LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I telephoned 3 companies yesterday to insure our 2015 Globestar, they all had exactly the same information and the results were:

Lifesure. £957.68

Safeguard. £516.93

Comfort. £312.74

All were fully comprehensive, for 4000 miles and EU breakdown cover.

It makes you wonder how they calculate their quotes! but no doubt about who we will be using.

Ginny

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I telephoned 3 companies yesterday to insure our 2015 Globestar, they all had exactly the same information and the results were:

Lifesure. £957.68

Safeguard. £516.93

Comfort. £312.74

All were fully comprehensive, for 4000 miles and EU breakdown cover.

It makes you wonder how they calculate their quotes! but no doubt about who we will be using.

Ginny
They use “Lancelot” and set of balls 6, apparently

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It makes you wonder how they calculate their quotes! .

The same way all insurance companies calculate their quotes regardless of what you're insuring.

They all have their own individual risk profiles for each thing they're insuring based on both industry data and their own experience of said product.

Let's take your motorhome as an example and say the base premium based on industry data only would be £500. Now lets look at your three quotes.

Lets assume Safeguard don't have anything either way to add to the industry data so near enough the base premium is good enough for them.

Lifesure may have paid out 3 or 4 claims on Globestars in the last year so their risk profile for that vehicle is higher than the standard so it follows that their premium will be higher - their recent experience shows that a Globestar presents a higher risk to them so they want more to cover it.

On the other hand Comfort may not have paid any claims on Globestars in the last 4 years so their risk profile for the vehicle would be lower and they can afford to risk offering a lower premium.

I've maybe over simplified it a bit but that's how all insurance companies calculate premiums.

Get quotes from the same three companies for a different motorhome and you may well find that Comfort are the dearest and Lifesure are the cheapest.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also with any insurance policy for anything beware of selecting only on price and nothing else. It may come back to bite you.

You need to ensure that the cover really is what you need and you should also look at as many reviews as you can and try and get a feel for how they will handle a claim if you need to make one.

The last time I insured a car it was about 15 down the list on Compare the Market and about 25% dearer than the cheapest quote before I found one I was happy to go with based on reviews.

Deleted User
Another thumbs up for comfort, European breakdown included, £350 includes 10k annual and came out best second year running avoiding the usual need to change company every year. I appreciate loyalty is worthless, however, the lack of hassle of changing was a bonus.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
4000 miles that's one trip away for us :)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Also with any insurance policy for anything beware of selecting only on price and nothing else. It may come back to bite you.

You need to ensure that the cover really is what you need and you should also look at as many reviews as you can and try and get a feel for how they will handle a claim if you need to make one.

The last time I insured a car it was about 15 down the list on Compare the Market and about 25% dearer than the cheapest quote before I found one I was happy to go with based on reviews.
This is sound advice.

But strangely insurance is one of those products where the more you pay doesn’t mean the better the cover and or service/claims service.

As @NickNic identified, different insurers have different risk appetites but also have different target markets.If you don’t fit the target market for whatever reason, you will get a price designed to put you off insuring with them.

So just as you should be wary of buying cheap (which might or might not be good), be equally wary of thinking “it’s expensive so it must be good”...

Deleted User

Do you really take much notice of reviews?

In my experience only people with bad experiences bother to review insurance companies, I went through the process a couple of years ago and even the top rated companies had lots of bad reviews.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you really take much notice of reviews?

In my experience only people with bad experiences bother to review insurance companies, I went through the process a couple of years ago and even the top rated companies had lots of bad reviews.

It’s the bad ones that you need to know about. It’s not the reviews themselves I look at but the proportion that are bad.

It works for me. Apart from bloody Comfort/Aviva I’ve never had any problems with insurers.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All three companies are agents, not insurance companies or underwriters, who are the ones accepting, and therefore charging for, the risk. In the motorhome industry many of the agencies use the same underwriters- Aviva! That's why I simply cannot understand why there should be such a huge difference in quotes!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It works for me. Apart from bloody Comfort/Aviva I’ve never had any problems with insurers.[/QUOTE]

What were your Comfort issues if you dont mind me asking.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back