360 camera being fitted this week (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@DavidG58 , now the initial excitement has worn off and you are used to it how do you find the 360 camera system? Do you find it good just for slow manoeuvring when parking etc.. or does it also assist on motorways and junctions when pulling out and overtaking?

Is there anything you would advise get done or not bother with?

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are getting used to ours, it is brilliant for manoeuvring and parking. I find that I do not use it a lot for overtaking, but we have bus mirrors and they are very good. Our camera keeps turning itself off whilst in use, I am waiting for someone from V Tec to contact me to arrange for a fitter to look at it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What I like about it is that you can see all 4 corners on one screen, rather than having to glance at two different mirrors and a reversing camera.
Far less likely to miss something

Shouldn't that be "Far less likely to hit something"?
(Only just seen this interesting thread. Sorry for the late observation)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I had thought of adding extra cameras to mine, but not wide angle or in the way that this system uses them:

1 Looking forward from passenger side, to assist overtaking when driving on the ‘wrong’ side;

2 Looking forward over the roof fittings, to confirm clearance below immovable objects;

3 Looking down over the grey waste exit, to improve the aim of a dump.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Neilfg evening Neil

All pretty much the same. Our old reversing camera was mounted low down below the bumper and was next to useless, so anything is better than that. We don't seem to see very far behind us, much over 20-30m you would not see anything.

Manoeuvres and on the move lane changing are excellent, the over view which I have as a permanent display is very good for lane positioning as well

The display is now a monitor on the dash where it was in the position a rear view mirror would be, so getting used to looking somewhere new, plus I have opted for the split display which means each view is relatively small

We have developed an oddity, or I think it has developed since fitted at least, our hard drive is mounted in a dash recess so is visible at all times, the hand over didn't really say much about this, but I have learnt it has a bump option that increases the recording resolution, unfortunately the bump needed is simply a pot hole or even cats eyes, the logger dings to say the event has happened and then records and flashes at the new resolution for about 20 seconds. We are getting dinged at most minutes of every journey, even motorways have sufficient dips and ruts to activate it a lot. I need to remember to send Trailer Vision an email to query this, I am sure it was either silent or far less frequent when first fitted

But we have got used to it now, 6000 miles round Scandanavia sorted that o_O

Key question, would I buy it again on my next MH? probably but I might not bother with the recording, save £500, but then I would have no evidence if we have a no fault bump

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
£500 for a DVR may seem a lot but it has to record 4 streams of data. I think I’d still have one if it was set to record at all times and the quality of the pictures was OK.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think the DVR has the GPS and crash detection, but it does seem at bit cumbersome and pricey all the same.

After some thought I think I would not bother if I already had good reversing cameras and decent dash cam.

But for a new van it would be an idea. I really like the idea @rogher of the roof mounted camera and the waste camera, not sure they need recording. And the screen would need to handle 7 feeds and be able to display different sets on request doubt that is possible :(

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Spoke to Ash (Vanbitz) at the NEC and he was pretty negative about the system.
Spud

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I really like the idea @rogher of the roof mounted camera and the waste camera, not sure they need recording. And the screen would need to handle 7 feeds and be able to display different sets on request doubt that is possible :(

Sure, I was referring to the recording of just the 360° views rather than the dump. Although it might just be useful to prove where and when you performed such activities if GPS is recorded also. If I had so many cameras, I'd have a switch box to select the additional ones.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have the factory fitted Hawkeye 360 system fitted as a factory option. It appears very similar, the only difference being I see the actual top of my van and not a computer generated image. Very interested in the addition of a hard drive to record the 360 image to replace the need for a dash cam. I will need to look into it.
Morelo have been very clever with the integration of the cameras. You would not know they were there unless you look closely. I looked at a Carthago who had a system fitted and the front stainless steel camera was screwed directly onto the bonnet it looked very much out of place and IMHO completely spoiled the look of a nice van.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have the factory fitted Hawkeye 360 system fitted as a factory option. It appears very similar, the only difference being I see the actual top of my van and not a computer generated image. Very interested in the addition of a hard drive to record the 360 image to replace the need for a dash cam. I will need to look into it.
Morelo have been very clever with the integration of the cameras. You would not know they were there unless you look closely. I looked at a Carthago who had a system fitted and the front stainless steel camera was screwed directly onto the bonnet it looked very much out of place and IMHO completely spoiled the look of a nice van.

I will post a photo of my cameras, the side ones are obvious, but fairly subtle in silver anodised finish, might help as my MH is champagne colour already,

would totally agree with you regarding the front one though, my fitters were about to do similar till I stopped them, we have a small black one mounted in the radiator grill you can hardly see (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Spoke to Ash (Vanbitz) at the NEC and he was pretty negative about the system.
Spud

might be to do with the fact that they don't sell them o_O

I did talk to Eddie at Vanbitz about them before doing mine, he was interested in the concept but said he could see them being a nightmare to fit discretely on a lot of motorhomes, a lot of cables need to be run to four different points then back to the monitor, the side ones being the obviously difficult ones

The cost to fit properly would make them unrealistic to fit, I think this was more or less his take on it, I would wholly endorse that, we had 2 men with us for 2 days, started at 10 on day one worked till 6, stayed over in local hotel, returned at 8 next day didn't leave till 8 and had to return to Didcot 150 miles away, all fitting done for £550

They did a brilliant job though, very tidy

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Yes it is a big job installing. When trying to get someone local to fit I was quoted £70ph. Mine took longer than David's. Excellent for parking especially if manoeuvring solo.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have just read the whole of this thread with interest.
I have come to the conclusion that I must be one of the best drivers on Motorhome Fun because I just don't need one.:LOL::LOL:;)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have just read the whole of this thread with interest.
I have come to the conclusion that I must be one of the best drivers on Motorhome Fun because I just don't need one.:LOL::LOL:;)

I might have come to the same conclusion but I would never tell anyone as I know then that sod's law ensures a low speed reversing prang would be imminent :D . Clean your mirrors Lesleyjean :D

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I might have come to the same conclusion but I would never tell anyone as I know then that sod's law ensures a low speed reversing prang would be imminent :D . Clean your mirrors Lesley :D
I must admit, I realised that I was tempting fate.
I will keep you all updated. :LOL:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Next door neighbour used to manage the local authority transport department when they collected bins etc. He reckoned half the accidents happened when reversing.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
Any updates on these?
looked at this and Caratec Birdview - anyone got that one?

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have a VTech, I'm not sure that the side cameras that work with the indicators are any use to me. If I look at the monitor whilst overtaking at 60 mph means that my eyes are off the road for too long. Maybe it's where the monitor is situated, I'm not sure. Our monitor replaced the reversing monitor. Other than that I wouldn't be without it, it's great for tight manoeuvring. It cost a lot of money, but must be cheaper than a scratch on our Carthago.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Any updates on these?
looked at this and Caratec Birdview - anyone got that one?

2 years use not bumped into anything ?? even getting round to repairing the damage I did which made me decide to fit them ?

General opinion is quite good, visibility is good although the rear view only really picks things up in detail inside about 50m

I think we would benefit from more cameras it is a long length to cover with one on each side but it does a good job

Purely on safety you would easily pick up a cyclist or pedestrian by the side or close behind, for manoeuvring in tight spots I am still undecided

The recording is hard work to download and resolution in terms of an accident I witnessed ahead of me was disappointing, but I think if my vehicle was involved it would be plenty good enough close up

In conclusion would I pay the same again to fit on a new MH, probably not ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have 360° cameras on my car but they don't give a good view in all conditions.
I use reversing sensors on the motorhome more than the rear view camera because I can look elsewhere whist listening for the warning.
I'd only spend so much on a system if I was unable to have a partner who could look around for me and shout if things got close.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
2 years use not bumped into anything ?? even getting round to repairing the damage I did which made me decide to fit them ?

General opinion is quite good, visibility is good although the rear view only really picks things up in detail inside about 50m

I think we would benefit from more cameras it is a long length to cover with one on each side but it does a good job

Purely on safety you would easily pick up a cyclist or pedestrian by the side or close behind, for manoeuvring in tight spots I am still undecided

The recording is hard work to download and resolution in terms of an accident I witnessed ahead of me was disappointing, but I think if my vehicle was involved it would be plenty good enough close up

In conclusion would I pay the same again to fit on a new MH, probably not ?
I have 360° cameras on my car but they don't give a good view in all conditions.
I use reversing sensors on the motorhome more than the rear view camera because I can look elsewhere whist listening for the warning.
I'd only spend so much on a system if I was unable to have a partner who could look around for me and shout if things got close.

Thanks both.
[

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back