24v LED on 12v system? Possible?

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by rolandsaven, Nov 28, 2018.

1. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +6,878
    First thing to do is check the 24 strip is dimmable (I think some are only on or off) then I would just phone aten to get an idea of what total wattage of LED's are advisable in a m/h of your size I think it would be daft to fit them if they are constantly going to be dimmed right down or how this would affect the life of them and the dimmer/the power used/any risk of overheating/the cable size needed at 12v to the converter etc. I recon I must sound a right eyore but when I do a project its sometimes useful to have any drawbacks considered at the start so good luck with it all.

David

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,855
    i find leds are best mounted facing away from your eyes so the light is reflected

3. rolandsaven

rolandsaven Funster

Ratings:
    +8
    True on that.

4. rolandsaven

rolandsaven Funster

Ratings:
    +8
    I have similar system, spoken to @Wissel on another forum, but I do have a thread here about my system. I went with LiFePO4 too as I’m a full timer, it is definitely recommended.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +41,042
    Yes. Ironically it's the better ones with switch mode control that probably won't be. You can feed them 10-24V and the light will be constant but the current decreases as the voltage rises, which comes as a shock to see it for the first time. This mainly applies to the bog standard bulb replacement modules.

6. rolandsaven

rolandsaven Funster

Ratings:
    +8
    The aluminium LED cases in mine are installed in the ceiling but I could only use ones that have roughly 8mm depth. So that is why I’m having a problem. It’s not directly facing towards my eyes but I could slightly see the spots and it’s pretty annoying. I was wondering if there is any diffuser material that I can put in between the LED strip and the plastic cover that would help and does not catch fire?

7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,968
    How long is the strip you need?

8. rolandsaven

rolandsaven Funster

Ratings:
    +8
    roughly 5m (2x1m and 3x70cm)