2nd Test night complete. Heres how it went - Now for furtherafield (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So.

Thursday lunchtime we drove away from the Castleton CC site after our 2nd single test night in the new and first motorhome.

All went swimmingly. Well apart from little girl (2 years 1 month old) not been happy at the 2nd outing into the village for dinner on the same day. Think she had ideas of watching Frozen on he iPad. (dam Disney and there heroine quality cartoons)

We had a few more items with us this time from our snag list the 1st night to make life easier.

Cue Leveling ramps.

Now it was not 100% level and maybe we could do with some bigger ones for the odd site but it was close enough to be comfortable so were going to run with them for a while to see if we manage.

We found a really nice spot in the top corner. Away from the main road for quite again and only a min to the shower blocks which I made full use of this time now I have my rubber slippers on board.

I can't praise the facilities enough of the site for first time users. And I have almost zero gripes. But in order for balance and places improving facilities I will list a small one.

The plastic toilet seat.

The seat should always cover the cold porcelain bowl. Not just for comfort and warmth but I hate my skin touching the bowl. I always give the seat a good clean with baby wipes or the like and I hate touching the bowl.

Rant over. Awesome site.

Setting up was a lot quicker this time because beds were made from last time and cupboards stocked. Although I need to think about winter storing methods. We will still be using the van in winter so want everything as ready as possible but we don't want cold and damp ruining stuff as could likely be a couple of weeks between use.

But as I say set up was really quick so I added a seat outside to be able to use while rest of family faffed to go out and I could create space. I even clipped in the external shower which I will probably refer to as the dog shower from now on. He did not use it this time as it was a little baltic. But nice to test it out.

We then trotted off to the shops in Castleton and ended up buying a really nice coloured glass lampshade for the main living room light (at home)(big light if your a peter kay fan)

Had the usual cheeky pint in the Castle then headed back for a couple of hours to just enjoy the van. Did a bit of tinkering and generally settling a few bits in. Decided we need some little shelfs up in the kitchen area for spices and oil and stuff when cooking. How do you fit stuff like that and where are others buying it from? needs to be light I guess. Plus fitting into the softer walls. How does that go?

In the evening the missis was shattered and went to bed after the little girl went down so I decided to have a beer and play with some dinosaurs before reading/looking through all the manuals it came with and checking where service stamps go etc..

We all slept really well. Little girl woke about 7am so mum got up and they watched Peppa Pig on the iPad and I got up at 8am to cook breakfast for us all while mum took a walk to see the Ducks with Abigail.
Forgot the Sausages :cry: So it was bacon and egg sandwiches.
Thats when I realised we need a toaster! I like toasted bacon sandwiches.

We then unhooked all the external gear and removed the internal window blinds. Boy did the side window silver ones have some condensation behind them! Think we will be investing in some external ones. I guess that will stop condensation and help insulate the van better on cold nights to save some gas on the heating.

Lowered off the ramps and then headed back home via Towsure leisure in Sheffield again to pick up a couple of snag list items and then big one! The TV!!!!!!

Wifey said that we need a TV. This after I was told to hold off spending money on it over Christmas :rolleyes:

I decided I would just go look at what they had without asking prices and then buy it. My logic was to take emotion out of the equation and get what we would be really happy with. I figured maybe £30 for the bracket and £220-£250 for a screen.

Well I was wrong....... nearly double for the screen!!!:unsure: Thankfully wife was out of ear shot at the till so I just handed over my card and thought about the extra shifts ill be pulling in summer to not feel to guilty at the cost to watch BBC news.

Its worth it in my eyes though. Built in DVD and Sky Decoder (for when/if we get a dish. Nice LED screen. 3 year warranty and detachable for safety when not using the van.

So plan going forward is were booked at the Durham CC site for 2 nights over New Year so we can stretch the legs a little and have a better longer test. And watch TV ;)

From there not sure the next trip but we have started the planning for 11nights away in April over to Europe. Looking like France. Switzerland and Germany (Thinking Porche factory tour (y))

But all is going well... Working nicely through the snag list with no issues causing us any real problems this far and looking forward to new year :)

Picked up a set of nice towels today in Next Home so less to take from the house and making it more turn key lets just go with minimal planning/prep work as thats the plan for it. Grab Bacon Beer and Bread and hit the road.

Happy Camping folks.
Dave.

p.s. we also got a toaster ;)

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.