dilanroj

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
rented one
Exp
Hi, Don't know if this is the right place to post this but some friends of mine have asked me to join them on a motorhome trip from outside London for one week in August.

They are coming from abroad and we are all newbies, so I thought I would ask for some advice!

They are renting from Flamstead on the day they arrive and roughly their plan is this:

1) First evening - Hurley Riverside Park in Hurley, Maidenhead
2) next day to Windsor and continue to Avon Forest Country Park near Ringwood in Dorset.
3) to Exeter to visit Torquay and Dartmoor Park
4) to Bridge Farm, West Bradley in Glastonbury to visit Wells and Cheddar
5) to Newton Mill Holiday Park to visit Bath and the Safaripark.
6) then to Stonehenge Campsite to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury.
7) north again and plan is to stay Oxford Camping to visit Oxford.
8) back to flamstead to drop off motorhome

Is this achievable? seems like a lot of driving to me. Also, my friend is German and will be driving the thing for the first time, so our roads might be different to navigate?

Any advice gladly received
:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Personally I would drop item 3.

Then it would be fine.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
That is a lot of driving, but eh as long as you enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I would agree about dropping the Devon part - just too far in 5 days. The roads will also be very busy at that time too.

Catherine

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
windsor - well worth a visit so is windsor castle - I would schedule at least 1 day for this alone.

If staying near ringwood in dorset you have the New Forest to visit very nearby

They have wild ponies and deer and are similar to Dartmoor in many respects. The cafe/tea rooms somewhere in the middle (I can drive to it but couldnt give you its name or location) is well worth a visit too.

I agree with Chris about dropping no 3

No offence but to me if that is a schedule just for one week - you will need a two week recovery time xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My best personal advice would be to choose two or three areas to visit and get the maximum of out the visit otherwise everyone will just be far too tired to enjoy it.

Have a great time

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi, Don't know if this is the right place to post this but some friends of mine have asked me to join them on a motorhome trip from outside London for one week in August.

They are coming from abroad and we are all newbies, so I thought I would ask for some advice!

They are renting from Flamstead on the day they arrive and roughly their plan is this:

2) next day to Windsor and continue to Avon Forest Country Park near Ringwood in Dorset.
3) to Exeter to visit Torquay and Dartmoor Park
4) to Bridge Farm, West Bradley in Glastonbury to visit Wells and Cheddar
5) to Newton Mill Holiday Park to visit Bath and the Safaripark.
6) then to Stonehenge Campsite to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury.
7) north again and plan is to stay Oxford Camping to visit Oxford.

Is this achievable? seems like a lot of driving to me. Also, my friend is German and will be driving the thing for the first time, so our roads might be different to navigate?

Any advice gladly received
:Smile:

My opinion for what its worth he has set a target of a minimum of 600 miles - assuming he just goes to the basic destination for no other purpose than to turn around and drive to the next destination - trying to find suitable parking in say Cheddar or Torquay at this time of the year you could be looking for quite a while and then have to walk back to where you want to visit. Windsor is worth a full day if you are going to have a good look around and visit the castle. Torquay is just a small area of Torbay - to do it justice and enjoy the history you need certainly 2 full days - likewise Dartmoor - presumably they want to visit some of the tors and features and Princeton at least and that is another day. Glastonbury is worth a day for the Tor, the Abbey, Chalice Well Gardens and the Tithe Barn Museum without the town itself - Wells with the Cathedral and the town certainly is more than half a day then on to Cheddar if you have never been there is a full day and while you are there you really should do Wookey Hole - that is a further half day .
Bath - with the architecture and the Roman baths that takes over half a day at least - be careful of parking - you will probably be better parking in the park and ride and taking the bus in. Longleat Safari Park is massive and warrants a full day - you could easily make it 2 if you do everything. Stonehenge that depends on your interest in a pile of stones ::bigsmile: to walk them without taking your time is about an hour - they tell me that most people are there for a couple of hours at least as they try and work out what they really are and many then go on to Avebury Stone circle and Woodhenge. Salisbury if you walk the town for the architecture and visit the Cathedral you are getting close to a day and most people also visit Old Sarum which was the original Salisbury put the 3 together and that is a full day. The to Oxford - there is so much in Oxford if you are looking at the whole area that you can spend days there - depends on your level of interest.

In a nutshell that itinerary should be a fortnight i.e. 14 day to do justice to it. Can he do it yes but he will be 'enjoying' most of it from the driving seat of the Motorhome not experiencing the history and interest of the areas and as some one has already said will need a fortnights rest to get over it.
All that so depends on no traffic jams - A303 has been closed twice this week so far - kids have broken up so the whole of the west country is now wall to wall tourists

Hope that helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dilanroj

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
rented one
Exp
Thanks, this is SO helpful, I will pass on to my friend (she). I did think it looked quite ambitious, but they don't know the UK so I'm sure they will be happy to have some advice.

OP
OP
D

dilanroj

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
rented one
Exp
as newbies, is there anything else we should be aware of?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
as newbies, is there anything else we should be aware of?

Yes make sure you have booked the campsites before you start the journey as most will be to capacity during the school holidays - there is no fun in a strange place in the early evening trying to find a campsite that can take you.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We stayed in Cheddar a few weeks back definately a whole day went to Wells half day roads very narrow with overhanging hedges now lots of scratches down side of the MH there is a good bus service from Cheddar and I would use that Don't waste you time or money going to Sokey hole

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The cafe/tea rooms somewhere in the middle (I can drive to it but couldnt give you its name or location) is well worth a visit too.

Could be Rosie Lea in Brockenhurst - was there last week, brilliant sandwich, highly recommended!

Catherine

OP
OP
D

dilanroj

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
rented one
Exp
Thanks all. Ok, my friend thought she had made bookings, but it seems it was only 'yes, we will have space' way back in spring!

She agrees we have to cut down the number of nights, so - going by original plan - we are thinking to stay somewhere 'nice' (in countryside, near forest e.g.) in 2 or 3 maximum locations/sites and travel in to see 'sights' via public transport.

Which areas shall we choose, given that we still have to pick up and drop off at flamstead?

and sites seem very expensive - it this normal?

what do you think??

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When you say "Safari Park" do you mean the one near Newton Mill campsite?

The last time I was there it was a tad underwhelming. .. might be different now...

If your German friends have a sense of humour and don't mind a bit of gentle fun poked at them you might try the Bizarre Bath Comedy Walk...:winky:

www.bizarrebath.co.uk

JJ :Cool:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I would think far much too much to cram into a week

Simplify it to the South east....with perhaps a couple of day in the new forest.

Or stay on the south coast .perhaps Brighton and Hythe as bases.

Caravan club has good sites and either place.

barry

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hey up thats what i like to see mentioned Hythe on Kent coast, no need for passport or ID papers. Enjoy all it has to offer.:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp

2) next day to Windsor and Windsor Castle continue to Bath for overnight stay - possibly Bath Marina

3) Bath and Roman Baths and all it has to offer this is good day out and walkable along the river from Bath Marina camp site if you prefer there is a good park and ride service just across the road from the camp site ( return to Bath Marina for the night)

4) Full day at Longleat Safari Park this is again a full day and can even stretch into a second if you visit the house as well as all the attractions. End of day drive to Wells

5) Wells town and Cathedral in the morning - lots to see - afternoon Glastonbury Abbey ruins then to the Tithe Barn after that if you have the energy climb the Tor - the view is fantastic - you will then have seen about half of the history. Back to Campsite

6) Cheddar and all its delights - you can spend a full day there quite easily however time is getting tight so mid afternoon head for Oxford to the campsite just outside the town

7) using public transport visit Oxford there is so much to see its best done on foot as the best places have no car parking facilities back to Oxford campsite

That way they have actually seen area rather than blinked at them on the way past - they will still run out of time though

Hope that helps

OP
OP
D

dilanroj

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
rented one
Exp
thanks - that plan seems a bit daunting too, now we've had a think!

So, if we went to just two camping sites (cutting down massively on the driving) and then used public transport for getting around, which sites would people recommend?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back