4g router help (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all. We have a small mifi that we use when away to share our unlimited 3 internet
It’s been fine for some time but this weekend we where on a poor signal area and as it doesn’t have aerial connections didn’t work well.

Can anyone recommend a router with aerial connections? was looking at a Netgear 810s but there not cheap!
Thanks

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi all. We have a small mifi that we use when away to share our unlimited 3 internet
It’s been fine for some time but this weekend we where on a poor signal area and as it doesn’t have aerial connections didn’t work well.

Can anyone recommend a router with aerial connections? was looking at a Netgear 810s but there not cheap!
Thanks
Lenny HB and DBK amongst others use mifi units with add on aerials. Maybe they could give you some pointers.

We've got a Huawei 5573 (discontinued) with a Netgear internal \ window aerial but not as good as these guys set-up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Huawei 5577 with a rooftop aerial. The couple of years we have had it only one place we have not been able to get a signal just one spot in the Pico mountains.
Often can't get a signal on either phone but still have data on the Mifi.
When I did internetworking I used to love Netgear products I wouldn't touch them now found the modern ones very unreliable.

Here is my install, I think the aerial I used has been replaced now, bought it from Solewise.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've been using a Huawei 5577 for a few years. 😕 It has two antenna connection points which is what you want, not a single one. With two you can attach it to something like the Netgear Aircard which I used before mounting an antenna on the roof - which is the best solution but not the cheapest.

I've very recently fitted a Teltonika router and it's currently on its first field trials in Cornwall 😁 but they are not the cheapest choice. I fitted it because I wanted a connection which would run 365 days of the year which a MiFi isn't really designed for.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
. I fitted it because I wanted a connection which would run 365 days of the year which a MiFi isn't really designed for.
Have you ditched the landline?
If so how you getting on?
I'm thinking of ditching mine when the broadband contract comes to an end. Been looking at a TP Link 4G router with ethenet net ports & swap the sim out when we go away and put payg sim in it so we can talk to the house when away.
Trying to measure my data use at the moment to see if I can get away will 100GB contract so I have the 100GB when roaming. Not easy have to do each device seperatly and I can't find and Android app that will measure data over an eithernet connection, need it for my TV box

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Ive got a Huawei E5577C which I connect to a Netgear Aircard. That has suckers on the back which i stick on the windows/ windscreen. About £100 all in.
Not as sophisticated as others have got, but works a treat (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you ditched the landline?
If so how you getting on?
I'm thinking of ditching mine when the broadband contract comes to an end. Been looking at a TP Link 4G router with ethenet net ports & swap the sim out when we go away and put payg sim in it so we can talk to the house when away.
Trying to measure my data use at the moment to see if I can get away will 100GB contract so I have the 100GB when roaming. Not easy have to do each device seperatly and I can't find and Android app that will measure data over an eithernet connection, need it for my TV box
No I haven't yet but it is an option for the future. The snag is we would have to swap to EE as they have a good signal where we live, Vodafone is a bit marginal at home.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No I haven't yet but it is an option for the future. The snag is we would have to swap to EE as they have a good signal where we live, Vodafone is a bit marginal at home.
Lucky for us both ee & Vodafone are a good signal, should be OK with a directional external aerial and they are not too expensive.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I use a ZTE MF920V currently with a 3 sim....although I might be swapping that out when the data is used for a Smarty sim for £18 and unlimited data...which a friend uses at home for broadband as it is cheaper and faster than anything anyone can cable into their home...and they stream and use 100 gb or more a month....

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Huawei 5577 with a rooftop MIMO aerial. We usually put preloaded PAYG SIM cards from Three in them and throw them away when we have used the limit, because topping up is more expensive. Used that in Europe as well.

But I have now got a Smarty SIM for my phone with 30Gb in UK or 20Gb in Europe per month, so will try to use that more often. It's only £10 per month on a monthly contract. With data getting cheaper I may need to think how I will feed my mifi. If we go away for a couple of months we could get another Smarty SIM for the period and put it in the mifi, which will be cheaper than PAYG.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We also have an Huawei with a roof top aerial, it came with the MH and the previous owners left a Three SIM card in it, so we’ve been using it effectively f.o.c. But it’s carp, we are driving around the Scottish coast right now, and have also used it on other trips, but the signal on Three is nowhere as good as on our phone which are on EE.

The Huawei devise seems fine, but Three has not been as good as EE at any point, our phones (both iPhone 7s) have always had a good signal inside the MH

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi we have a Huawei 5577 with a Motorhome WiFi roof aerial not the cheapest option but works well, a couple of times not had a good 3 signal just went to the network options and selected the strongest network signal, instead of automatic

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

I've recently installed a RUT955, and you're right it is the db, I would highly recommend. It's commercial grade, by all accounts they're built to be installed in busses, trains and alike. We've got two sim cards in it, one on EE and the other O2 both.

It comes with magnetic antennas that I've been using (velcro attached to the edge of our solar panel) and it's performed flawlessly with great signal, didn't want to punch a hole in my roof straight away.

Pricey compared to the cheap shop bought MiFi units, but you get what you pay for, I need it for work so it's been well worth the money.

Broken Link Removed

Indigo

Free Member
Jul 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2008
I've recently installed a RUT955, and you're right it is the db, I would highly recommend. It's commercial grade, by all accounts they're built to be installed in busses, trains and alike. We've got two sim cards in it, one on EE and the other O2 both.

It comes with magnetic antennas that I've been using (velcro attached to the edge of our solar panel) and it's performed flawlessly with great signal, didn't want to punch a hole in my roof straight away.

Pricey compared to the cheap shop bought MiFi units, but you get what you pay for, I need it for work so it's been well worth the money.

Broken Link Removed
Have you managed to get wifi working to get access to the internet via a site or CL wifi as I have a Teltonika RUTX11 and can not get my head around setting it up, via the sim card works straight off but using 5ghz to log into the RUTX11 works, logging into the site wifi on 2.4ghz works but getting both to pass data fails. Any ideas?

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have you managed to get wifi working to get access to the internet via a site or CL wifi as I have a Teltonika RUTX11 and can not get my head around setting it up, via the sim card works straight off but using 5ghz to log into the RUTX11 works, logging into the site wifi on 2.4ghz works but getting both to pass data fails. Any ideas?

Yes, I'm doing that now and guess you can do the same on the X11. You need to configure it to use the the WiFi as WAN and then have the mobile setup as fail over. You can configure multiple WiFi access points so that it connects to WiFi whenever possible and fails over to mobile when there are either no wireless networks available or it can't access the internet through any of the ones in range.

One thing that got me is that you need to change the LAN addresses (DHCP) to not be 192.168.1.x as if you try to connect it to a wireless network that also uses that range it won't work, many wireless networks default to that range.

If you want more detailed instructions PM me, I can put a video together showing how mines configured if you'd like.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We have a Huawei 5577 with a rooftop aerial. The couple of years we have had it only one place we have not been able to get a signal just one spot in the Pico mountains.
Often can't get a signal on either phone but still have data on the Mifi.
When I did internetworking I used to love Netgear products I wouldn't touch them now found the modern ones very unreliable.

Here is my install, I think the aerial I used has been replaced now, bought it from Solewise.

We use Motorhome WiFi kit.

Found you couldn’t get a signal at all in Widecombe on the Moor on Dartmoor with Three. Not a sausage!

Indigo

Free Member
Jul 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2008
Yes, I'm doing that now and guess you can do the same on the X11. You need to configure it to use the the WiFi as WAN and then have the mobile setup as fail over. You can configure multiple WiFi access points so that it connects to WiFi whenever possible and fails over to mobile when there are either no wireless networks available or it can't access the internet through any of the ones in range.

One thing that got me is that you need to change the LAN addresses (DHCP) to not be 192.168.1.x as if you try to connect it to a wireless network that also uses that range it won't work, many wireless networks default to that range.

If you want more detailed instructions PM me, I can put a video together showing how mines configured if you'd like.

Well I have spent the last couple of hours going around in circles, resetting the X11 and going down another blind alley, I have tried but it is too complexed for me so if you would be so kind as to put a video together I would be eternally grateful and perhaps upload it to YouTube as no one has covered the Teltonika for motorhome/canal boat use. I will try and send a PM (need to find out howto but I expect I can at least figure that out) with my email address if you dont feel happy with uploading to YouTube. Once again, thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back