240v Socket Fault, Removal. (1 Viewer)

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
One of the 240v sockets in our van seems to have very little voltage going to it if that is possible. When I plug my phone charger in the led lights up but it doesn't charge the phone and the TV doesn't work at all when using this socket. I'm obviously not using it as I don't want anything to overheat due to a bad connection etc. Is this likely to be caused by a loose connection at the socket end or more likely a fault with the mains distribution?

This is the socket, how do I remove it if needed? I thought the silver surround might pull off to reveal screws but don't want to force anything.

A9958147-EBED-43F8-B5E4-93083C25DDF2_zpsvdvpg54c.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Probably a loose wire on the socket, I think they are on a ring so if it was on the distribution board I think all the sockets would be faulty. Unless off course it is on a spur.
Can't help you on how to remove it.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I would agree with daveandsan and if it's the same as mine the surround does prise, off revealing screws. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it goes without saying, UNPLUG THE VAN FROM THE EHU FIRST

the outer silver bezel just clips on and off easily exposing 2 small mounting screws

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it is a loose connection on the socket then it needs fixing asap.

The wire will be sparking and getting very hot....hot enough to burn both the socket and the wirings insulation.

Very easy to fix.
UNPLUG THE HOOKUP....and if theres an inverter fitted disconnect/turn off that as well.....then remove the socket, make sure all wires are fully pushed home and tighten the terminal screws.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had the same problem. It was a loose wire at the back of the socket and an easy fix just as @pappajohn has said.

If not that then get an electrician asap. AND DON'T USE THAT SOCKET OR EVEN ANY MAINS and unplug from EHU and invertor until it is fixed - you never know what the bare wires are touching.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
If I unplug the hook up how am I supposed to tell if it's working or not?

:LOL::LOL::D:ROFLMAO:;)(y)

Thanks for the pointers though, I'll pop the surround off and check the wiring for starters.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Ok, but then he would have 2 sockets not working and the OP only mentions 1, but I stand to be corrected (y)
Not if only one conductor is not touching, just because a screw may be loose doesn't mean all contact is lost

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not if only one conductor is not touching, just because a screw may be loose doesn't mean all contact is lost
If either live conductor is loose at previous socket, as suggested, then the same applies
If loose at socket 1 and working, I would expect socket 2 to also work irrelevant of which live conductor loose

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not if a conductor has come out of socket one that goes to socket two

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Not if a conductor has come out of socket one that goes to socket two
Ok, however if its come out (not loose) of socket 1 then I would expect all sockets after this on the radial to have no power (OP only indicated 1 faulty socket) unless the faulty socket is the last one on radial circuit
if the conductor feeding 2 socket has come out of socket 1 then that would suggest the screw terminal is loose for this to happen (on a T&E install it could have snapped but M/H use stranded cable for this reason) and IMO very unlikely one has come out and not the other but anything possible
Would still start with the faulty socket on this basis, and as you suggest the socket before if not the faulty socket

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not many vans have more than two sockets :LOL: Mine has 9 but only because I fitted them.
Normal Rapido 7090 has one at the sink and one behind the TV

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Only one faulty socket from a total of four. As I mentioned, the faulty one does have power as the LED on a phone charger comes on when it is plugged in but there doesn't seem to be enough power to charge the phone and the TV doesn't come on at all when used in the faulty socket. Thanks for all the info so far (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That suggests a lowered voltage so more likely a loose neutral than a live. Don't use any sockets until you find it. Loose neutrals tend to get very hot.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That suggests a lowered voltage so more likely a loose neutral than a live. Don't use any sockets until you find it. Loose neutrals tend to get very hot.
For the LED to show visible light suggest arcing and loose connection the cause
You can get visible light from microamp-range currents
your right about a loose neutral

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I've removed the socket to investigate the fault this morning. Due to the location the most difficult part was removing the silver surround but eventually it popped off. After inspecting the wires they all looked secure but removed them anyway and separated the rear of the socket from the front plate, they are held together with a plastic clip on each side and this is when I noticed one was missing.

Difficult to see but there shouldn't be daylight on the right between the plastic upright and the body.

28EDF3DE-4190-4C1B-B4F1-5217E5C55A84_zpsvq97jnew.jpg

And this is what happens when a plug is pushed into the socket, the right hand plug pin is pushing the socket body away from the front plate rather than making a secure contact.

A74C437C-9352-48A2-860B-D7C772EEB7B9_zpsoqlvemr4.jpg

I've fitted a new socket but can't test it until I'm next hooked up but I'm hoping that this was the problem.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I dont know if its just my imagination but the two sockets over the kitchen area seem to charge my phones a lot slower these days, other appliances like my small toaster, hair clippers etc work ok on these sockets. I have had all four sockets in the van to bits and all the wires seem to be in place and securely fastened and the plug fixtures themselves appear to be ok unlike your socket with the bit missing. I will have to let my phone flatten and fully charge on each socket and see if their is a time difference!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I dont know if its just my imagination but the two sockets over the kitchen area seem to charge my phones a lot slower these days, other appliances like my small toaster, hair clippers etc work ok on these sockets. I have had all four sockets in the van to bits and all the wires seem to be in place and securely fastened and the plug fixtures themselves appear to be ok unlike your socket with the bit missing. I will have to let my phone flatten and fully charge on each socket and see if their is a time difference!
as phone batteries age, it can lead to longer recharge times as well as reduced use between charges. best way to minimise this is to use the phone till its flat before recharging every time from new

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Thanks for that, its the opposite of what I normally do! I will do that from now on, I only normally let the battery fully discharge when I want to remove it and get rid of residual memory.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I've removed the socket to investigate the fault this morning. Due to the location the most difficult part was removing the silver surround but eventually it popped off. After inspecting the wires they all looked secure but removed them anyway and separated the rear of the socket from the front plate, they are held together with a plastic clip on each side and this is when I noticed one was missing.

Difficult to see but there shouldn't be daylight on the right between the plastic upright and the body.

28EDF3DE-4190-4C1B-B4F1-5217E5C55A84_zpsvq97jnew.jpg

And this is what happens when a plug is pushed into the socket, the right hand plug pin is pushing the socket body away from the front plate rather than making a secure contact.

A74C437C-9352-48A2-860B-D7C772EEB7B9_zpsoqlvemr4.jpg

I've fitted a new socket but can't test it until I'm next hooked up but I'm hoping that this was the problem.
There's your problem, think you will find everything ok with the new socket
Fitted(y)

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Finally managed to get away this weekend and test the replacement socket which now works as it should :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back