3 weeks tour of France, june 2017 (1 Viewer)

steveh2112

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
thailand
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2014
hi all, i'm planning my grand tour of france for june and very excited about it, so i thought i would share my plan incase anyone has any advice.

i'm a brit expat living in Thailand with my Thai wife. we have travelled all over the western USA in a van already and want to do van travel in the UK and Europe. Unfortunately, the UK seems a bit expensive so we are mostly going to focus on France this year, and maybe an extended trip in future year.

i like to travel simple and light, so i'm planning to get something like a 15 seater minibus, take the seats out, put a mattress and a camping toilet in the back and hit the road.

our route will take us through Strasbourg, Geneva (visit Cern because i'm a science geek), the mountains of Mont Blanc and Annecy areas, Gorge Du Verdon, bit of the riviera, and up thought the middle, Borges, Rouen, etc.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oxf...ca9!2m2!1d-1.5490774!2d53.8007554!2m1!2b1!3e0
i don't know if that link will work, but that's the route.

we like history, nature, walks, wine, etc. not so bothered about beaches since we live on a tropical island.

i have a bunch or aires planned out from the campingcar website but welcome any suggestions about places and visit and stay, and travel tips.

thanks, steve

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi and welcome. The route looks good but I'd be tempted to go further west when returning and come up via Carcassonne and the Dordogne for more history.

As for vehicles, I wonder if a transit van would be cheaper, easier to convert and hold more value when selling on.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Done all that and 3 weeks will be cutting it right next to the mustard. My advice (as that's what youre after). Is to do this trip but almost finish it on the South coast and then do the heavy travelling back from Montpellier in one huge swoop therefore giving you a lot more time to see the areas south of Luxembourg. Fill up with fuel in Luxembourg and Dudelange is a great stop so that you can catch the train in to the city for 3 euros. When going through Alsace make sure Eguishem is on your hit list, Cascades du Herrison is a must and wildcamp at Lac D'Ilay for this. Lac de vouglans is a bit of a detour but worth it. If you go over that road to Gex then there is a fantastic stopping point to view Mont Blanc from there. I think Cern is right on the border and would be tempted to stay in France unless not using the motorways because of the cost of the vignette for such a short journey. Seysell is a ood aire but the better one which might not be on your agenda is 20 kms down the road at Serrierres. You have to stop at Chanaz, simply stunning and you get away with wild camping if you follow the river (not the canal) north a bit. Belley is a good aire, nice and q next to a sports field, with a couple of decent lakes with 10 k. I d then be tempted to take the Gap road down to Sisteron for the couple of nice lakes and the view going down to Gap. (Seriously rest your brakes on this one) Moustieres has to be a stopover and allow yourself a couple of days to go round the gorges and look on the south side for the clues called Styx which are well worthy of a stop. you might want a couple of days round lac de st Croix as well. Greoux is very pretty. Check out Mt Ventoux at this stage as you might want to alter journey if not give no consideration whatsoever to staying at Arles (travel to Beaucaire instead) unless you wish to be surrounded by down and outs all night. Nimes is well worthy though Be aware of the mozzies and gypsies dependant upon time of year in the camargue but check out the bull running in that area. Chartres cathedral is worth a look on the way back but probably not worth an overnight. Nonacourt is a fantastic stopover aire. Make sure you know your way round Rouen for the way back. That is a serious load of travelling for 3 weeks, I know because I have made the mistake of trying to get it all in before ! I am sure somebody else will be along to offer different advice shortly. MIssing out on Annecy is something I wouldn't do. Always worth the risk of trying to get in the aire. A detour to Alpe D'huez if interested in cycling or magnificent views is worth it as well.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Beware heavy traffic in July particularly around National Day (usually called Bastille Day by the ignorant). It will seem that the whole of France and Belgium and Netherlands has brought their MHs out of mothballs so I suggest that you do not set your routes and overnight stops in stone.

Good luck anyway and enjoy the caravan goodies.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I just looked at your link and I see it totals just over 2.200 miles. Admitedly that includes the UK part of the trip.

The roads will be a whole lot busier in July as a lot of Europe is on school holidaya.

I fear doing that lot in only 3 weeks means you will see a lot of France but most of it through the windscreen.

Your choice and I hope you enjoy the trip but not for me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Steve, welcome to the fun house!

You're gonna do a LOT of driving and not much else ... I'd be tempted to either extend the length of time you can spend abroad or shorten your trip.

When we worked the maximum we could get away at any one time was 3 weeks and always tried to cram in as much as possible but used to regret it as we never really 'experienced' a lot, although we 'saw' a lot as we drove by!

As for your vehicle ... you'd probably struggle to get insurance for it and I'm sure there are better ways to get a basic usable camper than that, you may also have problems on some aires if your vehicle doesn't resemble a camper especially in June when space is at a premium and the local police might move you on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
It's great fun planning and the anticipation is part of the holiday. As others have said, by all means have a plan but be prepared to change it do don't set campsites in stone. We have been known to book in for one night and stay for nine! Not applicable in your case but you will find some fabulous places on the way down your route as long as you take the time to stop and get off the autoroutes. Allow yourself a chance to be able to say "let's just stop here for a couple of nights".
Enjoy!

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Just noticed that my old git syndrome kicked in and I read July for the June you wrote.

So traffic won't be horrendous - though there may well be a lot of us retirees touring before those holidays - but I still think the distance is going to be a waste of three weeks. Cover a lot of France but explore very little of it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We've done most of that route in three weeks; it was hectic but we spent 4 days in two separate places and 3 in another and then went home via Normandy so we had a longer drive - it was a challenge but not excessive. I would prefer not to do it again because we have the opportunity of visiting every year but it is, in my opinion achievable.

You should be able to get to CERN without a vignette; there is one road in and out of Geneva / France that doesn't require one.

I'd be tempted to focus on a few key features; hiking around Mt Blanc, Roman ruins in the SE of France, castles in the West and vineyards according to the wine that you like. It might help compartmentalise the experience so that it becomes less of a blur.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We've done most of that route in three weeks; it was hectic but we spent 4 days in two separate places and 3 in another and then went home via Normandy so we had a longer drive - it was a challenge but not excessive. I would prefer not to do it again because we have the opportunity of visiting every year but it is, in my opinion achievable.

You should be able to get to CERN without a vignette; there is one road in and out of Geneva / France that doesn't require one.

I'd be tempted to focus on a few key features; hiking around Mt Blanc, Roman ruins in the SE of France, castles in the West and vineyards according to the wine that you like. It might help compartmentalise the experience so that it becomes less of a blur.
Great advice, well put:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i like to travel simple and light, so i'm planning to get something like a 15 seater minibus, take the seats out, put a mattress and a camping toilet in the back and hit the road.

All in 3 weeks ?

You'd better check out how many obstacles the French will put in your way with driving licence and vehicle regs.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Forgot to mention about the wine. Look out for "Caves" in the wine regions and take your empty water containers in and you can buy some absolute rubbish from a euro a litre up to some quite good wines for 3 euros a litre and they fill it up and weigh it. When in France .........

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Look out for "Caves" in the wine regions and take your empty water containers in and you can buy some absolute rubbish from a euro a litre up to some quite good wines for 3 euros a litre and they fill it up and weigh it.

1. Caves are everywhere
2. Weigh it? never seen that - and why would they unless you are part filling a 45 gallon drum.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
1. Caves are everywhere
2. Weigh it? never seen that - and why would they unless you are part filling a 45 gallon drum.

There are Caves everywhere but not all of them have unbelievably big barrels that they basically draw the wine off like beer from a keg. These are generally found on within the wine region and they sell wine by the litre. You take in a 5 litre container they fill it up after the scales have been neutralised and make sure by weight that you have received your 5 litres (1 Litre = 1 Kg) then you pay. A lot of the Caves you see in towns sell bottles of wines rather than "bulk"

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Forgot to mention about the wine. Look out for "Caves" in the wine regions and take your empty water containers in and you can buy some absolute rubbish from a euro a litre up to some quite good wines for 3 euros a litre and they fill it up and weigh it. When in France .........
What's wrong with a € a litre? I've bought some really good wines, in bottles at €0.99 and brought loads home only to find they're £5/6 here.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There is nothing wrong with a euro a litre. I bought it all the time til i tried some of the extortionately priced 2 euros for the bordeaux superior and this palate of mine could taste the difference. I even began to start drinking this stuff out of wine glasses rather than 3/4 pint glasses to save me having to fill it up so much. I got my self an antonnoi (havent got a clue how to spell it but a funnel) a decanter and now me ma thinks i is posh ! Some of thee cremants you can get in Auchan for a euro a bottle are stunningly good value as they look just like champagne and make great presents.

OP
OP
steveh2112

steveh2112

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
thailand
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2014
thank you all so much for the great advice, especially suavecarve, i need to study that post in detail.

yes, i am going in june, i've lived in the south of france for one summer many years ago and i think the whole of holland descended on our village in july.

about the vehicle, i'm actually thinking about scaling down to a MPV like a Toyota previa/estima/lucida kind of thing. i figure there is enough room in there for an air mattress and camping toilet if i take the back seats out. we'd have to find showers as we go, and cook outside.

i have heard that some airs want you to have a real, fully self contained camper van, but i don't know it that's going to be a significant problem, or if its just that we have to look for ones that are more flexible. i've looked at all the youtube aire videos i can find and it looks like many airs have picnic tables. would i be able to set up a camping cooker on there?

we'll also stay in some paid camp grounds, i've seen quite a lot of nice looking places for less than 20 euro a night.

i realize the itinerary i've set is maybe a bit too aggressive. maybe i'll turn around at verdon area if we are running short of time, but that the nice thing about motohoming i guess, no need to book anything, just live for the moment.

thanks again everyone.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
i've looked at all the youtube aire videos i can find and it looks like many airs have picnic tables. would i be able to set up a camping cooker on there?

Some of the lay-by type aires have brick or block BBQs as well so I imagine the answer is yes.

Though you may find that if your lunch table does not comprise tablecloth, good wine, your second best china and glassware and at least a 4 course luncheon (albeit cold) the French en famille may look down their noses at your meagre fare.

Bonne chance et bon voyage

OP
OP
steveh2112

steveh2112

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
thailand
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2014
Though you may find that if your lunch table does not comprise tablecloth, good wine, your second best china and glassware and at least a 4 course luncheon (albeit cold) the French en famille may look down their noses at your meagre fare.

i'm English, i think that's a fait accompli the minute i get on the ferry

Seine

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class Autotrail
Exp
Why not try a place called Brantome? in the Dordoyne.

Seine

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class Autotrail
Exp
Another place to try Rocamdour, not to far from Bordeaux, about 50 miles maybe,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun