DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
steve69....go easy removing the fridge vents.....I had a go at taking one off my moho this week (just to to take a nosey behind) and despite doing it correctly without being heavy handed, managed to snap it in the corner....thats £90 for a replacement then.
That's a good point, at ten years old the plastic may be getting brittle especially when it's cold. I suggest waiting until it gets warmer although you could try a hair dryer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I wouldn't drink out of a ten year old tank. Our van is 5 years old, I clean the tank properly (I thought) every year and it looks like this inside... ???

20190705_163834.jpg

20190705_163920.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
you filling it from streams? ours is inside and spotless we just drain it if were not using for more than a couple of weeks
No ? only chlorinated tap water and clean it with VWP powder which is the same as puri clean. I'll have to mix it up stronger. It's difficult to get in physically to scrub it. This is the top, with a 100mil screw cap.

20190705_164120.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I don't think it drains fully, looking at the crap in the buttom. I Suppose I could throw a bottle of bleach in, soak and drain it without going into the pipework ?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I wouldn't drink out of a ten year old tank. Our van is 5 years old, I clean the tank properly (I thought) every year and it looks like this inside... ???

View attachment 383466

View attachment 383467

It would appear that we’re luckier than you, I also clean out our internal tank after each away, ours is spotless, like new, plus ours has a drain plug, does yours not have a plug ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our motorhome is over 4 years old and the tank is spotless. I clean it and the rest of the water system out with diluted powdered food grade citric acid once a year. I have good access and can see and reach most of the tank, although I don't wipe it, just leave the citric acid in for a few hours and then rinse well. That normally happens just before we go for our spring tour, but not this year though! After that I drain down when I get home and refill when I leave again. I have a stopper on a screw at the bottom of the tank which is operated from outside the tank. We have a 3M microbial filter and drink the water and cook with it etc.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I thought about fitting an extra tank to the Rienza . The filler pipe for the tank is routed through the side wall in the corner locker. Being in the corner it wouldn’t take up much space, a 10/20 litre tank would fit.
After a bit of thinking we would still have a grey tank that is already smaller than the fresh water tank. Having to empty the grey tank more often would not justify not having to fill the fresh water as often.
I now carry a 20 litre fresh water container and a 25 litre grey water container. I can store the grey water until it is convenient to dump it.
Not everyone has the storage space we have. You could store containers in the bathroom whilst travelling.
The matter of tyres has reminded me I don’t know how old our spare tyre is. It looks new but I havnt checked the age code.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It would appear that we’re luckier than you, I also clean out our internal tank after each away, ours is spotless, like new, plus ours has a drain plug, does yours not have a plug ?
It has a drain valve?, but it doesn't look like it drains all the water out. ?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
1 - can you post some photos?
2 - I think they need replacing - I believe 6 years is the safety limit
3 - no idea!
Tyres are meant to be replaced after five years as the material degrades meaning you can have very little wear but they are more than likely to fail. I know, I have had that happened to me more than once so never again.

diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
First was the Autostratus LS, then a 2004 Autotrail Scout followed by a Nissan Civilian conversion.
Hiya Steve 69,

I was in your boat once, I had a set of ten year old tyres on my Eldiss Autostratus which looked pretty good (I was working as a tyre fitter at the time); I had a niggling feeling that I should change them because of their age but decided not too..........
5 months later, whilst on an Italian motorway one of the rears blew, I was lucky it was a Sunday and the motorway was empty because the van swerved EVERYWHERE, i'm sure it was up on two wheels at one point (no chance of controlling it); if it was a usual busy weekday i'm positive I would have been in a high speed collision with something! Turned out once I had pulled over and assessed the damage that the tyre had thrown it's tread off and then deformed it's shape wildly and was still inflated, it did allot of damage at the rear including ripping a hole through the MH wooden floor and breaking the plastic wheel arch trim.

I have now learnt my lesson!

Please change the tyres, and search on here for the best options for replacements. :giggle:

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Tyres are meant to be replaced after five years as the material degrades meaning you can have very little wear but they are more than likely to fail. I know, I have had that happened to me more than once so never again.
[/

Oops wrong post

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
It has a drain valve?, but it doesn't look like it drains all the water out. ?

Ours doesn’t empty completely, so I put an old towel in to soak up the remaining water, then wipe it dry, so it’s always clean, I’ve also installed an inline water filter

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ours doesn’t empty completely, so I put an old towel in to soak up the remaining water, then wipe it dry, so it’s always clean, I’ve also installed an inline water filter
Actually ? that's an idea for todays task ? there is a cheap filter on the pump outlet but I can remove the tank and thoroughly clean it ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Couldn't get the tank out so I put a 1.5L of boiling water in it and about ¼ of a tub of VWP powder ? left it in for half an hour and tried to scrub all round with a washing up brush. It's come up nice where I could get to it but it's an awful stretch. The corners are still dirty but it's only like a limescale powder, not slimey at all. Had to mop the last bit out with a towel.

Screenshot_20200430-192520_Video Player.jpg

Had to stick the phone in and video it to see it ?

Screenshot_20200430-192344_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20200430-192556_Video Player.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back