LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
One of the extras that we got fitted to our new IH was a 360 degree camera system. Thought it would be a good safety aid and it offset the cost of a reversing camera and a second tv for the front of the van.

Been using it for 4 trips out now and have found it to be really useful, especially on the motorway. The installation has been really neat, it replaces the Fiat writing tray on top of the dash,

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

When driving along it gives you a split screen view, one half shows a Birdseye view of the van on the road, handy on narrow roads abroad, the other half either view behind, or if you indicate a clear view of that side.

IMG_2109.JPG

The 4 cameras are installed at the back, high on the sides and just under the Fiat sign on the grill, neat and colour coded.

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

Have started to see a few other vans with them installed, anyone else got them?

Regards
Bill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
One of the extras that we got fitted to our new IH was a 360 degree camera system. Thought it would be a good safety aid and it offset the cost of a reversing camera and a second tv for the front of the van.

Been using it for 4 trips out now and have found it to be really useful, especially on the motorway. The installation has been really neat, it replaces the Fiat writing tray on top of the dash,

View attachment 169207

View attachment 169203

When driving along it gives you a split screen view, one half shows a Birdseye view of the van on the road, handy on narrow roads abroad, the other half either view behind, or if you indicate a clear view of that side.

View attachment 169202

The 4 cameras are installed at the back, high on the sides and just under the Fiat sign on the grill, neat and colour coded.

View attachment 169204

View attachment 169205

View attachment 169206

Regards
Bill
Looks very useful, if you don't mind how much did it cost pls

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We paid a bit more than you need to!! We wanted an HD quality screen installed in a special housing connected to our twin skew Cytrac sat system. Normally comes with replacement rear view mirror I think. Also we had everything colour coded etc. Our cost was £1400, which we were ok with.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We paid a bit more than you need to!! We wanted an HD quality screen installed in a special housing connected to our twin skew Cytrac sat system. Normally comes with replacement rear view mirror I think. Also we had everything colour coded etc. Our cost was £1400, which we were ok with.
Bill
:Eeek:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
That is a REALLY cool mod!!!

Does it help with blind spots when changing lanes on motorways?

Can you view the cameras with the engine off? I'm thinking great security feature if you heard a noise outside at night, it's like a full on CCTV system!

I'm sure I mentioned it on another thread of yours, but sign me up for first refusal on your MH when the time comes to sell it (y):D2

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Roger, yes, when you signal to move lane it shows you the view right down the side of your van, so no blind spots. Also helpful when moving past cyclists etc and makes parking an absolute doddle. Apparently you can close all the blinds and manoeuvre by screen alone, not that I've tried it of course!!
Can work offline as security, and if you want can record to a hard drive etc.
Will put you down for first refusal!
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
that's me hooked in, we need a new camera, saw something similar posted recently, will be looking for something very similar, does it have a brand name or is it a IH special?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just wishing to clarify a point,i thought it was a No-No. to look at certain screens while driving. OK.i know you have to look at the mirrors,speedo,Sat nav etc,but once when having a reversing cam fitted to a lorry,it had to be switched off when travelling forward ,as it was supposed to distract attention. I have no axe to grind on the fitting of whatever.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi teabag, honestly don't know! All my previous rear view cameras had the ability to stay on all the time though , not only when reverse is engaged.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi.
Just wishing to clarify a point,i thought it was a No-No. to look at certain screens while driving. OK.i know you have to look at the mirrors,speedo,Sat nav etc,but once when having a reversing cam fitted to a lorry,it had to be switched off when travelling forward ,as it was supposed to distract attention. I have no axe to grind on the fitting of whatever.
Tea Bag

Adding to what Teabag said, and again definitely no axe to grind, is it legal to have equipment fitted that restricts your view out of the windscreen?:unsure:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Are you able to provide a link please

For some reason it doesn't come up with the web page on my eBay app account but if you search ... 360 car camera system it comes up with loads, sort the rubbish out and there are a few good ones...

Are you bored with the view of Switzerland tonight Robert.....:D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For some reason it doesn't come up with the web page on my eBay app account but if you search ... 360 car camera system it comes up with loads, sort the rubbish out and there are a few good ones...

Are you bored with the view of Switzerland tonight Robert.....:D
No
It's just that I couldn't find a decent 360 camera system when I searched on EBay
Appears the OP found a proper system at a reasonable price
I guess you get what you pay for

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sadly screen not included
Seems like the seller is a bit dodgy too

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Guess everyone's idea of value and quality are different! . An omnlvue installation with hard drive etc and full installation can cost up to £1800, see tinternet for details!

I'm quite happy with both my installation, quality of kit and the integration with other facilities in my van, as I've said before if I had Ralph's skill I could do it myself much cheaper! £200, I don't think so ......

Bill

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi gellyneck, the screen directly replaces the Fiat based tray which is raised all the time, but honestly don't know if it's ok or not?! Would say that it's low down centrally and I find my eyeline is no different to looking at satnav, see our installation.
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No
It's just that I couldn't find a decent 360 camera system when I searched on EBay
Appears the OP found a proper system at a reasonable price
I guess you get what you pay for

I am phoning tomorrow, the ding in the back of my MH could have cost more to mend than this camera will cost :)(y)

works out around 4% of current value, much less than any of the new awning, air assist and self levelling, not to mention turbo o_O

drove a demo Mercedes car with the 360 camera fitted, amazing package, hope it works as well on a MH

I will let you know :)(y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Sadly screen not included
Seems like the seller is a bit dodgy too

Why u no say u wanted screen as well..
I am phoning tomorrow, the ding in the back of my MH could have cost more to mend than this camera will cost :)(y)

works out around 4% of current value, much less than any of the new awning, air assist and self levelling, not to mention turbo o_O

drove a demo Mercedes car with the 360 camera fitted, amazing package, hope it works as well on a MH

I could have had it as an option for £1k when I bought my new car but think just the rear cam is ok for cars.
When you look at the video on the omni cue site they do look good.
Will definitely look at it when I purchase my Motorhome.
I like that you can use it as a cctv system and set it up to a hard drive to record.

sid1234

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
:swear:

View attachment 169207

View attachment 169203

View attachment 169202

View attachment 169204

View attachment 169205

View attachment 169206

Regards
Bill
Ball's something else to spend my money on ::bigsmile:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi.
Just wishing to clarify a point,i thought it was a No-No. to look at certain screens while driving..........
Tea Bag
This point has been raised before and you are correct.

Unless the legislation has recently been amended and now working from memory, the driver being able to see 'live' images on a screen constitutes an offence, while the vehicle is moving.
If the OP's system can be set up to record from the forward facing camera, but not display the images on the screen, that is legal. If selecting reverse gear, or activating the indicators, fires up the display with the images from the relevant cameras, that also is legal.
Driving with the screen closed overcomes the problem, but then defeats the object of the lane change and reversing cameras.

Images from cameras mounted around the vehicle for safety purposes, which just show the immediate vicinity, I believe remain exempt under the same legislation, which therefore allows the images from reversing and lane change cameras.

Such a large display screen may not be legal if it blocks part of the forward view out of the windscreen, but from the driving position, it might only be blocking the driver's view of his bonnet ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Would be interesting to find out how/who retro fits for them

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
I have a Range Rover with 360 degree cameras fitted and it allows me to use the rear view camera whilst moving the image is displayed on a10 inch screen however if I tried to watch a video or tv it only lets the passengers view the screen so I can only assume that it must be legal to view images displayed from the rear whilst moving I can't see land rover blatantly breaking the law

John

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi Kingham and Teabag, as Dixi says when driving you can only view the image from the cameras, usually to the rear but side on when indicating. You can't watch the tv as you drive, or at least I've never tried!

Bill

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Dixi @dicksob Morning gents and apologies if my post has caused confusion, but I did say the rear view and lane change cameras were legal as they are providing information from the immediate vicinity of the vehicle.

My own dash cam has a small screen that switches on by default when I start my engine and I have to physically switch it back off to comply with the law. On lots of occasions I have been many miles in to a journey, before remembering and if I'd been unfortunate to have been spotted and stopped, I would have no argument if I got fined.
If Bill's system doesn't show the forward camera images on the screen while the van is moving, then as I said earlier, that is legal.

Below is a direct lift from the Construction & Use Act and we can consider LCD and other modern variations of CRTs to be catered for in the wording 'or other cinematographic apparatus'.

It is not always the fitting of something on our vehicles that is illegal, but the manner in which the driver uses them, so have a read and interpret it as you wish.

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a)about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b)about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c)to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d)to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back