Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
I would like to have an extra 240v socket added to my M/H and I have been quoted silly prices, what would anyone suggest to be a fair price?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Depends entirely how much work is involved.

Ease of gaining access to the back of the desired socket location and the length of the associated wiring run will significantly influence the cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Find a good qualified electrician, get his advice on cable type and size and ask him if he will connect up both ends if you do the time consuming bit of running it in. I guess many electricians would be reluctant to start dismantling camper interiors but would be happy to connect and test if you install the cable. At a cost of course.

Rod

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you do get them done consider having the ones installed with USB sockets so you can charge phones etc. Really useful to have and not much different in price. We've just swapped 2 of ours for these.

ae235.jpg

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Go to an electrician, not a caravan / MH dealer - at least the sparks will be qualified ;)
I'd suggest a price of £100 - 120 would be fair for one / two sockets

What have you been quoted ?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If you do get them done consider having the ones installed with USB sockets so you can charge phones etc. Really useful to have and not much different in price. We've just swapped 2 of ours for these.
Having just installed some of those in our house, I'd fully agree with using them in a MH - very handy to have the USB charging sockets, and keeps everything neat (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My guess is a big part might well be the 'matching' sockets for your specific MH, another rip off parts price possibly

It is only a guess but a double socket to match what you have could easily be £50 + VAT plus fitting, then the fitting will involve cutting into a cabinet presuming if it is a flush fitting, the have you chosen an area with no mains power already, that would make sense hence why you want one, the cable has to be routed sensibly

So a quote of £150 wouldn't surprise me

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Come on, how much was the quote?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as above, use sockets and trim to match the original fittings (£10-£15 each) otherwise it will look like a bodge job, devaluing your motorhome. Cable £1 per meter but the labour cost in stripping out trim and replacing is expensive. Labour £50 per hour is not expensive for a qualified electrician

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Exactly what i did, got all the matching sockets and routed the cables to them, ran the cables to a new rear view camera, and a couple of extra under dash USB sockets so i could hard wire the satnav & dash cam etc. Auto Electrician charged me 60 quid and did a bloody great job (and I'm really fussy:))

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if matching sockets are horrendously expensive consider having the sockets hidden in a cupboard or locker price is going to depend on how far away from existing sockets or the main consumer unit

OP
OP
Shuismo

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Thanks all,
Better sit down, for three connections over £600, plus vat !!! I must look stupid, Don't answer that.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Mother of God! You should have put the Roller in the garage when he came round.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks all,
Better sit down, for three connections over £600, plus vat !!! I must look stupid, Don't answer that.
I just used an extension lead through the bed locker to front of the van where i needed it. Finished up with 2 sockets for £6 BUSBY.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Like Busby above, we use an extension lead when required. Our van has three sockets as standard.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Thanks all,
looks like somebody didn't want the job potentially if its a straight forward job!!

However sometimes you need to look at the work involved.

We have had customers over the years that want sockets in locations where the labour involved can be incredibly time consuming.. We charge as an example £60.00 per hour including vat and where there is no socket to spur off and you are starting from scratch from your distribution board it could take just to run to one location when removing voids / paneling and feeding cabling behind, then the time involved with mounting and wiring could take a couple of hours and this can be just for the one socket? Then as you have suggested having 3 sockets potentially scattered around the motorhome so times that by three, then a flush mounted commonly used motorhome factory socket with the trim piece is priced around £20.00 plus the 3 core cabling charged per metre... You can see how it can escalate to what you think is an expensive quote? Anybody can run a cable across a motorhome and screw a surface mounted socket to a wall but of course we all want the factory look with nothing but a neat socket mounted to the wall in an convenient place..

It can just take time which is where the cost is involved not the £20 socket..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are not happy with doing the electrical bit yourself you could just run the cables into position and get a sparks to do the connecting.
Getting cables through a van can be very time consuming, took me a hole day to get my reversing camera cables through.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki

View attachment 126673

Quite agree with that. We've got a few of these in various points around the house & they're very handy. Moho is next on the hitlist for them.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
image.jpeg

Fitted these in a few kitchens that I've fitted

Just plug in with a normal 3pin plug.
Can be mounted in a work surface just pull up to use & push down when finished with.

They take up about 4"X4"X12" in the corner of a base unit when out of use.

Look smart & cost about £55.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm simply stunned that anyone would pay another person to put three wires into three holes and tighten three screws. It requires the same level of expertise as fitting a 13A plug. You even have others to copy. The real skill is in running a cable any distance through the van.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Stupid quote.

Take a look at @Charlie - Minton' s post (above) or just replace single outlets with doubles

I don't really like the USB combined ones, probably better to refer to the excellent video below for the reasons (serious safety) rather than risk being shot down here

He goes on a bit, but he is a geek, and he does know what he's on about. In particular, around 8 minutes in, very crude unsafe earthing arrangements

Last edited:

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I'm a newbie, did have a Caravan about 8 years ago.
Not a difficult job to do yourself, I have put extra 12 volt and 240 volt in mine.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In all seriousness, I did completely re-wire My first R-V, which involved a 2 way Transformer 110-220 and 220-110 with a 40A changeover, plus adding several more sockets, and creating a "Ring Main". The work involved was very time consuming, which is the cost that DIY saves primarily. Running Cable and making sure it is safely routed clipped and Insulated takes time and a deal of forethought. I learned the practical side of my "electrics" on board ship`s, where some features are different to Shore Use. For one thing the whole ship is one big "Earth"!, Sat in salt water!. When I wired the New Self Build House, I worked to IEE17, which I assume is now superseded?. These are the things to be assessed when contemplating playing with 240V systems and your own confidence in ability is Paramount, If in doubt DON'T. Something else to watch for is that a few "EU" vans (and virtually ALL American) use cable with different colour codes to the UK.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back