3 consecutive nights of fireworks over hopefully (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Dog has hidden behind sofa last 3 nights she went for walk 1st night next 2 she wouldn't budge so hopefully no more till new years eve

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I find it strange that so many dogs are frightened of fireworks. Surely its down to not training them or acclimatizing them to it. Gun dogs are fine with loud bangs so surely most doge should be trainable.
Our parrot is fine and enjoys watching fireworks. Occasionally a sudden loud one gives her a shock but no major trauma.

Surely if you have a video or recording of fireworks and play it at increasing volume over a few months a dog will then accept the noise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Hopefully only garden variety not the big displays been like a barrage here non stop bangs and the aerial whizzing sound

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I find it strange that so many dogs are frightened of fireworks. Surely its down to not training them or acclimatizing them to it. Gun dogs are fine with loud bangs so surely most doge should be trainable.
Our parrot is fine and enjoys watching fireworks. Occasionally a sudden loud one gives her a shock but no major trauma.

Surely if you have a video or recording of fireworks and play it at increasing volume over a few months a dog will then accept the noise.
First couple of years never bothered her but she is 3 years old now started last new years eve more a case she does not like it now and feels comfortable behind sofa - first bang she goes behind sofa

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Still trying to coax Judy out from behind the sofa... :(

Daisy and I quiet enjoyed sitting in the conservatory watching them... (y)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Hopefully only garden variety not the big displays been like a barrage here non stop bangs and the aerial whizzing sound
Unfortunately probably not as I know Lewes is on tonight as is Crowbrough (both in Sussex) so they are some larger ones still happening tonight

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

It's getting past the abject terror that's the problem. Our first Greyhound would start to shake after the first loud noise. A couple more and he was hyperventilating. Throughout a night of firework noise he was frantic - trying to dig himself a hole, shaking and panting to such an extent that I thought he was close to a heart attack. Our worst period was during the Millennium celebrations. I was up all night with him for three nights, under a table with curtains around it and loud music playing. If I stopped holding him close he would start digging - desperately. Dogs I've had since then haven't been as bad and the three I have now, two of which are nervous breeds, take no notice of fireworks at all. I think you'll find most owners would try anything to improve matters but very often nothing works. It can also be a very specific fear: other loud noises don't cause the same reaction. I'd like to see fireworks restricted to specific nights and public displays only. I can only imagine the effect on wild and farm animals.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Haven't heard any this year, .. not even a banger..

very rarely do, even at Hogmanay

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Joking aside....... Daisy went berserk jumping up and barking at the front door..

First time she has been close to any...

Let her out and she just ran around barking and jumping up to try and catch the rockets.. :doh:

Not fazed or frightened in any way.. (y)

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Unfortunately probably not as I know Lewes is on tonight as is Crowbrough (both in Sussex) so they are some larger ones still happening tonight
Fortunately the big displays with town processions are a few miles away littlehampton is closest at about 6 mls and that 1 has already been done

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well after dosing him up with tablets from the vet our 3 year old Westie, who up to now has hated fireworks, got through last night - the only night there were any close by - with only a short shouting session then settled down, although he stayed close to us all the time. I'm not actually convinced the tablets did anything as his behaviour was otherwise normal all evening.
Although he was sick behind the sofa sometime during the night which I found when i opened the curtains this morning ..............................:swear:

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I'm not suggesting this is the same in all cases but.

When I was still living at home we had a German shepherd and a Jack Russell. Mum hated fireworks and thunderstorms, if she was at home during either and was agitated herself both the dogs were frightened to death, if she was out neither of them paid a blind bit of notice.

On a couple of occasions I even took the GS with me to displays. He never showed any problem.

Shawn

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Gun dogs are fine with loud bangs so surely most doge should be trainable.
Sadly that is not the case. The Gun-dogs you'll see working at shoots are fine with the loud bangs, what you don't see are all the Dogs that failed the acclimatization.

Both my bitches (mother and daughter) were fine at shoots. Took them to Clay shoots when they were young and they were fine, some owners who were persevering with pups never suceeded.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Aye Jim - ane o the benefits o bein aul & deef!! ;)

nah.. auld but na deef.. we live in the 'dead zone' .. nothing happens around here ..

that's why the aliens landed here :eek:

must be true it was in the Express.(y)
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weir...-aliens-news-roswell-paranormal-investigation
rendlesham-forest-1036334.jpg

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We’ve just had 4 days at Abbey Wood in London and we thought London was under attack at night ,Thursday,Friday,Saturday & last night .:eek::eek:
Brian & Jo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fortunately the big displays with town processions are a few miles away littlehampton is closest at about 6 mls and that 1 has already been done
TOWN PROCESSIONS.... Jeez, that's taking the event TOO far.
They didn't even do that for the man himself.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You might consider signing this:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231147
Btw, our Springer was a brilliant gun dog but was traumatised by fireworks.
Interesting reading the petition data...... One person from China has signed the petition.
Bet they're popular, they allegedly invented the firework. :LOL:

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
To my surprise and delight we found that Strictly Come Dancing on the tele was very good at muffling the sounds of fireworks.

Turned up loud we found the music and screaming and hollering and applauding and general idiotic banter helped to cushion the outside mayhem of noisy fireworks.

Normally I avoid the programme but it certainly is a boon if you have nervous pets.

Admittedly playing a recorded programme time and again will probably make you go barking mad (get it ?) but at least your pet should survive - even if you don't ....

:D :D :D :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my old dog now passed on was absolutely terrified of fireworks, and I mean way beyond frantic. It wasn't so much the bangs as the screaming rockets. He was a rescue dog and had been abused before coming to us at 3 years old. we tried literally everything in the dog behaviourists arsenal of tricks. in the end we resorted to sedating him every time, strapping him tightly up in a harness and I held him tightly for security. we tried the covered crate and he destroyed it in minutes, breaking a tooth bending the metal bars.
my current 3 are the polar opposite and enjoy watching them or just ignore them. however they never go out in the garden unsupervised as the fireworks are going off and we talk to them constantly to reassure them

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well I spoke too soon. As I write our Westie is running around shouting his head off and won't be pacified. Strange, though, because he wasn't the least bothered an hour ago when I had him out for his teatime walkies.
Stupid mutt!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Our dog has had sedation from the vet it has not made one bit of difrance he has craped all over the loung floor pissed his bead and it is a now cowering in the corner under the table that we have cuver with a blanket
Poor fella is petrified
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our dog has had sedation from the vet it has not made one bit of difrance he has craped all over the loung floor pissed his bead and it is a now cowering in the corner under the table that we have cuver with a blanket
Poor fella is petrified
Bill
get under the table with him and hug him tightly till the bangs stop

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp