3-way fridge run off leisure battery?

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Gary217, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Ratings:
    +322
    Hi - I've dallied with this before but in a different way so apologies if you've spotted my previous posts of a similar nature.

I'm sure there is a good reason why not, but why don't the 3-way fridges run off the leisure battery instead of only off the 12v when the engine is running? I'm thinking they could run for a short time off the leisure battery when we're parked up for a short while in town or at services or, most conveniently, when on a ferry (as can't use gas then for obvious reasons!).
    We often forget to switch over when parking up for a little while and this would be so much more convenient (just like the compressor fridge in our previous VW was).

Surely the leisure battery could support the fridge for a few hours before needing a recharge?

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,028
    Some do run of the leisure batteries, ours does.

Martin

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +18,151
    They do on Hymers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,228
    You just answered your own question.
    Forgetting to switch back from 12v guarantees a flat battery.
    Unless you constantly open and close the door it will maintain temperature for hours with NO power source at all.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,112
    It was an option on our Frankia, only used it on longer ferry crossings.

But we did have about 660 (330) Ah of battery. And solar when on open decks.

6. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +6,871
    Not on mine it doesn't.

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +12,880
    On most vans they only work on 12v when the engine is running and i think they can consume something like up to 10amps.
    So the alternator is needed to keep things charged...

Not every van is the same.. So depends on make / model.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +18,151
    Fairly certain all Hymers from 2007 do.

9. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Yes, very much so.

Elektroblocks usually have the fuse removed for 12v use whilst stationary. This can be fitted for use with AES fridges that have good Solar and Battery.

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +26,632
    We had an AES fridge in a Rimor and didn't know that it could keep working on 12v when the engine was turned off ... fortunately we realised before it damaged the batteries!

11. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Ratings:
    +10,096
    Our AES can run just from solar if it’s sunny enough....

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +7,313
    Not on my 2015 B678 either Lenny. Only works when the engine is running. There is always a live 12V to my AES fridge, but that only maintains settings and lights and igniter.

13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +6,871
    2005 don't :)

14. funflair

Ratings:
    +13,028
    Just because an AES or any fridge runs on 12v when the engine is running that does not mean that it is running off the engine battery, it simply means that it is running from whatever 12v source it is wired to but the switching is controlled by a signal from the engine running D+.

On our van 2006 Hymer well N+B actually;) the fridge is running from the leisure batteries but only when the engine D+ signal says that it can because the alternator is charging, I have wired a solar controller with AES output to the fridge and this mimics the D+ to switch the fridge to run on the leisure batteries once they are full.

Martin

15. funflair

Ratings:
    +13,028
    If you want to know which batteries your fridge runs from switch it to manual 12volts and see which battery/batteries go down.

Martin

16. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Ratings:
    +322
    Ok, seems that some can run their 3-way fridges from the leisure batteries. At the moment our fridge doesn't work on 12v with the engine off.
    As it is a deep cycle battery designed to be discharged and recharged then if the fridge is left on 12v for a long period and the battery empties it shouldn't really matter, just like my compressor fridge on the VW used to do on rare occasions of off-grid long stops. That leisure battery lasted us the five years we had the van with a number of discharges.
    So, I think I could get the 3-way rewired to run off the leisure battery when switched to 12v and when driving all is ok as the leisure battery is being charged, and when parked for a short while (up to 3/4 hours or a ferry crossing to say Corsica) leaving it on 12v it will run merrily away, granted it will be discharging the battery but this will get topped up.
    For longer stops/overnight we'll aways use hook up 240v or gas as that is probably too long and the battery won't have enough umph for that.
    Apart from the complication of re-wiring is there any problem with this as a solution?

17. Shrimp

Shrimp Funster

Ratings:
    +2,630
    Our Hymer-2001-fridge only works on 12v when ignition is on!

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +18,151
    That is from the engine battery we are talking about the habitation battery.
    My 2008 Hymer would switch over to the hab battery when on AES if no other source of energy, I pulled the fuse to stop it. My 2014 Hymer I think did the same I didn't give it the chance I pulled the fuse. My 2017 Hymer will run from the hab battery if 12v is manually selected.

19. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Ratings:
    +383
    In my EBL101 there is a 20A fuse. It is labelled "nur mit Kompr/AES Kuhlschrank einsetzen!". This means 'insert only with Compressor/AES fridge'. This fuse supplies the current for the AES fridge when the engine is not running (ie the D+ wire is not active).

Maybe on some Hymers the fuse has blown, or was never fitted.

My fridge takes 14.4 amps when the element is on. The thermostat controls it, so it is not on all the time, especially if the fridge starts off cold and the door is not opened.

The fridge is often powered by the leisure batteries on ferries or the channel tunnel, when the gas must be isolated.

I have a custom arrangement that connects the inverter batteries to the leisure batteries to make 4 x 100Ah for the Santander ferry crossing of more than 24 hours.

20. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +6,655
    3 way absorbsion fridges are very differrent from compressor fridges and use more power on 12v if you have solar and a aes fridge you can use a solar reg that uses excess current to run the 3 way