Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
I'm simply stunned that anyone would pay another person to put three wires into three holes and tighten three screws. It requires the same level of expertise as fitting a 13A plug. You even have others to copy. The real skill is in running a cable any distance through the van.
I too am surprised at how readily some break out in a cold sweat and reach for their wallet at the mere mention of 240v!!!

Clearly not everyone underwent my apprenticeship of home ownership without 2 spare pennies to rub together. You either learned how to carry out such simple tasks - safely - or went without. Consequently I became a consummate DIYer; able to tackle electric's, plumbing (water & gas), carpentry and ceramic tilling - saving myself a small fortune along the way. I don't have certificates in any of these, but I've never blown up, electrocuted, gassed or flooded anybody and that's good enough for me.

It really is saddening how many barely know the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer nowadays, let alone how to use them.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I too am surprised at how readily some break out in a cold sweat and reach for their wallet at the mere mention of 240v!!!

Clearly not everyone underwent my apprenticeship of home ownership without 2 spare pennies to rub together. You either learned how to carry out such simple tasks - safely - or went without. Consequently I became a consummate DIYer; able to tackle electric's, plumbing (water & gas), carpentry and ceramic tilling - saving myself a small fortune along the way. I don't have certificates in any of these, but I've never blown up, electrocuted, gassed or flooded anybody and that's good enough for me.

It really is saddening how many barely know the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer nowadays, let alone how to use them.

We where taught some basic`s at school, Metal work and Carpentry, and My Father was like many of his generation forced by circumstances (lack of disposable income!) to become competent in all aspects of Household maintenance. I was married early, and learned to DIY on a shoestring, Or do without!. My big "claim to fame" was the construction of a new build home from scratch, with only the basic shell and piled foundation farmed out to the "professionals", all other work was done "in house".

Pete

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

Earlier this Summer I was dismantling a garden shed and in an effort to help educate my 14 year old Step Grandson into the real world I invited him to be my labourer for the day on the Minimum Wage Rate.
First task - "There's a pile of old timbers, here's a claw hammer, get all the nails out."

Didn't have a clue. Looked at the hammer as if it has just arrived from some far off planet.
On the other hand, he's red hot at playing Zarth The Invader From Zog on his PS and he has unusually long and nimble thumbs :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back