Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We are thinking of touring Portugal for about 5 weeks (is that too long?) in second half of July and through into August.
We would start from our house near Huelva, Spain and perhaps stay in the Algarve, but not too long as we would like to "see" the rest of Portugal. My question is, can you guys suggest some "You must not miss this" places to visit, places to stay, further up country than Faro.

Thanks for any help. :Smile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Must visits :-

Porto Covo , Fatima , Obidos , Aviero , Batalha and Porto to name a few :thumb:

If you like free camping the Barragems (reservoirs) are fantastic as well as some great camper stops.

Find lots of them HERE

I could easily spend 5 weeks touring around Portugal, but it will be hot in the summer, we go in the winter/spring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Anywhere on the Alentejo coast, we have just left Vila Nova de Milfontes travelling north after a gap of six years and had forgotten how beautiful the coast is.

Two sites in Milfontes, one in Zambujeira do Mar that we have used and are typically Portuguese but we have only been out of season and will probably be very different in July & August.

Can't advise on wild camping or inland Portugal as I tend to stick to the coast.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Coimbra and Evora

Coimbra is a lovely university town which makes much of being the home of Fado. Lovely feel to it and a pretty good municipal campsite on a bus route. If you like antiquities there is an amazing Roman town called Conimbriga nearby.

Evora is very attractive, with city walls and a fantastic chapel "built" from bones by a couple of friars. Also has a decent site on bus route and c2k walk in.

Dave

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
If you like free camping the Barragems (reservoirs) are fantastic as well as some great camper stops.

Find lots of them HERE

I could easily spend 5 weeks touring around Portugal, but it will be hot in the summer, we go in the winter/spring.

Thanks for that Keith, very good info. We know it will be hot, but not as hot as Huelva at our house the temperature in July/August is up to 42c and thats why we go north. :thumb:

Deleted User
Few more pics

Attachments

• DSCN0039.jpg
    DSCN0039.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0094.jpg
    DSCN0094.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0062.jpg
    DSCN0062.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Must visits :-

Porto Covo , Fatima , Obidos , Aviero , Batalha and Porto to name a few :thumb:

Porto Covo,
Just love it ACSI site not the best but acceptable,square at night spellbinding,
watching the sun come down from the coast.the best ever,a lovely place.:thumb:

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
We are thinking of touring Portugal for about 5 weeks (is that too long?) in second half of July and through into August.
We would start from our house near Huelva, Spain and perhaps stay in the Algarve, but not too long as we would like to "see" the rest of Portugal. My question is, can you guys suggest some "You must not miss this" places to visit, places to stay, further up country than Faro.

Thanks for any help. :Smile:
Stayed at Mertola Monday night on the quay by the river, absolutely beautiful and interesting old walled town with castle. Aire at Monsarrez worth finding as under the castle walls and overlooking very large and beautiful reservoir, lovely place. Was there Tuesday.
Three years ago I followed the border on the Portuguese side and explored the fortified towns such as the two above and Elvas, quite a large fortified town with a fantastic aquaduct. Castelo de Vide, another gem just North of Portalegre.
This week I've crossed into Spain and discovered places like Olivenza with it's Mujar history and beautiful buildings, and almost intact fortifications. Also Caseres which I left this morning after 2 days on the Aire, the old town well worth a visit. The countryside in the Alentejo was very colourful with lots of wild flowers and spectacular scenery.
One major drawback in Portugal is the state of some of the roads. Unpredictable, as some rural roads are fine whereas the N125 in the Algarve has many rough stretches. Sometimes it's felt like driving on corrugated sheets - rattle, rattle, bump, bump!
Lots of lovely interesting places to discover. wherever you go enjoy it.
As regards the weather it's VERY HOT, still 32c in van as I write. I'm melting.:thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Porto Covo,
Just love it ACSI site not the best but acceptable,square at night spellbinding,
watching the sun come down from the coast.the best ever,a lovely place.:thumb:

There are two aires . One in the centre with services and another on the cliff top but no services

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
went to Portimao and Lisbon but not in the MH. Both worth a visit and looked like some wild camping spots just across the estuary from Portimao town several MHs parked up.
Did north P in the van spring last year.
Bragança aire up behind the castle - lovely spot
Izeda aire - very rural farming town with not much happening.
Albufeira do Azibo national park nr MACEDO DE CAVALEIROS. we found a good wild spot from directions given by T/info/office. expect its busy in summer.
Vila Real municipal site - good clean site helpful staff.
Castelo de Paiva - aire thats just a vast carpark/buspark/marketplace. would not bother again!
Avintes nr Oporto - great place (aire but more like site) at what is a cross between botanic gardens and zoo. bus into porto. u need to book in summer.
Praia da Madalena - hugh site for oporto - dont bother!
PONTE DE LIMA - aire by side of river in pleasant small town.
Vila Nova de Cerveira - aire behind bus station next to railway line surprisingly quiet apart from 1 train in the middle of the night.
Tui (yes i know its spain) - tiny aire but town well worth a few hours
Camping cars info for the co-ords
hth
bern.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back