4g data in Europe (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For reasons of getting cheap offers on data without mifi on this trip I have got two old smart phones out of the drawer and loaded them with different Sims.
Ok my usual phone is on contract to o2 with 6 gig data.
One phone has got a asda payg SIM in with 9 gig data that runs on ee for £20 including calls if you want it to.
The other phone has a three payg SIM with all you can eat data for £24 .but it says there is a 12g cap in Europe.

The thing is at the moment we haven't been anywhere that they haven't all got a 4g signal and they all tether in that price but only last 30 days

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For reasons of getting cheap offers on data without mifi on this trip I have got two old smart phones out of the drawer and loaded them with different Sims.
Ok my usual phone is on contract to o2 with 6 gig data.
One phone has got a asda payg SIM in with 9 gig data that runs on ee for £20 including calls if you want it to.
The other phone has a three payg SIM with all you can eat data for £24 .but it says there is a 12g cap in Europe.

The thing is at the moment we haven't been anywhere that they haven't all got a 4g signal and they all tether in that price but only last 30 days
Wish I hadn't bothered posting it now, there are hundreds of posts on here asking about data Sims yet it seems no one is interested in my findings. :(
And it took ages posting that with my phone(n)

Deleted User
Wish I hadn't bothered posting it now, there are hundreds of posts on here asking about data Sims yet it seems no one is interested in my findings. :(

I am:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just to make your day, the Asda ones look god value & should work in a MiFi, my Plusnet phone sim on EE does.
I am on the asda one now, 4g in ventimiglia,
Wine is dirt cheap in the conad supermarket across the road as well(y)

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i am interested thank you

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I am interested also.I,m finding EE to be the best for me on 4g in spain at the moment for what suits me.On a payg deal with EE 20 gig a month unlimited talk and text £16,56 a month.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm on a Three Data sim (12Gb) in the unlocked 4G MiFi, which is supposed to give me at least 3G. Here in the Mosel Valley, invariably it drops down to 2G. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'm on a Three Data sim (12Gb) in the unlocked 4G MiFi, which is supposed to give me at least 3G. Here in the Mosel Valley, invariably it drops down to 2G. :(

Cheers,

Same set up her in Murcia, Spain, and getting good 3G service. Never see 4G with it when abroad, however.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
On the mosel ,at trittenham good 4g signal with EE, but yesterday at wintrich had no signal at all

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
We have satellite internet which I'm going to cancel when we get home.

Recently moved to Vodafone from 3. I have 30gb data all of which can be used abroad with tethering. So far this holiday we have been in France Italy Slovenia and Croatia and I've not failed to get a 4g connection anywhere we've been. Very impressed with Vodafone so far. We are 2 1/2 weeks into a 4 week holiday and I've used 10gb so far, most of it tethered.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

Know exactly how you feel. I do wonder sometimes if people take any notice of posts or are so intent on expressing their opinion on the topic that they don’t even bother what has already been put.

I put a post on in Spanish the other day and no one bothered to read it. If they had done I hope that they would have seen the joke.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Before we left I signed up for a 3 mifi, £8 monthly for 20 gig a month (no upfront charge).
We're in France. It works well but no 4g yet.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Before we left I signed up for a 3 mifi, £8 monthly for 20 gig a month (no upfront charge).
We're in France. It works well but no 4g yet.
Can I ask please, was that a rolling contract, or a fixed term contract. If rolling, that would suit our needs.

Cheers,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think that is the problem - hundreds of threads about sim cards so your's just adds to the list! :)

But 4g is widely available in Europe so it is no surprise your phones can pick it up. The only provider which doesn't seems to be Three.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can I ask please, was that a rolling contract, or a fixed term contract. If rolling, that would suit our needs.

Cheers,

This was a pay and go SIM loaded with a month's all you can eat data and a load of calls and texts for£24 then you can either load it again or chuck it .I will try and find the link

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @JockandRita

Hi I have a 20GB £8 a month deal recently started following the finish of my previous deal and it is a 24 month contract with 3. They threw in a new Mifi as well although I only wanted a sim only deal. The only restriction is !3gb per month limit abroad and the usual limit for how long you can use abroad on a continuous basis which has never been a problem for us.

Doug

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Same set up her in Murcia, Spain, and getting good 3G service. Never see 4G with it when abroad, however.

I never get 4G With Three anywhere in Europe. There feel at home pack used to be good but in Europe the lack of 4G could make me change.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think that is the problem - hundreds of threads about sim cards so your's just adds to the list! :)
I have found although it doesn't say 4g it works as fast the others usually says H+ whatever that means
But 4g is widely available in Europe so it is no surprise your phones can pick it up. The only provider which doesn't seems to be Three.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
This was a pay and go SIM loaded with a month's all you can eat data and a load of calls and texts for£24 then you can either load it again or chuck it .I will try and find the link
Thanks @chaser, but it was the deal that @Bognor Saint posted about, and that @DJA explained about above, that may have been of interest.
We only need a mobile internet connection when away in the MH, so a rolling contract might be better for us.
It looks like we'll be sticking with the 12 & 24Gb sim cards. At all other times, we use our home setup.

Cheers,

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Why not try Giffgaff? You can change up or down every month ...... or even just postpone until you need it

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Hi @JockandRita

Hi I have a 20GB £8 a month deal recently started following the finish of my previous deal and it is a 24 month contract with 3. They threw in a new Mifi as well although I only wanted a sim only deal. The only restriction is !3gb per month limit abroad and the usual limit for how long you can use abroad on a continuous basis which has never been a problem for us.

Doug
I wasn't made aware of 3 gig limit abroad. I'm sure I am over that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought it was 12 GB a month but only 3G on PAYG don't know about contract but I think you get 4G on that. As I've said before gave up with Three PAYG as not only is it only 3G but also the upload speeds are very slow, when traveling we upload as much if not more data than we download. I blame Fun.:)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Bognor Saint

Sorry about that I must have pressed the Shift key by accident. The limit is 13GB per month not !3GB.

If you have a Huawei Mifi and a Smart phone and haven't done it already download the HuaweiHLink app because then you log into the Mifi you can quickly use the App to see how much data you have used since it was last zeroed. Also you can see if you have any text messages from

Also I would point out to you and @JockandRita that 3 a suggesting in their terms that they reserve the right to review your usage to check you are not using the data disproportionally abroad. So it would seem a good idea to make some use of your data when in the UK rather than relying on your home systems and the Mifi when away..

Doug

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Hi @Bognor Saint

Sorry about that I must have pressed the Shift key by accident. The limit is 13GB per month not !3GB.

If you have a Huawei Mifi and a Smart phone and haven't done it already download the HuaweiHLink app because then you log into the Mifi you can quickly use the App to see how much data you have used since it was last zeroed. Also you can see if you have any text messages from

Also I would point out to you and @JockandRita that 3 a suggesting in their terms that they reserve the right to review your usage to check you are not using the data disproportionally abroad. So it would seem a good idea to make some use of your data when in the UK rather than relying on your home systems and the Mifi when away..

Doug
Hi Doug
Thanks for clearing that for me. I have downloaded the app and also monitor usage through my 3.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi @Bognor Saint

Doug

Everything that I ever had from three only gave 9gb abroad fair usage, contract or pay as you go... and only 3G

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Hi @Bognor Saint

Doug

I work in France. For nearly 18 months I’ve been here 12 days out of 14 and have never had a problem (other than constant nag texts saying I can upgrade to allow tethering about 3 times a day)

I have never got 4G with Three anywhere in Europe (Spain, Italy, Germany, France) it in the US and Canada (Canada you have to pay for under feel at home)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back