3 sims abroad (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm a little confused. I'm considering getting a 3 PAYG sim for my phone and using my phone as a local hotspot so my tablet and laptop can access the data. I have just spoken to a 3 store person and they say that the sim does not allow the phone be a hot-spot abroad. Has anyone found this to be the case? Is the only way I can get data to my tablet and laptop to use a mifi device? I did find a phrase on one of the 3 web pages "Tethering isn't included on Pay As You Go", so assume that means hot-spots? (sorry not a techno geek!).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm a little confused. I'm considering getting a 3 PAYG sim for my phone and using my phone as a local hotspot so my tablet and laptop can access the data. I have just spoken to a 3 store person and they say that the sim does not allow the phone be a hot-spot abroad. Has anyone found this to be the case? Is the only way I can get data to my tablet and laptop to use a mifi device? I did find a phrase on one of the 3 web pages "Tethering isn't included on Pay As You Go", so assume that means hot-spots? (sorry not a techno geek!).
No you can't tether, it just seizes if you try it, but you can with O2 but costs £1.99 a day

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Argos have some half price 3 1GB sims at the mo. for mifi. Guess that may be the way to go. I only need to buy the mifi box once. I'd have paid for it with our fortnight in France. Are there good and bad mifi units. Ones I should avoid (maybe subject for another post!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Used 3 data card all the way through France last week on way home to Spain, and it performed very well. My wife tethered her Samsung Tablet to my tablet each day to help burn off the remaining allowance on the card.......... no problem.

regards, Bryan

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Likewise through France July no prob using phone to tether to netbook on 3 sim with data package

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
3 sims abroad..

thought it was a post about a puter game.. :roflmto:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
3pay (older three package) payg £10 top up last 45 days .used to be 90 days. 5000 mins 3to3 300 txt & 150mg data & still £10 credit for cross network or data.

Other phone all singing all dancing 3 unlmited data .which usually means 25/26 gb .per month.also use it to d/l films etc
Set your phone data to higher figure .

Can tether to ? When in france .

Mifi i have 3 data sim (12gb) or 12 months whatever comes first bought last year on ebay £32 . Runs out in Dec this year got 3.5 gb left .now they are around £55 on ebay .
All work well in france .
Hope that helps.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Just an edit with a data sim only as you probably know you cant make a phone call so d/l skype .viber and prob a few others and you can ,so long as the the other party also has the same viber and whatsapp can also send pics and videos

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have been using 3 PAYG for phone and data on this current French trip. I get all the internet I need on my Asus tablet phone (just a big mobile phone really) but when updating my blog I do tether my laptop.

We did this in Denmark and Sweden too. I do however make a point of getting on and off the tether quickly in case I get blocked. I think it really depends on how much and what type of tethering you do. When blogging I am only uploading and this uses much less data than downloading.

Lastly you have to have a 3 PAYG for at least 30 days before you can use the 'feel at home' abroad.

Having said all of that I think the 3 system is good value

:)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I was looking at getting a 3 PAYG mifi for our trip to France/Spain on 16th Sept. Argos and Curry's doing a deal at present. Problem is as I understand it, they are no good in Spain with high roaming charges. Can they be easily un-locked or would I be better to buy an un-locked mifi from ebay and data sim either locally?

Lots of threads on here on this subject, it's a real mine field!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

I assume you did not see my last post on a previous topic.

3 advertise the fact that from the 1st January 2014 the equipment they supplyy is unlocked. I phoned them the other day and the person I spoke to was very helpful but initially was not sure whether or not the new MIFI I had just got from them was unlocked. I explained that I wanted to know incase I needed to consider another sim when abroad if the 3 sim had problems.In your case maybe get a Spanish Data PAYG data sim whilst in Spain until they add Spain to the Feel at Home scheme. He had my My3 account details and asked me for the IEME number of the E5330 MIFI but before I could get the number, which is under the battery inside it, he said that it was unlocked. I can only assume that new MIFI's from 3 would seem to be unlocked like their phones are now. Cannot say whether the stock at Currys etc is new enough to be unlocked. I can only assume that they are pro unlocking there old equipment if their new stuff is unlocked.

When you get a 3 Sim you create a My3 account which is associated with yout sim and you need the Sims mobile phone number when you ring them for advice.

Doug

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Thanks for that Doug, I suspect the Curry's and Argos deal equipment is older stock and therefore on offer as its the E5220 I was looking @ £44.97 with 3GB. They also have the E5330 @ £59.99 again with 3GB which seems a fair price. Perhaps I need to pop in and try to establish wheter locked or not.

Many thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back