4 months backpacking in SE Asia without van, now home (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Well, we have returned from our first major trip without the Van which was having a well earned rest. We had our first ever backpacking adventure, 4 months in SE Asia, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. Amazing how naive we were on all things Asia before we left and how little we knew!

But – the trip far trumped every trip we’ve ever undertaken. It was immense. We met loads of people, from students to a few our age, and even retired folk backpacking for the first time. Shows ANYONE can do it... We hardly skimped: Double ensuite AC rooms almost every night; eating out every day; using “good” transport links, and doing everything we wanted. TOTAL cost under £7k for both of us which, considering what is did, is peanuts.

Our blog index for SE Asia is http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/south-east-asia/

Hope this inspires some of you to maybe do similar :)

Next week we'll be in the UK in the Van in Wiltshire way house hunting and settling down for a bit ready for our next adventures...

Here are a few small pics to whet your appetite...

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We did the same but split into 2 trips - Thailand, South Vietnam & Cambodia the first year, North Vietnam & Malaysia the second year.
Didn't know i could last so long with so few belongings!
Like you we were very naive when we set off but everyone was so helpfull we soon got the swing of it.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
We did the same but split into 2 trips - Thailand, South Vietnam & Cambodia the first year, North Vietnam & Malaysia the second year.
Didn't know i could last so long with so few belongings!
Like you we were very naive when we set off but everyone was so helpfull we soon got the swing of it.

Our rucksacks were under 10kg each and we took too much:Eeek: Makes the van storage look even bigger!

Our main issue is now we are house hunting, we've realised we don't need/want much "stuff" - so don't need a nice big house....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
briliant did 12 month trip 2 years ago india asia australia south america as said how little you need to carry . cant wait for another trip mabe mexico and centra america .:Cool::Cool: stan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Malaysia was on our to visit list, as OH was born there (army family) and lived there til he was almost 9.
Not something I'll do on my own, but look forward to reading your blog.
Welcome home & happy househunting.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Malaysia was on our to visit list, as OH was born there (army family) and lived there til he was almost 9.
Not something I'll do on my own, but look forward to reading your blog.
Welcome home & happy househunting.

Not sure our blog will help then! We only hit KL and Meleka (Mallacca), and didn't see many of the must see places. What we saw wasn't as "wow" as other places, but we did NOT do beaches, islands, Borneo or anywhere else. We only eneded up there as it was easier to go from Krabi to Hanoi via KL!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi activecampers
Fantastic trip well done.:thumb::thumb:
Looking at your pics brings memories flooding back as we recognise lots of the places. We did a very similar trip 6 years back but we did it on a motorbike. It was our first really big adventure on our own and our first time in Asia, we loved it and Asia is now one of our favourite destinations been back a few times. Know what you mean about the hotels some of the best we ever stayed in were on that trip and also the cheapest. I was all for camping in a tent but Jan was having none of it, her attitude was "if I've got to live on a motorbike for weeks on end I'm sleeping in a decent hotel" how selfish eh!!!:ROFLMAO:

Couple of pics for you

Attachments

• Thailand Trip 477.jpg
    Thailand Trip 477.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Thailand Trip 430.jpg
    Thailand Trip 430.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!