3 consecutive nights of fireworks over hopefully (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Me and the dog are currently at the Oxford C&CC site and we are literally surrounded by whizz-bangs.

Thankfully Buzz ain’t bothered....

B23A479D-0986-41A2-99F7-950C68F848D1.jpeg

Reactions: adt

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am (y) and have bean most of the night
You will have shared a confined dark space with a farting staffe :sick:
Bill
several at a time mate, its an acquired taste and the subsequent coughing clears your lungs of all sorts. think once i coughed up my spleen after a staffie farted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Still going on here at 9pm, there say that money is tight ! well not according to the estate up the road that seems to be the main culprit :mad:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I find it strange that so many dogs are frightened of fireworks. Surely its down to not training them or acclimatizing them to it. Gun dogs are fine with loud bangs so surely most doge should be trainable.
Our parrot is fine and enjoys watching fireworks. Occasionally a sudden loud one gives her a shock but no major trauma.

Surely if you have a video or recording of fireworks and play it at increasing volume over a few months a dog will then accept the noise.
We live on Salisbury Plain training area next to the impact areas and have a Spaniel and Terrier who are not bothered by the ranges and gunfire but as soon as fireworks are around they are petrified no amount of training has ever worked on them or the two previous Spaniels we had.(y)(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We live on Salisbury Plain training area next to the impact areas and have a Spaniel and Terrier who are not bothered by the ranges and gunfire but as soon as fireworks are around they are petrified no amount of training has ever worked on them or the two previous Spaniels we had.(y)(y)
He only thinks that way because of the parrot: you can explain things to parrots.:D

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
He only thinks that way because of the parrot: you can explain things to parrots.:D
You can talk to dogs as well. The way dogs look at their humans face to see if something is safe or not is similar to how our parrot looks at us when she is unsure.

She watched a big firework display through our upstairs window yesterday as part of keeping her used to the flashing and bangs..

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Spoke too soon had a few fireworks last night not as many but a bang at about 6pm dog slowly got up and meandered to back of sofa - didn't see her again till i got up this morning

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Surely if you have a video or recording of fireworks and play it at increasing volume over a few months a dog will then accept the noise.
Tried this - bought CD when we got a puppy in February and played it often and very loud. Puppy was fine this year with several nights of fireworks but older dog (who has been terrified of fireworks - she simply shakes for hours) and who was quite happy with the CD was still terrified of the real things. CD sounds like fireworks to me but there must be something different about the real things. Perhaps some vibration that humans can't feel ?????

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tried this - bought CD when we got a puppy in February and played it often and very loud. Puppy was fine this year with several nights of fireworks but older dog (who has been terrified of fireworks - she simply shakes for hours) and who was quite happy with the CD was still terrified of the real things. CD sounds like fireworks to me but there must be something different about the real things. Perhaps some vibration that humans can't feel ?????
dogs can hear sounds well outside the limited range of human hearing. audio recordings are limited to within human hearing. they dont include the super high frequencies of screaming rockets or the low infra-sound rumble of explosions

those of us unlucky enough to of been near enough to hear a real bomb exploding can tell you it "feels" and sounds different to hollywood attempts at recreating it.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We're parked up at Poolsbrook C&MC site and once again there are fireworks being let off somewhere near us - what the feck are they celebrating?

Or are they just being annoying t*ssers ?

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Heard fireworks every night since friday 2nd not many now but between 6pm and 7pm seems to be a few cant understand why it is going on so long - cant get dog out now if firework goes off after dark

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Still fireworks every night in Leicester hope they run out soon some people must spend a fortune

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
we had a rescue dog who was terrified, until nov 4th 2004 he went behind sofa(after being given a sedative) had a seizure and died, heartbreaking. Next was a beautiful staffy pup, also terrified, lost him to cancer in 2014 aged 10. We now have a spaniel and a shih tzu/border terrier cross, neither are a bit bothered by them, it seems to be the way they are, no matter how you try to bring them up

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well just an update on what we tried on Jamie. The Adaptil Calm diffuser seemed to quiet him down when we set it up a few days before the 5th but in the event made no difference when it all started off. We then tried the tablets the vet gave us (err, charged the earth for) and they made no difference either. However we may have been misjudging his reactions, he didn't actually seem frightened by the noise, just ran around the house continuously barking - more like excited than frightened. Later, on his late night walkies, although there were still fireworks going off in the distance he didn't seem bothered about them. Now we've turned the diffuser off he's just gone back to his (naughty!) self.

We did try playing the CD of the fireworks but he didn't seem interested in that, obviously realising that they weren't real.

Dogs! You gotta love them!

Photo0036.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back