tons.
And if you are dropping the weight category you will need it down plated .
315/80 R22.5 are the current tyre size

OP
OP
J

jimbus

Free Member
Aug 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
53 seater coach conv
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joka250 you read it correct I regret to say

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010
Agreed, the conversion cost will be ridiculous. I have only ever seen single tyres on drive axles on off road and military vehicles. I’ve been a HGV mechanic for over 30 years.
you may be entering the world of special types and that’s a whole different can of worms.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Agreed, the conversion cost will be ridiculous. I have only ever seen single tyres on drive axles on off road and military vehicles. I’ve been a HGV mechanic for over 30 years.
you may be entering the world of special types and that’s a whole different can of worms.
I too think that the vehicle would have to be reclassified and the ministry requires a lot of convincing.
Its hard enough just getting it from PSV to Private HGV with photographs etc. You could spend a lot of time and money and get nowhere but if you want to go ahead, why not find a ministry testing station and have a chat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back