LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m quite sure the driver deserved it, or the officer wouldnt have wanted to waste his own time.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Rule 264
You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
From the map view the dual carriageway was between 2 roundabouts, half a mile apart. He could could have advised he was in the outside lane as he was turning right at the next roundabout and was therefore in the correct lane.
more like 200 meters and at the next roundabout it has marked lanes. He was likely in the outside lane to go across the roundabout towards Broadstone and canford heath estate, which you cant do from the middle lane. Left is tower park, middle to Dorset way towards fleetsbridge and right for broadstone/canford heath

I honestly think the driver was in the right lane and should challenge the charge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How long would you have to be in the outside lane to be lane hogging?

My understanding is that in normal circumstances you over take and move into the left lane, lane one or two.

You do this if it’s going to take more than a few secounds before you need to over take the next vehicle you are catching and move out again.

Ive never figured out why drivers on a virtually empty motorway stay in lane two or three.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
How long would you have to be in the outside lane to be lane hogging?
A reasonable officer will follow and after a Mile or 2 if it is obvious that the driver is not moving back to the near side lane then they should stop them. Often the driver either doesn’t know they are being plonkers, or they could be day dreaming or worse they could be on their mobiles which I have seen a couple of times. Which proves phoning and driving don’t mix.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Ok own up who was it? We can see that your hiding behind your tinted windows ??

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
????????????
Why the ?????????????
Here is the full post not just taken out of context plus it's worthwhile reading what I replied to

Unless you're reading a different paper than me, it says it reached 36 mph in a 50 mpg limit. It was in the outside lane and a vehicle undertook it. Both were given tickets for driving without due care and attention. Artistic licence for the rag that printed it. It wasn't given for driving too slow

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I’m sorry but the old goat driving the camper van was justifiably prosecuted, I drive on the M6, M56, M57, M62 and all the adjacent A roads on a regular basis, covering around 25K miles a year, I have been doing this kind of mileage for at least 35 years, so consider myself an experienced driver. I am sick and tired of people that don’t use the motorway network in the manner prescribed by the Highway Code and the law and I think they should be prosecuted with extreme prejudice, all are tossers of the lowest stripe, least skill, and most disregard for other road users. Long live fining idiot road users! Most have never had an accident but have probably caused thousands. The driving test needs to incorporate motorway driving as an absolutely essential requirement, people that live miles away from motorways should only be allowed to pass a test that limits them to non motorway use until they can pass a motorway use test. People that lane hog, or habitually never use the “inside lane” when it’s available should find out the hard way by having their wallet/purse significantly lightened.

Oh! Another rant! That’s two in two days people!

Sorry! Please ignore me! It’s the wine talking! (But I’m still right, aren’t I?!)

Cheers!

Russ

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I’m sorry but the old goat driving the camper van was justifiably prosecuted, I drive on the M6, M56, M57, M62 and all the adjacent A roads on a regular basis, covering around 25K miles a year, I have been doing this kind of mileage for at least 35 years, so consider myself an experienced driver. I am sick and tired of people that don’t use the motorway network in the manner prescribed by the Highway Code and the law and I think they should be prosecuted with extreme prejudice, all are tossers of the lowest stripe, least skill, and most disregard for other road users. Long live fining idiot road users! Most have never had an accident but have probably caused thousands. The driving test needs to incorporate motorway driving as an absolutely essential requirement, people that live miles away from motorways should only be allowed to pass a test that limits them to non motorway use until they can pass a motorway use test. People that lane hog, or habitually never use the “inside lane” when it’s available should find out the hard way by having their wallet/purse significantly lightened.

Sorry! Please ignore me! It’s the wine talking! (But I’m still right, aren’t I?!)

Cheers!

Russ
I'm really pleased to see you're not biased in any way. It's quite an open forum so you can say what you mean rather than being mute about your true feelings

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Cheers!

Russ
seeing as you have good experience of the motorway system is great. This is a short local spur on an A road with heavy local traffic

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
back when I was working 1000 miles a week was quite common

Deleted User
25,000 miles / 52 weeks / 5 days per week = 96 miles per day

I can manage that on my bike :LOL::LOL:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you

Cheers!

Russ
I have never had an accident in all my years if driving ....................but I have seen loads in my rear view mirror!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I corrected it on post 14, John. But it is still ridiculous in my opinion, you know how short that bit of road is.
indeed, and I would challenge the police over this if the facts are as stated, but the echo is notorious for misquoting
referring to the Highway Code the fine was appropriate so a challenge would be pointless.

‘On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.’

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If he was in the right hand lane to turn right at the next roundabout and he was close to it the other driver could reasonably undertake, if he was not close to the junction and not signalling that might be dubious though. If there was heavy traffic this might apply:

Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

However there was apparently no traffic in the left lane, and bearing in mind how short the stretch of road is, I would just have held back. Even at 35mph that stretch of road would take less than a minute to traverse.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Can't disagree. 75 to 100 k is high
Back in 1986 when warranties were 12,000 miles or 12 months I picked up a brand new Peugeot 505 and dide the 12,000 miles in less than 5 weeks. Sold the car with over 500,000 on the clock.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
However there was apparently no traffic in the left lane, and bearing in mind how short the stretch of road is, I would just have held back. Even at 35mph that stretch of road would take less than a minute to traverse.

That being the case surely an undertaker wouldn’t be considered careless 🤷‍♂️

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If he was in the right hand lane to turn right at the next roundabout and he was close to it the other driver could reasonably undertake, if he was not close to the junction and not signalling that might be dubious though. If there was heavy traffic this might apply:

Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Yup but that wasn't the case the MoHo was in the outside lane for a period of time longe enough to wind up another driver who undertook and both were fined

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
back when I was working 1000 miles a week was quite common
I `ll, see your 1000 raise you 500?. They changed my company car at 15 to18 Months more than once. The leases where 100.000miles or 3 years. It was actually completely ridiculous. especially as my Primary Employer was an Insurance company!.

BTW can any one confirm actually where this took place. I know Canford Way. Short bit of dual carriageway?. But can`t remember Dorset Way?. In My day you went straight down the Old Wareham Road?. One of my Clients was De Vilbiss

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
BTW can any one confirm actually where this took place. I know Canford Way. Short bit of dual carriageway?. But can`t remember Dorset Way?. In My day you went straight down the Old Wareham Road?. One of my Clients was De Vilbiss
Screenshot_20200615-063744_Maps.jpg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That`s down on my mapping as Canford Way. The report was saying Dorset Way?. Anyhow if that was the stretch of road it`s barely 1/2 mile long?. So anyone going Right (Canford Heath road) at the top Rbt would be in the Right lane for most of it?. Ie; we have a situation locally, there are markers for a right turn at 300 M, BUT often if your not over before that you get "shut out" at the Rbt. Looking at Google Map they havent half built it up round there since the 80`s.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That`s down on my mapping as Canford Way. The report was saying Dorset Way?. Anyhow if that was the stretch of road it`s barely 1/2 mile long?. So anyone going Right (Canford Heath road) at the top Rbt would be in the Right lane for most of it?. Ie; we have a situation locally, there are markers for a right turn at 300 M, BUT often if your not over before that you get "shut out" at the Rbt. Looking at Google Map they havent half built it up round there since the 80`s.
you are correct, the short spur joining Dorset way is called Canford way. Sloppy reporting by the echo, assuming that both pieces of road are the same road. They are not

Yes all been updated since the 80s with Dorset way added to bypass tower park as it was a bottleneck feeding out onto old wareham road

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
you are correct, the short spur joining Dorset way is called Canford way. Sloppy reporting by the echo, assuming that both pieces of road are the same road. They are not

Yes all been updated since the 80s with Dorset way added to bypass tower park as it was a bottleneck feeding out onto old wareham road
There was not that far away from there. A Garage where the guy sold Motorhomes and the odd caravan?. He had what is/was regarded as the Oldest Motorhome in the UK. Built on a Dodge Chassis, between the wars, if I remember correctly?. It was in restored condition, and he had been asked often if he would sell it and refused. Just had pride of place in his showroom. Wonder what happened to it?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back