Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Been a hell of a week so far. But in a good way ;)

I only have a few weeks to fit an entire new interior and with the weather - wasn't happening. So I spoke to a friend who has a warehouse at the end of last week and he said I could use it to build my van.

I got here on Monday lunchtime. All of the furniture "should" be finished tomorrow. I've never built a van so fast in my life.

Quite funny really. I spent a year planning the layout then changed so much during building. Really liking it though :roflmto:

Off back to my Dad's house tomorrow where the van will get it's colour, but here's a few shots of the plain wood (with gaps left to run wiring):

IMG_20200226_153202.jpg

IMG_20200226_153224.jpg

IMG_20200226_153216.jpg

IMG_20200227_163201.jpg

IMG_20200227_163217.jpg

IMG_20200224_201755.jpg

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Colour going on really nicely (image doesn't do it justice). Just the effect we wanted :giggle:

Light sand tomorrow, then 4 coats of satin varnish. Thankfully the Missus is better at painting than me, so I get a day off :roflmto:

Woca 1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
When you put the skylights in. Did you ply the roof first and cut through the whole lot?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
When you put the skylights in. Did you ply the roof first and cut through the whole lot?

I can the hole in the roof, then fitted the frame and insulation, then the ply, then the rooflight.

In this rebuild I swapped the existing Mini-Heki's for SkyMaxx's in the same holes. The Heki's were looking tired and the blinds definitely needed replacing. The SkyMaxx's match my MaxxFan and have LED lights so no need for roof lights :)

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Have you got any more photos? I'm going to attempt putting one in today....

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Have you got any more photos? I'm going to attempt putting one in today....

I fitted the original rooflights 7 years ago and don't have images to hand I'm afraid.

Which rooflights are you fitting? Can talk you through the process. Assume your roof is flat?

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
I fitted the original rooflights 7 years ago and don't have images to hand I'm afraid.

Which rooflights are you fitting? Can talk you through the process. Assume your roof is flat?
Yeah, have a flat ally roof. The celotex is glued to it to give strength...

One but I can't understand is the mastic tape? Every video I've watched uses it...

Is it to take up the space between the ridges on a van roof?

Also I haven't glued the celotex to the ally skin yet. So where the vents are going currently have a wobbly ally sheet....

Edit... I'm using thule omnivents x2

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Yeah, have a flat ally roof. The celotex is glued to it to give strength...

One but I can't understand is the mastic tape? Every video I've watched uses it...

Is it to take up the space between the ridges on a van roof?

Also I haven't glued the celotex to the ally skin yet. So where the vents are going currently have a wobbly ally sheet....

Edit... I'm using thule omnivents x2

Okay, I've never fitted Omnivents, but guess they are similar to everything else.

The mastic tape is to weather seal. It should be a non setting mastic to allow for expansion in heat/cold and not break the seal. Doesn't have to be tape - just non-setting (most accessory shops do something for this).

For the cutout, you can probably draw around the vent bit that will go through the roof, straight onto the top of the van (on masking tape). If not, probably best to make a template.

For cutting the hole I use a jigsaw with a suitable blade. It's worth taping a dustbin bag or 3 under where the cutout will be to catch the fillings.

I would thoroughly clean the contact area on the van and on the rooflight. Something like Isopropanol is ideal. Then add any rust protection if needed to the cuts.

You'll want a frame under the vent to hold it in tight. With the roof and celotex cut, just trim the celotex back another 25mmish and add a frame made of batten the same depth as the insulation. This can be glued up (may need clamping to dry)

Personally, I'd then fit the ply. I'd fit it covering the new hole, then router out the same area from underneath with a guided bit. The new batten frame can be the guide for the the wheel.

Then mastic and fit it.

This is just the way I like to do it. Others may have different methods you prefer. Might be worth starting a thread if not sure :)

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Okay, I've never fitted Omnivents, but guess they are similar to everything else.

The mastic tape is to weather seal. It should be a non setting mastic to allow for expansion in heat/cold and not break the seal. Doesn't have to be tape - just non-setting (most accessory shops do something for this).

For the cutout, you can probably draw around the vent bit that will go through the roof, straight onto the top of the van (on masking tape). If not, probably best to make a template.

For cutting the hole I use a jigsaw with a suitable blade. It's worth taping a dustbin bag or 3 under where the cutout will be to catch the fillings.

I would thoroughly clean the contact area on the van and on the rooflight. Something like Isopropanol is ideal. Then add any rust protection if needed to the cuts.

You'll want a frame under the vent to hold it in tight. With the roof and celotex cut, just trim the celotex back another 25mmish and add a frame made of batten the same depth as the insulation. This can be glued up (may need clamping to dry)

Personally, I'd then fit the ply. I'd fit it covering the new hole, then router out the same area from underneath with a guided bit. The new batten frame can be the guide for the the wheel.

Then mastic and fit it.

This is just the way I like to do it. Others may have different methods you prefer. Might be worth starting a thread if not sure :)
Would pu sealant not be better than tape?

Also I ordered these a year ago and just, realised they only work for walls with a thickness of up to 60mm....
Mines 85mm....

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Would pu sealant not be better than tape?

Also I ordered these a year ago and just, realised they only work for walls with a thickness of up to 60mm....
Mines 85mm....
Not sure about PU. Doesn't it set solid? No idea, but a non-setting adhesive is preferred.

Regarding the depth, can you use longer screws and cover the gap with a matching vinyl strip or similar?
This would work on mine - not sure how the Omni ones work

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Not sure about PU. Doesn't it set solid? No idea, but a non-setting adhesive is preferred.

Regarding the depth, can you use longer screws and cover the gap with a matching vinyl strip or similar?
This would work on mine - not sure how the Omni ones work
Why does it have to be non setting?, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it..

Yeah, that's a good idea, could try that.

I could have a recessed in area that the vent fits in.

I brought them from headstead caravans. Going to talk to them tomorrow and hopefully i can return them!

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Why does it have to be non setting?, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it..

:roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If it helps I have been sticking roof vents etc in with PU / Puraflex 40 for about 10 yrs and never had any leeks? The only time I have had leaks was when I changed 4 vents for my mate and used butal tape:oops: all four leaked after a year or so then resealed with Puraflex and it's been about 5 years , no leaks ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What layout did you finally decide on and how did you sort the raising bed heads?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
What layout did you finally decide on and how did you sort the raising bed heads?
Very similar to original plan, but tweaked here and there.

MH5.JPG

Everything is kind of where planned, bed is dropped 15cm and we now have wall units above, walkway is wider, added onboard fresh tank, elecs moved to boot, few other bits. Didn't bother with the raising bed bits for now but may in the future.

This fit-out won't be the end of this vans rebuild. Still want to change wheals and add Cross Climates, add rear air and spacers to front suspension, increase solar and make it angle automatically and change the exterior colour. But all this can wait.

Now I'm just looking forward to getting it finished and hitting the road. Hopefully within the week :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
To save hassling you in the future could you plonk on here the firm that did the engine.

It sounds like the kind of business we, on Fun could do with.

(Do you realise how difficult it is with both typing fingers crossed):giggle:

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
To save hassling you in the future could you plonk on here the firm that did the engine.

It sounds like the kind of business we, on Fun could do with.

(Do you realise how difficult it is with both typing fingers crossed):giggle:
Yes of course.

The engine was built and fitted by excelengineservices.com in Stockport.

So far i can't fault them. Of course time will ultimately tell, but so far, the van has never ran as well.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Great posting, this is something I would have loved to have a go at.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Can't see where fire is, have you got a wider picture, I'm a bit slow, can't work it out!

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Can't see where fire is, have you got a wider picture, I'm a bit slow, can't work it out!
It's in the step between the cab area and the van area.

Not got a better photo to hand, but will definitely post one one it's all working :)

It's just for the dog really (although I'm sure the glow will be nice for us in winter months). He loves laying in front of even a fake fire :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Again, not a bad day :)
IMG_20200317_155524.jpg
IMG_20200317_123927.jpg

Everything now stained this evening, elecs going in tomorrow...
IMG_20190911_114256.jpg

Then away from here Thursday (thankfully).

It won't be finished, but will be usable. I'll finish it in the following days.

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Nice one! Are you doing this along side a day job?! Well impressive... Give us a hand ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back