Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Remember the wi-fi repeater I bought (on my previous thread) well, I put my dongle inside the wi-fi housing and put the repeater on the roof...................I get 4 bars of 3G signal now where as before I got 1 bar on 3G and 2/3 bars on HSPDA.:thumb:

Suit you sir??

Boo

A

andysmf

Deleted User
external aerials

I've been struggling for a while with signal on my 3 dongle - (E160G) I had a look online and didn't find much, then came across a blog post that explained about different types of antenna.

I've since tried a 'Clip antenna' and found I get on average 2 bars more signal, although there are more powerful ones that can be mounted on a wall or pole, I tend to use mine on the move so the clip antenna is a better option for me.

I've put a link to the blog below:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Yes, I use a 3 dongle, but having said that because the contract is almost at an end and I am changing my ISP, I have just got a BT dongle as part of their broadband package and I have found it to be somewhat better.

I was able to use the 3 dongle in the Scottlish Highlands and it was occasionally a bit slow but I usually got a connection.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

Since I have had my 3 dongle unlocked, and new connection software included, I have never had a connection problem, and the signal strength is invariably at maximum.

I am very pleased with mine..............now.

Jock.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
a little bump from me for this post.
I've finally got round to photographing the 3G aerial i installed for my RV

Link Removed

Link Removed

They are from siretta antennas and cost about £20
You can them purchase a "pig-tail" which converts the connector of your 3G dongle to one suitable for the antenna

As you can see from the gaffa tape, it is quite easy to catch on branches, so i may remount it on a spring or something similar

Mounting it on my wineguard antenna gives it some clearance above the bus and sometimes .

it DEFINITELY increases the reception quality, as does lifting it with the wineguard aerial.

Its mounted by a WiFi antenna i use to pick up signals from distant site offices etc. and rebroadcast if I'm feeling so inclined.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi

Before you spend any money on an antenna, check if you mobile phone is HSDPA Class 6 compliant and has bluetooth, as a lot of them are, if it is then don't bother with a dongle just use your phone either with a USB cable if you are in a strong signal area and if not just use the bluetooth and place the phone where it receives the best signal.

If you get your phone unlocked you can switch between operators to get the best signal for your area, and a lot of them offer either 30p or 50p per day for fair use which I have never yet exceeded.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Since starting this thread I have got the dongle unlocked and bought an antenna both purchased on ebay from 3g-fever.

Link Removed

Link Removed

I am now using a vodafone sim in the dongle again purchased on E-bay for £8.49 including £15 (1gb) credit The advantage of this is that the credit does not expire after 30days as the 3 credit does. Ideal for using in the van.

The antenna works very well increasing the number bars typically from 2 to 5.

Regards

Lunarman

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thats funny I took delivery of a mobile antenna today and sitting here trying it out, and I am please to say I have gained 3 bars. And the signal is not up and down the the proverbial xxxxx drawers.:ROFLMAO:

Well chuffed:thumb:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Mobile Antennas

Magnetic Antennas aren't suitable for a lot of motor homes as their roofs are not metal
But that's not the only reason.
If you do not have a metal roof, the stick on cannot radiate properly as it uses the bodywork as the other half of the antenna.

You need a dipole antenna which will radiate regardless of the surface it is attached to.

Where's Wildman when you need him!!

The correct antenna as i mentioned will get even better radiation

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well I am here as requested, a mobile phone antenna as stated will not work on a plastic roof. However two of them back to back and connected one to the screen and one to the core of the connecting coax presents a balanced dipole antenna that will work.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
good point

But will the magnets not repel each other, as we used to play in school?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
well I am here as requested, a mobile phone antenna as stated will not work on a plastic roof. However two of them back to back and connected one to the screen and one to the core of the connecting coax presents a balanced dipole antenna that will work.

Ground Plane

This is from the site my antenna came from.

A metallic surface (such as a vehicle roof or body panel) on which antennas are installed. Standard panel mount antennas need to be fitted on a ground plane. For best performance the ground plane should be horizontal and have a radius of at least 1/4 wavelength of the antenna's operating frequency.
Ground plane independent (GPI) antennas have design characteristics which enable them to operate without a ground plane. For example: ½ waves, glass mounts, and 'elevated' antennas

Can an enlightend one tell me the ground plane radius size for 1/4 and 1/2 wave length for
Frequency Range (MHz): 890-960,1900-21701710-1880, 1850-1990

To give optimom performance.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ground Plane

This is from the site my antenna came from.

A metallic surface (such as a vehicle roof or body panel) on which antennas are installed. Standard panel mount antennas need to be fitted on a ground plane. For best performance the ground plane should be horizontal and have a radius of at least 1/4 wavelength of the antenna's operating frequency.
Ground plane independent (GPI) antennas have design characteristics which enable them to operate without a ground plane. For example: ½ waves, glass mounts, and 'elevated' antennas

Can an enlightend one tell me the ground plane radius size for 1/4 and 1/2 wave length for
Frequency Range (MHz): 890-960,1900-21701710-1880, 1850-1990

To give optimom performance.

Sorry Dane I don't see the relevance of quoting my post. The antenna setup I described is a balanced dipole antenna and as such does not need a groundplane (and that was the point of describing it). It Can be used anywhere preferably 1/2 wave length above ground extra height equals extra gain.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
good point

But will the magnets not repel each other, as we used to play in school?

Did I mention a magnetic base? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
You request my input only to try and pull it to peices? As a radio ham I have built and used this type of antenna many times as have countless others none of whom even concidered leaving the antenna connected to a magnetic base.

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Just a wire to the chassis should provide enough ground plane :winky:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Sorry Dane I don't see the relevance of quoting my post. The antenna setup I described is a balanced dipole antenna and as such does not need a groundplane (and that was the point of describing it). It Can be used anywhere preferably 1/2 wave length above ground extra height equals extra gain.

I quoted your post as you seem to have an undestanding of antenna's, I was wondering with a non metalic roof could a ground plane be intoduced via an alluminium plate? if so how big would the plate need to be for optimum performance of the antenna.

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Diablo,

are you sure that the antenna that you have needs a ground plane? It may be inedependent of one.

Who was the supplier can they not tell you

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I quoted your post as you seem to have an undestanding of antenna's, I was wondering with a non metalic roof could a ground plane be intoduced via an alluminium plate? if so how big would the plate need to be for optimum performance of the antenna.
All noted, in actual fact aluminium foil would do the job if you need it, paper the whole roof, hee hee, that will also stop the van heating up in the summer. The bigger the groundplane the better. Having said that I have manage to transmit quite successfully using a mag mounted antenna stuck on a biscuit tin that was filled with water.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Diablo,

are you sure that the antenna that you have needs a ground plane? It may be inedependent of one.

Who was the supplier can they not tell you

No the site HERE defo says for my one it should be on a metalic surface because that is what it was designed for.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Did I mention a magnetic base? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
You request my input only to try and pull it to peices? As a radio ham I have built and used this type of antenna many times as have countless others none of whom even concidered leaving the antenna connected to a magnetic base.

no offence intended, especially as i drew you in here!

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Whilst I could not get back on the server I did some investigation to try to answer Diablos question about the size of the ground plane.

It seems that it should be a minimum of 5" diameter some sites suggest 8". But it seems tha bigger the better.

I was in Morrisons and found the perfect solution for a ground plane for a GRP MH. - Roses Chocolates!! £3.49 will buy a large tin. Give the contents to SWMBO (bugger the diet) and use the tin lid for a ground plan - Job Done :thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Whilst I could not get back on the server I did some investigation to try to answer Diablos question about the size of the ground plane.

It seems that it should be a minimum of 5" diameter some sites suggest 8". But it seems tha bigger the better.

I was in Morrisons and found the perfect solution for a ground plane for a GRP MH. - Roses Chocolates!! £3.49 will buy a large tin. Give the contents to SWMBO (bugger the diet) and use the tin lid for a ground plan - Job Done :thumb:

Thanks Lunarman:thumb:

I'm sure SWMBO wont mind helping out with the chockies:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
Do I go for a 3m or 5m usb lead to extend the usb dongle? for best reception.

Uncle-Steve

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Funster No
Do I go for a 3m or 5m usb lead to extend the usb dongle? for best reception.

From my own experience, its best to keep the lead as short as possible. I poke mine out of a window or if sat elsewhere, out through a roof light. It does make the difference between reception and no reception.

For the guy's who like to experiment, try this site - Link Removed

Can I go off topic a bit please?

Is there a PAYG service that rolls over the credits, as its very frustrating to give away any credits?

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If you mean that the credit does not expire after 1 month then yes Vodafone payg service is £15 per gb but lasts until it is used. The only stipulation is that you log on at least once every 3 months.

I have unlocked my 3 dongle and put in a vodafone sim purely because of this.

Uncle-Steve

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Funster No
If you mean that the credit does not expire after 1 month then yes Vodafone payg service is £15 per gb but lasts until it is used. The only stipulation is that you log on at least once every 3 months.

I have unlocked my 3 dongle and put in a vodafone sim purely because of this.

Can I push further and ask where you obtained your payg service please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back