3 (Three) 12gb 12 month data card for my MiFi (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What’s more, all our new 4G Data SIMs come with Vodafone Global Roaming, giving you the freedom to use your UK data in 110 destinations worldwide. There’s no extra charge to use your UK data allowance in our 50 Roam-free destinations [PDF:668KB]
Being aware of the restrictions that Three offer I went into our Vodafone shop and told them about my plans to overwinter in Europe and needed a data sim that I could use without restrictions and they offered me the deal that I put in the above link. No hidden restrictions and you get the full allowance too. They then went on to say, keep an eye out for any specials offers that could suddenly appear on their website.
I gave them a right grilling and asked a shed load of questions. The only aspect I did not like was when it comes to cancelling the rolling contract, this has to be done over the phone so they can verify they are dealing with the contract owner. They said make it clear you want to end the contract as they will try and talk you into keeping it but once they understand you want to cancel they agree and process straight away. You're not kept in a queue for long either.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Further to my post above, I have just been informed by Vodafone there is a two month fair usage restriction on the 30 day rolling contract in Europe but many customers are finding they are not being restricted. Sounds a bit hit and miss to me.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I did an online chat with Vodafone who were completely honest with me. The tw*t in the shop was only interested in the sale I think but the online chat advisor had to be honest with me because you have the option of keeping a record of the chat conversation. She said you can use the full monthly allowance and advised to wait and see if you were restricted after two months as many users are apparently not (?). She advised to cancel the contract at that point if you were throttled back. I said I would probably cancel after one month knowing I would get two months full allowance with them whilst in Europe. It will be 3 months before we leave and I'll keep an eye on this and see if any special offers are available before I depart. I'm tempted to buy anyway as 30GB for £25.00 per month is still an exceptional deal.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having just investigated, what I thought of as a rolling monthly contract with Vodafone - isn't. They call it a thirty day rolling contract so when you want to end the contract (which you can only do by phone) you are committed to another 30 days which in my case means paying for another month as the monthly payment is due during the 30 days. Drat. They might take payment pro-rata but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Having just investigated, what I thought of as a rolling monthly contract with Vodafone - isn't. They call it a thirty day rolling contract so when you want to end the contract (which you can only do by phone) you are committed to another 30 days which in my case means paying for another month as the monthly payment is due during the 30 days. Drat. They might take payment pro-rata but I'm not holding my breath. :)
Just cancel your contract a month before you want it to end. Simples !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
To make one or two points clear that are written above about Vodafone...
Used them for our recent 5 month trip around Europe, now still using it in Spain, no restrictions used all the Data allowance every month, generally 3G sometimes 4G signal.
Came over on Bilbao ferry last week and forgot to turn off Data Mobile on phone....phone connected to Maritime Provider...OUCH....looked like I ran up a £18 extra bill, but no, £30 bigger OUCH...got on to Vodafone who after an hour of FREE CHAT, credited me the £30...now thats what I call a good provider......not taking too much notice of the ways to cancel postings....why should I?

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
Seven Day Shop have them but they've gone upto 31quid.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

My understanding is that they impose Zero restrictions, the guy in the shop in the UK where I signed up was willing to accept my Spanish address, but I chose to use my Mother in Laws UK address. Really havent had any problems with them......YET

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At the risk of adding further confusion, for those who don't use much data the 12Gb Three card is a good option. For heavy data users, like me, there are better options. Vodafone now do a 15Gb data card for £20 on a 30 day contract. Since the roaming charges were abolished there is greater choice now.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
At the risk of adding further confusion, for those who don't use much data the 12Gb Three card is a good option. For heavy data users, like me, there are better options. Vodafone now do a 15Gb data card for £20 on a 30 day contract. Since the roaming charges were abolished there is greater choice now.
Agreed, ie, great for emails, resized photos, and browsing the internet. I don't do streaming or downloading of vids.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just thought it worth mentioning., the PAYG 12 GB Three data card is now throttled back to 9 GB abroad and the Vodaphone 30 day rolling contract has a fair usage policy in that after 2 months abroad a significant restriction applies and you start paying through your nose for data. Their customer services rep told me many customers appear not to have this restriction imposed upon them when abroad but could not say why and if it would apply to me. I believe this was pure sales pitch to squeeze more money out of me. However, it's still a great deal and I will take out the 30GB for £25.00 per month rolling contract and cancel after one month, so at least covered for 2 months and look at other options to cover the rest of our trip.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I recently bought the Three 40Gb package, its a minimum 12 month contract but at just £17 a month its a bargain. Especially as it includes Go Binge, which means I can let Katie watch Netflix on it to her hearts content, without her nicking my precious allowance. http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB
Check the fine print, I seem to recall it saying words to the effect that whilst the film broadcast itself was free, the duration of the adverts appearing during the film came out of your allowance.

Malcolm

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Check the fine print, I seem to recall it saying words to the effect that whilst the film broadcast itself was free, the duration of the adverts appearing during the film came out of your allowance.

Thanks, are there adverts on Netflix? Never seen one.

Wixie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
M/H 5 years, 35+ years camping & caravaning
Just back from 7 week trip down to Croatia passing through 9 countries en route. I used the rolling monthly Vodafone data SIM at £20 for 15GB in my Huawei router device. No problems anywhere. First month used all 15GB of data bar the last 45MB. 4G access almost everywhere. Compared to sites that offered their own free wifi it was like grease lightning.
As previously mentioned you need to give Vodafone 30 days notice to cease the contract. Just set up a reminder on your phone/tablet.
Avoided the hard sell by praising the SIM and telling them I would be getting one for my next trip.

Used the Three equivalent last year. Got cut off after 12GB and it didn't work anywhere in Croatia and rural France. 3G was the best I got anywhere where it worked. Complained on return and got a full refund. Would not use again.

If your visiting Portugal NoS do/did a 10 day for 10 euro unlimited 4G data card which was excellent as you could keep renewing it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back