I hope this is the going to be the new norm

Deleted User
what a difference we are in the Dordogne area of France
Since the change over last week to new regs for roaming
3 is flying no more slow connection
Personal hot spot / tethering is working on android phone and iPad iPhone
Only thing I have not seen yet is a 4G connection
I hope this is the going to be the new norm

The same where we are in S. Brittany, no 4G on 3 but no 4G on anything else, don't think that it is common in rural France.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Since the 15th I put my usual UK plusnet card in my phone (was on three before) and it's much faster, I can watch videos and it's often showing 4G at the top of the screen. In fact it's showing 4G+R now blimey!. We're just an hour south of Calais on the coast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I got into trouble with 3 in France last week the told me to turn my phone off and back on again or they would cut me off. as piggy backing is not allowed .I had my i pad on but have an account for both.Not too sure what was going on so did as they requested .I intend ringing the today to find out the problem .I did speak to them before going away and they told me with an account i was already set up with free to roam.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I got into trouble with 3 in France last week the told me to turn my phone off and back on again or they would cut me off. as piggy backing is not allowed .I had my i pad on but have an account for both.Not too sure what was going on so did as they requested .I intend ringing the today to find out the problem .I did speak to them before going away and they told me with an account i was already set up with free to roam.
They do not allow tethering on PAYG or their Essential plans, cheapest one you can tether on is the £12/month Advaned plan.

There is a trick that works quite well, when they cut you off after 20-30 min, after you have rebooted your phone change to another network and you get another 20-30 mins, last year when using a Three sim were were doing this constantly.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm glad to know it's faster ,I had to buy local Sims earlier this year as 3 was so slow. Still in UK at the moment but will try it out soon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wonder if it is because the networks are now treating everyone the same?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never had this problem of Three being slow, last year in Germany it was faster than the UK, recently 4 weeks in France before the changeover only had one slow connection but we were in a village out in the sticks so not surprised.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have 20 gig on i pad. 1 gig on phone with 3.My reception in Picardi was roaming through Orange ,reception was very slow.

Deleted User
Never had this problem of Three being slow, last year in Germany it was faster than the UK, recently 4 weeks in France before the changeover only had one slow connection but we were in a village out in the sticks so not surprised.

I suppose it depends on your definition of slow, forever to load any secure sites or pictures no chance at all of any video clips, email just about OK though.

I have had slow 3 connections in France, Spain and Portugal regardless of the signal strength of the host provider, been in France before and after the 15th and there has been a quantum leap in speed.

I have 2 mifi's, one has a local Orange sim (because 3 was so slow), the other has a 3 PAYG sim both connected to Orange 3G, before the 15th 3 almost useless now as good as the Orange sim.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Three no better here, just put the 3 data sim back in my phone and I'm back to the H symbol. I think any improvements are down to coincidence.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Even though you have an account for your iPad I wonder if it was showing as being 'able' to access your phone's wifi on your phone's data connection and that's what caused the issue?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back