'3' (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I know this has been covered before....but.....I am looking at the contract, with only a months cancellation, at £23 a month. However the shop tells us that we are unable to 'tether' to other devices, we use an I phone, iPad and a Mac.
We will be using the phone in France and Spain .

Thanks in advance

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
That sounds correct.

I changed to Three so that I could use the "feel at home" minutes and data as I was going to travel a fair bit this year, but they do seem able to detect that you want to use the data through another device and prevent it (I don't know why browsing Motorhome Fun on a laptop is any "worse" for three than on a two inch blackberry screen, but that's their rule). "Feel at home" also isn't available in two of the three (EU) countries that I visited!

They also seem to be able to throttle the speed -the phone may be in a 4G area, but as soon as you use the data it downgrades to "H" which is poor.

Three is cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have gone to 3 for my MiFi unit, but PAYG only..
That way I can top it up when we go away and not bother the rest of the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know this has been covered before....but.....I am looking at the contract, with only a months cancellation, at £23 a month. However the shop tells us that we are unable to 'tether' to other devices, we use an I phone, iPad and a Mac.
We will be using the phone in France and Spain .

Thanks in advance
You need a 3 data sim, these you can put in a MiFi and then your other devices can connect to it. If you only need the phones for voice rarely then your existing supplier should be fine, although the charges might be highish. If you want to use voice a lot when away then you need a second 3 sim for the phone only, assuming you are in a 3 "feely" country. :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I am more than happy with my 3 deal, 24 month contract, new phone every couple of years. We are just back from Australia and though I used my phone quite a bit whilst there it only cost an extra £2.64 on top of the £25 I normally pay. I have no problems with tethering either which we use when away in the van.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As Jaws say's , PAYG top up before we go, put on as much as you want or as little down to £10.
I purchased several £10.49 sims from Curry's when they were on offer @ £4.99,
I see on amazon someone is selling the sim's for £7.99

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I have no problems with tethering either which we use when away in the van.

Ah, yes, sorry, to clarify, tethering works perfectly well in the UK (around eight times faster than my home broadband...) , it was only out of the UK that I find three lacking.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Funnily i went into 3 again today after DBK said i should be good tethering when in NZ, see my NZ thread.

I was told I can have 8gb of data and 200 mins on pre pay for £20 but it will only last around 2 months, so only 2 top ups.
Didnt seem that expensive to use calling NZ numbers in an emergency either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back