3 is a strange thing (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have come all the way down France and the three data sim in a mifi has never failed even though the three phone Sims in our mobiles regularly showed no signal but in Spain even though they all showed full signal they would only get internet for about five minutes then give up even though still showing full signal.
Back in France now and at the top of a mountain east of millau bridge ,no phone signal buy the mifi working a treat (n)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I'm in Menorca on a weeks holiday and my 3 sim in my mifi is working a treat.(y)

How nice.

Our 3 sim and MiFi has failed to connect throughout France and now Spain.

Hope you are both enjoying your holiday.
Brian & Pam.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ah young grasshoppers, there is much to learn about the ancient art of MiFi roaming...
...one cannot expect to become a Three master overnight...
...there is much training, much practice & many hurdles along the rocky road to complete WiFi zen enlightenment .

:cool:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We had the same thing last year, all it takes is to get a web page up and change two words on it and bingo it will work, it's all on here somewhere, someone will know where it is.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I drove up to Calais and back recently and had great Mifi and phone coverage all the way :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How nice.

Brian & Pam.

You may find that it works if you go into the mifi admin page and enable roaming and connect automatically. Different mifis have different systems but if you search online for instructions, it is quite easy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ah young grasshoppers, there is much to learn about the ancient art of MiFi roaming...
...one cannot expect to become a Three master overnight...
...there is much training, much practice & many hurdles along the rocky road to complete WiFi zen enlightenment .

:cool:
If has taken @chaser 5 years to get a French fon to work, I'm still in shock at hearing he has been able to get mobile data to work.:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes mine worked ok in France Germany, & Spain & worked a few moments ago when I tried it here at home.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have unlocked it from Vodafone you have to change, somewhere a word from Vodafone to threeuk and that all it takes to get WiFi all over France.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Never failed on mifi...still without doubt the best Mobile Internet I have used for many a year.
In plain terms.....3 sucks....get it?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
When in France early Sept,3 mifi worked every time for 3 weeks.
Can't fault it, Only wish I had the latest 4g mifi with usb port.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When in France early Sept,3 mifi worked every time for 3 weeks.
Can't fault it, Only wish I had the latest 4g mifi with usb port.
Now that's another thing both our phones are 4g but havnt found 4 g anywhere

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
How nice.

Brian & Pam.
That must be driving you bonkers Brian. ..obviously you never got any help from 3 when you contacted them .??

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
My 3 mifi has worked most of the time in various parts of France and Spain, although it did seem slower in Spain. Recently I was with @ianthebuilder in France and his 3 mifi wouldn't work at all even though it was in the same place mine worked. Ian's worked fine before we met up and it worked again after he left. The only reason I can think of is that his newer mifi is a different model to mine and possibly the internal aerial isn't as sensitive in areas with a less than ideal signal.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My 3 mifi has worked most of the time in various parts of France and Spain, although it did seem slower in Spain. Recently I was with @ianthebuilder in France and his 3 mifi wouldn't work at all even though it was in the same place mine worked. Ian's worked fine before we met up and it worked again after he left. The only reason I can think of is that his newer mifi is a different model to mine and possibly the internal aerial isn't as sensitive in areas with a less than ideal signal.
I have found that the phones and the mifi never connect to the same server.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Can't fault 3. Used the MiFi in Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal in the last month. Wonderful piece of kit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Currently using my '3' 12gb data sim (lasts for 1 year) and its working well, also have been using some free data sims from '3' which gives 200gb of free data a month (no top up required at all) which includes roaming - not sure if it's available now though but they do keep 'releasing' this offer so worth keeping an eye out for it!

Three are currently doing a 5gb data sim for £23 a month (1 month contract) which gives you 20gb for the same price!

https://3g.co.uk/data-only-sim/contract

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
No problems with our mifi. Been through Spain, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and now in Germany, all using 3.

Just think, gone are the days of sourcing a different local sim every country we go to. Remember the aggro of finding a 'phone house' in Spain for Movil or yoigo!

On the subject of Mifi's Just upgraded to a 'white one' (4g)
Had a 'black one' for 3 years but now have a spare, just in case!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
How nice.

Brian & Pam.
Brian. Somewhere along the way in my ham fisted understanding of modern technology I know I googled 3 roaming and managed to set it up.
Of course I did this in the comfort of my cold and windy property at home , not whilst galavanting around Europe :LOL::LOL:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A small point to add about 3...a couple of weeks ago while we were in the Mosel region of Germany....our MiFi connected without any problems......however only to a 2g network......its been a long time since we have used this signal strength. Now in the French Alpine regions where 3g is available for us to use in our mifi.
Well done Three, leader in the market for us motorhomers.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Been in France for 4 months now, 3 sim worked all the time.
Last time in France 3 sim was fine but 3 cut my mob off without any warning!
Now I use GiffGaff for France & 3 for U.K.!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would like to say, I wasn't knocking 3 in any way in my op , it has been brilliant, just saying it was a bit strange in Spain, must have just where we were, I am now posting this in the wilds , on top of a mountain not a mast in sight , no sign of a phone signal but the old mifi is still working a treat.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
You may find that it works if you go into the mifi admin page and enable roaming and connect automatically. Different mifis have different systems but if you search online for instructions, it is quite easy.
They would if they could get on it ! :sneaky:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They should be able to get on it without being on the internet, I know it sounds wrong but that's how you do it, it's just your device talking to your mifi, nothing to do with internet. I have looked through the threads and I can't find it but someone must know, as they told me how to do it last year.
You have to put some numbers in the address box but can't remember what they were.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I see what you mean! It's not on the internet it's a web page stored on the unit , something similar to 192.168.0.1 :love:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I thanked McDonald's for putting up with me as I sat in a corner of one of their restaurants, using their wifi and calling 3 Customer Services.

For info, the first line customer services spent some time trying to help me reset the mifi ... but no improvements. The second line support took me straight to the ip address of my router and advised how to enable roaming and connect automatically. My device's IP is Broken Link Removed . The default username & password are "admin". There may be a few tab options to explore to find the connection and roaming options.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
:):):):D
I thanked McDonald's for putting up with me as I sat in a corner of one of their restaurants, using their wifi and calling 3 Customer Services.

For info, the first line customer services spent some time trying to help me reset the mifi ... but no improvements. The second line support took me straight to the ip address of my router and advised how to enable roaming and connect automatically. My device's IP is Broken Link Removed . The default username & password are "admin". There may be a few tab options to explore to find the connection and roaming options.
Got the (0) wrong, it sounded funny to go on Internet when they couldn't ! I couldn't help putting my oar in sorry ! :)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I would like to say, I wasn't knocking 3 in any way in my op , it has been brilliant, just saying it was a bit strange in Spain, must have just where we were, I am now posting this in the wilds , on top of a mountain not a mast in sight , no sign of a phone signal but the old mifi is still working a treat.
Not unusual at all - two main things affect the receiving of mobile phone signals: the strength of the signal, and the antenna in the device: sounds like your mifi has a much better antenna than the phones.

We've see the same thing loads of times: hubby has a Samsung phone and I have a cheapie Vodafone own-brand phone (both on Vodafone) - they can be sat on the table right next to each other and I have a full 4G signal but hubby only gets about half strength HSPA. My personal theory is that the more functions/storage etc. they try to cram into phones, the less space there is available for a decent antenna.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back