Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Sorry if this has been answered before but, what if any restrictions apply to the heavier M/H in France particularly and the continent in general?
Thanks in anticipation. ::bigsmile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Sorry if this has been answered before but, what if any restrictions apply to the heavier M/H in France particularly and the continent in general?

Having a 4600kg I haven't found any. Some Aires have small parking bays (length) but these is always somewhere just down the road that will accommodate larger vans.

We have travelled in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy without problems.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Actually there are quite a lot.

In France, and other countries, many smaller roads are limited to 3500KG.

Also French motorway tolls are higher (at least class 3) above 3500kg. As are most other countries.

The outer lane in many german autobahns is limited to 3500kg so heavier vans must stay in the nearside with the lorries.

In Austria you need a go box to electronically charge tolls instead of the vignette. Also different rules apply above 3500 in Switzerland.

Speed limits are lower in many countries.

There is nothing that is insurmountable but it was enough to convince us that we preferred to stay within 3500kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hmm...think we could do with a little more detail here? Seems a basic question, and there must be a definitive source of info for each EC country, you'd think. As posted in another thread, I may be replating from 3.5 to 3.85, so am very interested in the question. To quote from and respond to Motorhomer

"In France, and other countries, many smaller roads are limited to 3500KG"
Not sure I noticed that many whilst there for four weeks? Admittedly not looking for them - most restrictions in UK are for >7.5 tonne, ie LGV, and there may be an EU link?

"Also French motorway tolls are higher (at least class 3) above 3500kg. As are most other countries."
"]How can they tell what weight you are? If I replate to 3.85, how would an automated toll booth be able to tell?

"The outer lane in many German autobahns is limited to 3500kg so heavier vans must stay in the nearside with the lorries."
Couldn't locate this rule, but did find that vehicles >3.5 tons are restricted to 80kph, so unlikely to be found leaving the inside lane anyway!

"In Austria you need a go box to electronically charge tolls instead of the vignette."
Guidance at Broken Link Removed suggests the bo box is an advantage only available to vehicles >3.5 tons, rather than being a restriction.

" Also different rules apply above 3500 in Switzerland."
Namely?

"Speed limits are lower in many countries."
Namely?

I'm not picking on Motorhomer, but I am suggesting that there is a need for definitive advice and am hoping to prompt more responses!

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
At the Peage, if automated it appeared the vehicle height decided what toll rate you payed, the ticket nearly always came out of the top of the machine and not the lower part.

If a manual Peage, the operator usually looked out of his/her booth to see if we were single or double axle at the rear. This would appear to enable them what rate to charge you.

Just me opinion

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just to add, this site looks informative Link Removed

Looking at GB rules, it appears I may already be breaking the law! My Starseeker is 3220kg Mass in running Order, and so should be restricted to 50mph on single-carriageway roads. I admit I did not know that....

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hmm...think we could do with a little more detail here? Seems a basic question, and there must be a definitive source of info for each EC country, you'd think. As posted in another thread, I may be replating from 3.5 to 3.85, so am very interested in the question. To quote from and respond to Motorhomer

Not sure I noticed that many whilst there for four weeks? Admittedly not looking for them - most restrictions in UK are for >7.5 tonne, ie LGV, and there may be an EU link?
many towns have restrictions to 3.5T for access through the main areas
"Also French motorway tolls are higher (at least class 3) above 3500kg. As are most other countries."
"]How can they tell what weight you are? If I replate to 3.85, how would an automated toll booth be able to tell?
we had a van that was 4T ( single rear axle ) dont know how they do it but we were class 3 on all motorways

"The outer lane in many German autobahns is limited to 3500kg so heavier vans must stay in the nearside with the lorries."
Couldn't locate this rule, but did find that vehicles >3.5 tons are restricted to 80kph, so unlikely to be found leaving the inside lane anyway!

"In Austria you need a go box to electronically charge tolls instead of the vignette."
Guidance at Broken Link Removed suggests the bo box is an advantage only available to vehicles >3.5 tons, rather than being a restriction.
the go box is not a restriction its just a pain to get and pre pay and then get back any credit,
Namely?

Namely?
UK.... based on unladen weight of 3.05 T
I'm not picking on Motorhomer, but I am suggesting that there is a need for definitive advice and am hoping to prompt more responses!

see red above:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I confirm that in many places , especially as said before on little roads or when approaching little villages you'll have restrictions for 3,5t. You just have to follow the sign with a lorry on that's all. We missed one this summer with JJ and found ourselves nearly trapped in a small village with narrow bridges to go out ... But JJ managed (he just shut his eyes , and said come on girl to the hymer ) phewwwww!:Doh:::bigsmile: The village was called Richelieu.

Frankie:Smile:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001

There is a requirement to display speed roundels on the rear of your rig. Current speeds are..............well I'm not sure what they are now, and ours is in store just now, I think 80, 90 and 100kmh, and they are available on e-bay. (vinyl self adhesive)

You are restricted to a 10kpm reduction in rain/snow etc.

Some towns do restrict vehicle weight to 3500 kgs, small roadside signs, white letters on blue background, but we have never seen anyone stopped, and we certainly have not been stopped.

Tolls are as said, manual operators look for double axle, and/or height beem broken on approach, will activate the higher rate, simple answer don't use toll roads.

Oh, and don't forget the breathalyser kits, the start date has been put back the next year, but I think its worth carrying the kit, for the cost involved

I hope this helps

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
vehicles over 3500kgs in /France are required to display three speed stickers on the rear. Quite a few bridges are limited to 3,500 as are a few towns if you avoid motorways. Generally motorhomes are expected to be under 3500 so mostly no problem. We are 7mtrs and had no problems on aires. So don't let that influence you. Don't forget your red and white stripped board if you carry bikes. Other than that no problem. In Switzerland vignette only required if you intend to use motorways. Stop looking for problems, the only problem you may have is deciding when (if) to come home, hee hee

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I am not so sure that trucks are restricted to 80kph-----we were running at 55-60 MPH and weren't passing any ----some were passing us:Smile:
In Norway the speed-limit for over 3.5ton (or anything towing a trailer) Is 48MPH-------but is the speed so important-----you are travelling to enjoy the Country---not race through it:Smile:
The toll to cross the bridge between Denmark and Sweden is MUCH more on vehicles over 3.5 Ton:Sad:-----------The main reason we avoided it::bigsmile:
Nigel & Pamala

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Correct me if you KNOW otherwise but I understood most of the continental 3.5T restrictions only apply to goods vehicles (camions) not cars (camping car)? except bridges etc of course.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Motorway tolls in France - Class 2 = Under 3-metres high & under 3,500kg weight.

Over 3-metres high OR over 3,500kg weight (or both) = Class3.

Apparently, many folk with MHs that automatically come up as Class 3 because one of the above limits has been exceeded, simply use the intercom to the control room and say 'Camping Car' and the category is usually re-classified to Class 2.

We meet Class 2 requirements in any case, so has not been an issue for us.

Mike

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
We are 5000kg and over 3 metres high and nearly 9 metres long.

In Switzerland you pay a Hgv toll for using all roads which can work out cheaper than a Vignette.

In Austria you only need a go box if you use the motorway network. Take time and plan your route and you can avoid these if you do not mind a few mountain passes :Eeek:

In France you will pay class 3 on the autoroutes but to be honest the other roads are so good and quiet why bother unless you need to get somewhere quick and then we don't mind paying a few quid for the convenience. :thumb:

We have no speed rondel on the back and have never been stopped. You do not see many locals with them either.

In short there really is no hinder either in weight and size if you get my drift.

Last edited:

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
For information, on our visit to France in July this year, we were charged as a Class 2 on all the Autoroutes we travelled on and at both automatic and manned booths. That's in a 3850KG motorhome towing a car on a trailer. I was expecting to pay class 3 so was pleasantly surprised (and it saved me a fortune!!)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)

Namely?

Namely?

I have found what I have found by driving through these countries and seeing the signs.

In Germany, on 2 lane uphill stretches of autobahns, the signs at the side of the road define what is not allowed in the outside lane.

You can read about speed limits in lots of publications - it is not hard.

You can read about toll charges in lots of publications - again it is not hard. And you may or may not be charged the higher rates in practice. In france you are quite likely to get away with it as more French vans are 3500kg so that is what they may assume.

In Switzerland you need an HGV vignette above 3500kg, you find this out when they ask your weight at the border when buying a vignette. Not necessarily a disadvantage, but different.

and if some think the GO box in Austria is an advantage, well that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The original poster asked if there were issues for vans over 3500kg. There ARE and the first response simply - and wrongly - said there are not. All I was doing was pointing this out. But if I had a van over 3500kg it would not inhibit me going in any way, but it just pays to understand the rules.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
We've been travelling for over 3 years now in an Autotrail, 3850kg & 3m high. The truth is that the police are JUST NOT INTERESTED in motorhomes. Unless of course you are stupidly speeding!:Doh:

Just yesterday we passed into Spain thru the A9 toll & EVERY vehicle was being stopped searched & asked for docs EXCEPT us!

They know we cant leave the UK without being legal ( insurance etc).

My experience of the 3.5T limit restriction is a common sense issue. Villages just don't want huge vehicles using their roads as a rat run. 3.5T - 4.0T - it doesn't really matter - as many above have said - no-one can tell & the odd keen Toll operator MIGHT stick their head out of the booth if they can be bothered. We pay Class 2. Most vans in Italy don't have the red striped board!

Even the ferries don't measure you if you are over 3.0m tall ( i.e. when we had the top box).

I agree that you shouldn't over worry about these minor 'traffic restrictions' but rather use your common sense. If a bridge looks dodgy, turn around. Don't go thru a tunnel without a height limit sign. Don't worry - be happy.

Cheers

billkce

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
"I think 80, 90 and 100kmh, and they are available on e-bay. (vinyl self adhesive)"

Correction..................according to the 2010 update the speed limits in France, are:

Motorway...............110 kmh

Duel carriage.........100 kph

single carriage.........80 kph

!0 kph reduction in adverse weather.

The vinyl stickers are available from www.speedstickers.co.uk

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Read the thread about 'highway robbery' in Poland if you ever want to go there and have your driving skills & suspension system severely tested.......

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
something you will get fined for if you dont have and use when needed is the [HI]high viz jackets [/HI][HI][/HI]for every member of your party. Remember if you have to get out on a busy road it needs to be put on first - even my dogs have high viz doggy jackets. Also first aid kit and spare glasses if you wear prescription glasses. The speed limits are lower in most countries for vehicles above 3500kg but you dont have to have the stickers on your vehicle. (I have them and they are in our unit but havent applied them and wont unless a stroppy policeman makes me - there was a hue and cry about this with the cc type clubs in france and over here when it was brought out and they then said the stickers didnt need to be applied but you had to stick to the correct speed for your vehicles weight especially if you are towing anything)

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

A lot of the villages..Do have a 3500kg limit..you will also find some small bridges also have the same limit ...it just depends how much of France you have covered and on what type of roads you have travelled on to have come across these.....also if you look there are also axle weights on roadside signs

"]How can they tell what weight you are? If I replate to 3.85, how would an automated toll booth be able to tell?If you look on the floor of the Peage yo will see pressure pads...also height sensors / cameras for over 3 meters...BUT I HAVE FOUND if it is manned pay point.. many times they only charge class 2 if you are just over weight..
In France on certain main trunk roads....there is a 80 km limit with no overtaking..this is for vehicles over 3500 kg

Namely?

yes also in france...over 3500 kg...80km...100km...110 km and these round discs of 6" in height must be displayed on your rear:RollEyes::winky::winky:...in a 90km limit 3500 it is 80km....in a 110km ..3500kg it is 100km...an in a 130km limit for 3500kg it is 110km

I live in France so my Rapido M/H is french registed.. Contrôle technique (MOT) is at a heavy goods testing station ...because I am over 3500kg...and the tester did say all heavy goods( H/G means over 3500kg) should not travel on the roads on a sunday:Doh::RollEyes::winky::winky:

Namely?

I hope it is of some help to you

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
With regard to the speed roundels there was an article by (I think) the Caravan Club quite recently.
Apparently when the law came out MHs were exempt from having to display them. Then a while later it was decided that they should, but just recently that decision has be overturned and MHs no longer need to display them.
Certainly, in the last couple or so years, I have been asked by one ot two curious French gentlemen why I displayed them as they never had. But, on the other hand if they keep changing their minds it may be more prudent to display them any way.

I'll try and hunt out the article but I don't hold out a lot of hope of finding it. :Doh:

John

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just to add, this site looks informative Link Removed

Looking at GB rules, it appears I may already be breaking the law! My Starseeker is 3220kg Mass in running Order, and so should be restricted to 50mph on single-carriageway roads. I admit I did not know that....

Can anyone explain to me how Fixed Speed Cameras can define between the different weights of vehicles and therefore the different speeds they are permitted to drive.

As far as I am aware they cannot define the weight and are therefore monitoring ALL vehicles exceeding the speed limit at their location.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hey! I found it. :thumb::Eeek:

Link here
Broken Link Removed

Print quality is rubbish I'm afraid.

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Can anyone explain to me how Fixed Speed Cameras can define between the different weights of vehicles and therefore the different speeds they are permitted to drive.

As far as I am aware they cannot define the weight and are therefore monitoring ALL vehicles exceeding the speed limit at their location.

thats easy .the camera takes a pic of your number plate . then all they need to do is look on a computer to see what vehicle is .
some are sort of controlled by height cameras further back the road . but its your number plate that gives the weight of your vehicle . all the eu can back track to the uk comuter system now .

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
thats easy .the camera takes a pic of your number plate . then all they need to do is look on a computer to see what vehicle is .
some are sort of controlled by height cameras further back the road . but its your number plate that gives the weight of your vehicle . all the eu can back track to the uk comuter system now .

Whilst your explanation is correct If you are speeding over the speed limit of road being covered by the camera.

If however you are exceeding the speed limit of a vehicle weighing greater than 3050Kg (50mph) But are not exceeding the Road speed limit of 60mph you will not be photographec as the camera will not know you weight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back