3 mobile feel at home what happens..... (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
when you've been using it overseas for more than three months?

We have contracts with 3 mobile, all inclusive calls, texts, & data and are planning on traveling in Europe for a extended period and while we don't plan to take advantage of them I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what will happen after three months?

From reading aound I do understand that you can only use the phones abroad for three months in any one year but after that do they stop working, even thought I'm still paying the contract ?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Mine stopped working after using about twice in one month, they didn't warn me, no message just stopped!
When I returned to Eng I got a message telling me that my roaming had been turned off, my phone still wouldn't work and when I went into a shop to find out what was going on they reckoned I hadn't topped it up for 18 months (I kept it regularly topped up) or so and the number was dead, I lost my number!
Needless to say I'm with GiffGaff now which is working fine, works in Eng & France for as long as I want.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
when you've been using it overseas for more than three months?

We have contracts with 3 mobile, all inclusive calls, texts, & data and are planning on traveling in Europe for a extended period and while we don't plan to take advantage of them I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what will happen after three months?

From reading aound I do understand that you can only use the phones abroad for three months in any one year but after that do they stop working, even thought I'm still paying the contract ?
Only guessing but I would think that you would be charged the normal call charge after the three months has past. Why would you think differently if you have a contract for the year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Only guessing but I would think that you would be charged the normal call charge after the three months has past. Why would you think differently if you have a contract for the year.

That's really the question, my normal rate is all inclusive so there is no normal rate !

If it defaults to 'a chargable' rate then that will be fine,if it stops working that's a whole,e other thing. We are having a Vanbitz all singing and dancing alarm fitted ( I'll be calling soon to book it, if any Vanbitz people are reading this, just waiting to get the collection date confirmed ) and it calls you if anyone messes with the motorhome so I'm need the number to keep working!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have 2 sim only contracts with 3 and spend extended periods outside the UK. The system we use is to only use 1 of the phones for a couple of months, then use the other. This way you can get 6 months of calls without any problems. We have used this system all over Europe.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If it defaults to 'a chargable' rate then that will be fine,if it stops working that's a whole,e other thing. We are having a Vanbitz all singing and dancing alarm fitted ( I'll be calling soon to book it, if any Vanbitz people are reading this, just waiting to get the collection date confirmed ) and it calls you if anyone messes with the motorhome so I'm need the number to keep working!
It may well not be given how much they charge for roaming nowadays especially if you are using data

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
It may well not be given how much they charge for roaming nowadays especially if you are using data

True but roaming is set to virtually disappear in June, and while it is very liberating to be able to give a taxi driver directions form google maps in Goa, we'll not miss the data side that much as we're setting up satalite internet as well as a couple of other products from motorhomewifi

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I phoned 3 about turning the feel at home off,( as I would be in France for 3 months) as I didn't want to loose my number by being cut off as they had done to my wife.
They told me they could only turn off roaming all together and not the "feel at home" and I pay normal roaming charge. This was pay as you go.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That's really the question, my normal rate is all inclusive so there is no normal rate !

Then I could suggest that you dial 333 from your mobile free and speak to a helpful three customer service person who will have all the information you require.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Then I could suggest that you dial 333 from your mobile free and speak to a helpful three customer service person who will have all the information you require.

Sadly I don't get any service out here, so that needs to wait till I go out and I keep forgetting!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I used mine last trip for 3 months. My contract is all you can eat data & texts and more than enough calls (can't remember number). I was a bit overenthustic with my internet use so I received a text during my trip warning me I had used 80% of my data for the year. It still worked though as did calls and texts. I did use data a lot less though!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The Feel at Home service for us was a great disappointment. Data speed often sucks. It seems that most of the time the carriers that three piggy back off of, reduce the bandwidth to near unusable levels. We found a bit of text email is OK but thats about it.

Calls using Feel at home are OK and it's convenient, but these days, more and more we tend to use Wifi calls using Whatsapp and Skype. I'm a long term lover of three and it's service, I have five contracts with them, four phones and a data, but Feel at Home, forget it, you won't.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The Feel at Home service for us was a great disappointment. Data speed often sucks. It seems that most of the time the carriers that three piggy back off of, reduce the bandwidth to near unusable levels. We found a bit of text email is OK but thats about it.

Calls using Feel at home are OK and it's convenient, but these days, more and more we tend to use Wifi calls using Whatsapp and Skype. I'm a long term lover of three and it's service, I have five contracts with them, four phones and a data, but Feel at Home, forget it, you won't.
It also doesn't cover calling the wife across the swimming pool while away either. That is charged for, even in Alistair's case having unlimited calls. This proves that you can be charged on an unlimited contract Alistair.....(y)

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
It also doesn't cover calling the wife across the swimming pool while away either. That is charged for, even in Alistair's case having unlimited calls. This proves that you can be charged on an unlimited contract Alistair.....(y)

Thats my new learning for the day .... time for bed then

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We found in Germany & Croatia speed was better than in the UK and when you do get a slow connection changing networks does the trick.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its all those cat videos you were watching Jim! :D

We've never had a problem using '3' abroad in France, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Slovinia, Italy, Germany, Austria etc - always got a signal especially for our data sim with the MIFI ... but then I don't watch loads of Youtube stuff like some do.:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl has a very useful guide on 3's feel at home when used abroad. I am sure she will be along in a minute to link you to it.
Thanks Peter but I don't 'do early' so no way was I gonna be along in a minute at that time in a morning! :D2

The guide I've done is specifically aimed at data sims but the Feel at Home info on it would still be applicable to the phone usage period.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

The below is Three's info on Feel at home where you can find out the cost for calls etc outside your allowance but it would appear that if you go over the TIME period this would be irrelevant as your phone's roaming ability could be turned off.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=Ext(EM38751)

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Thanks for that. ...... the guide answered a few questions .... it is still the risk of having roaming tuned off re the alarm system that is concerning. Of course I could take a few pay as you go SIMs to swap out if the roaming does get switched off and change the phone number that the alarm calls ?

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

I agree that compared to home it is slower but it does vary from place to place and I have found by taking turning off automatic selection of the provider in settings and trying out each available you can speed it up a bit sometimes.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Lots of people who live over here in Spain and have been using UK Airtime suppliers SIM cards naughtily over here full time, have recently been complaining all over Spanish Facbook etc forums that either their SIM has been blocked here (by the UK provider) , or the data speed has been cut to a crawl (I assume by the Spanish airtime provider of the service here whilst they are roaming).

Others still say they haven't had any problems using a UK SIM/package here long term so far.

The feeling is ( although this is only anecdotal), that the airtime providers are now waking up to this "abuse" of their UK contract "only-temporary-roaming-allowed" terms, and are starting to activate controls via their computer systems that are now picking up more and more SIM accounts that only ever access out-of-UK roaming partners.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
We have 3 at home contract, no text warning just got a bill for just under £40, I have argued as we had not used our allowance within the 2 month timescale, they refused a refund, their explanation was that they had changed from 40 g for 2 months to 12g for 4 months, but we were on a contract so I am still arguing with them

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have 3 at home contract, no text warning just got a bill for just under £40, I have argued as we had not used our allowance within the 2 month timescale, they refused a refund, their explanation was that they had changed from 40 g for 2 months to 12g for 4 months, but we were on a contract so I am still arguing with them
I have been aware of 'abroad used 12gb pcm limit for a long time but never heard of 40gb for 2 months ... when was that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back