316 cdi with sprint shift auto (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Hi guys, first ever post after considerable lurking.
I am looking at buying a 2004 Autotrail Cheyene 634 SE on the above chassis. I have had two other vans on the Ducato 2.8 JTD, but know nothing about Mercedes engines or auto gearboxes especially this vintage. It has done 55,000 plus miles, has great MOT history, just bulbs tyres and brake advisories. I have yet to test drive it and I would really appreciate some opinions and advice on the vehicle with regards reliability etc and what if anything to watch out for.

In particular is the Sprint shift gearbox/316CDi a well regarded setup.

Cheers in advance

Steve

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Oh you will get mixed reactions on this;) we have same year Mohican on the same chassis, love it great for towing (hill start) plenty of power, if you try to rush the sprintshift it's not like a full auto, but learn to drive it & enjoy (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
:hiya2:hellowelcome

I've driven front line ambulances fitted with Sprintshift & have no issues to report.
My last one was on 400k miles & counting.

If you do buy a vehicle on this chassis, I'd recommend buying an iCarsoft MB2 OBD 11 machine.

They're not expensive, upgrades are free for life & they are Mercedes specific on the MB2.
Covers most other Mercedes models too & that includes Smart cars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iCarsoft-MB-V2-0-Mercedes-Professional-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-iCARSOFT-UK/273117565974?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=54808&meid=8e6a7b8bbdea49c7902288f553be2ff7&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=273117565974&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:welco:

Make sure the gearbox oil has been changed, if not allow for it.
Nothing wrong with sprint shift but as said you need to learn to drive it and all good.
Engines good for 300 to 400k.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I cannot comment on the Sprintshift from experience; there have been reports of ongoing niggles and tendencies to switch into ‘limp mode’ whilst others have found them trouble-free. Note that MB stopped fitting the Sprintshift after around 2005. (My 316 from 2003 has a full auto box with torque converter and that is a delight to drive.)
The 2.7 litre 5-pot engine is great. It is smooth and powerful and at 55,000 miles it is just run in.
As with any engine and drive train, the servicing and care is vital.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi and welcome to the site. I have had3 Autotrails all on Merc chassis with the sprintshift 'box. Never had a moments trouble with any of them. As others have said they do take a bit of getting used to but once mastered they are great, not quite as good as the "proper" auto but the next best. What is the reg of the one you are thinking of buying?I have had a 2004 Cheyenne in the past.
BTW I am selling my 2002 Dakota at the moment- check in the "For Sale" section on here, may be an alternative for you.
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for those replies guys, I feel encouraged to dig a bit deeper on the mercs now. We've been without a van for about nine years now and I'm a bit out of touch, but the spec on this one is about spot on for us.
I have to say the build quality of the Autotrails of that era is so much better than the new stuff we have been looking at. I was shocked at the poor finish on most of the newish vans I have looked at and I don't like the look of the new Ducato, so I think this one on the Merc chassis will be just the job.

Dave, if that was at 6.5 meters I would be on my way to have a look mate, what a cracker.

Cheers

Steve.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi

Horrible gearbox . Nothing but trouble and most experts will tell you to avoid it.

1st gear is very short
It’s not an easy fix if it starts to fail. Even MERCEDES dealers will go down the trial and error route (at your cost).
Our local dealer did not even know how to start it!. They rang me (after to saying they had already been working on it) to suggest I had immobilised it.
MERCEDES dropped it, handing it down to VW in the crafter and it was re-branded “ShiftMatic”
It was also no good for the sprinter 6xx six ton sprinter chassis where MERCEDES stuck to the more reliable 5G-Tronic torque converter auto.

VW, who now build their own Crafter have also stopped using it.

My advice, avoid at all cost.

I have detailed a lot about it on other forums if you search.

If you do buy it, you might find their is an “F” in gearbox and it will pop up on your dash to tell you it’s broken.

I hope this helps ?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's all down to the experience you have with any vehicle we had a 2.7 Mercedes with the sprintshift, had it over 5 years did 30 odd thousand miles a lot towing a car on a trailer and loved it, never any problems good on fuel and pulled like a train. (y)

We only went back to Fiats because we wanted a van conversion, had the converters made one on a Mercedes that met our needs we would have had one. :LOL: Bob.

pkh

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None
I'm also posting after a long time lurking. I've taken an old (2002) Sprintshift with the 316 Cdi 8000 miles down round Europe and back with no real problems this summer. Sometimes you have to shift down manually, especially on uphill bends, and on long downhill gradients, but nothing that you wouldn't do anyway with a manual.
It's not a true automatic in the sense that the torque converter won't help you out, but if you get to know how it works it's a good piece of kit. Ask any lorry driver...

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Check the scuttke panel under the top of the bonnet. There are 2 drain holes either side that are easily blocked with leaf litter. The trough then fills with rain water and sludge resulting in mahussive corrosion. Auto gearbox is a joy to drive, it is the same as a manual gearbox but with extra stuff on the outside. The hydraulic pump that actuates the gears tend to fail and cost around £400 + VAT + fitting at your local friendly extortionately over priced Mercedes Dealer.

pkh

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None
Agreed that you have to look around on the Sprinters for corrosion, but my point was that the Sprintshift isn't a bad gearbox at all. Like everything, it depends on how you drive it. It's slow off the mark, sometimes takes an age to change up (apologies to all those who've heard me driving around campsites in first gear) but once going you can make it change on the accelerator. The bad press that the Sprintshift has got is largely, IMHO, because folk don't know how to drive. It.

pkh

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None
Didn't realise that I'd resurrected a year-old thread. Sorry, I'm not too good at this forum stuff. I shall stay quiet from now on.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Didn't realise that I'd resurrected a year-old thread. Sorry, I'm not too good at this forum stuff. I shall stay quiet from now on.
Don`t worry about it, no problems resurrecting old threads, happens all the time

pkh

Free Member
Mar 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None
Thanks Figaro. Maybe I won't stay quiet given the support on here. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back