22mm suspension nuts (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi I am in the process of fitting semi air suspension to our Fiat Ducato M/H. The 22mm nuts have been a pain to loosen, (a job undertaken before the unit arrives,) the question is I would like replace all the 22mm nuts that are on the U bolts. Has anyone done this? If so where can I purchase these Please
Many Thanks Vana

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Any Fiat dealer but I honestly wouldn't botter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why pay Fiat inflated prices?
Any hardware shop worth their salt will carry a vast selection on nuts, bolts and washers of all kinds
If you can't find a hardware shop try motoring shops, motor factors or small garages.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When you say 22mm do you mean that you use a 22mm spanner? If so you need to order the thread size 14mm from memory

For example if you have a 6mm Nyloc you will use a 10mm spanner or socket on it. If you ordered 10mm Nylocs you would receive 10mm Nylocs that would need a 17mm spanner!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You can get replacement u bolts complete with nuts from most factors, Euro car parts for example. Standard m14 nuts will not fit as these are a Fine thread.

D.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The Drive Rite kits come with new ones as standard.

Just incase you need to know. They are M14x1.5 nuts, and obviously M14 flat washers.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The Drive Rite kits come with new ones as standard.

Just incase you need to know. They are M14x1.5 nuts, and obviously M14 flat washers.

I will check tomorrow on the thread pitch, I thought they were 1mm pitch. BTW they're actually dished washers and two per nut which need to be fitted in the correct orientation.

D.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Typical foreigners, always complicating things.
Much easier when we had UNF, UNC etc.

This is the same UNC and UNF that the 'Merkins invented?

Whitworth FTW! "A coarse thread devised and standardised at Manchester in 1841"

Or BSF "Since 1908 this thread, in conjunction with BSW (British Standard Whitworth) has been the mainstay of British Engineering"

UNC... UNF... Pah! Foreign rubbish.

:roflmto:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
This is the same UNC and UNF that the 'Merkins invented?

Whitworth FTW! "A coarse thread devised and standardised at Manchester in 1841"

Or BSF "Since 1908 this thread, in conjunction with BSW (British Standard Whitworth) has been the mainstay of British Engineering"

UNC... UNF... Pah! Foreign rubbish.

:roflmto:

Then you start restoring vintage British Motorcycles and find you have Cycle Engineers Thread to cope with, that's when you have to to make your own nuts and bolts all good fun. (n)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I went for the ‘EasyTOP’ air bags and you don’t need to undo the U bolts, they clamp onto the spring.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I will check tomorrow on the thread pitch, I thought they were 1mm pitch. BTW they're actually dished washers and two per nut which need to be fitted in the correct orientation.

D.

Andy Kandy is quite correct, they are M14*1.5 threads.

D.
Standard pitch for 14mm is 2.00 So as Dave said it is metric "fine"

From memory, the same as seat belt fixings? Presumably to make life harder for people to "tinker"

If you want a good game, accidentally tip a box of A4 M5 Stainless Steel metric fine
Nylocs into the tub that holds normal A4 S/S Nylocs Too expensive to thrown the lot away so checked by hand!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If you want a good game, accidentally tip a box of A4 M5 Stainless Steel metric fine
Nylocs into the tub that holds normal A4 S/S Nylocs Too expensive to thrown the lot away so checked by hand!
I did something very similar when I worked in a Squadron Stores dept. :eek: The difference being that, as a Petty Officer, it wasn't me who sorted through the mess.;);) :LOL::LOL:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
And for the non technical ones, do we need a little hammer or a 4lb club hammer. Haha

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Off thread a little. A few years ago I was asked by a Lotus main dealer to find and fix an air con leak on a 9 month old Elise. Long story but had to rebuild some pipework and halfway through job realised union thread at one end metric and other end imperial. Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious was never truer.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Off thread a little. A few years ago I was asked by a Lotus main dealer to find and fix an air con leak on a 9 month old Elise. Long story but had to rebuild some pipework and halfway through job realised union thread at one end metric and other end imperial. Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious was never truer.
LOL My first job was working for the Longlife Tyre and Battery Company, and we had to deal with Austin Cars built during the strikes, they would have Lockheed brakes on the bake and Girling Brakes on the front, or the othe way round sometimes just for the fun of it

It happens

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi I am in the process of fitting semi air suspension to our Fiat Ducato M/H. The 22mm nuts have been a pain to loosen, (a job undertaken before the unit arrives,) the question is I would like replace all the 22mm nuts that are on the U bolts. Has anyone done this? If so where can I purchase these Please
Many Thanks Vana

I don't know how old your van is, but the more recent vans have oval locknuts factory fitted to the U-bolts. These can create a lot of friction and heat if you try and undo or retighten them too quickly or vigorously, with the end result that the thread on either the nut, bolt or both can be damaged, or the nut welds itself to the bolt. If that is why you have found them a pain to loosen, you ought really to replace the nuts and the U-bolts as they are safety critical items.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
LOL My first job was working for the Longlife Tyre and Battery Company, and we had to deal with Austin Cars built during the strikes, they would have Lockheed brakes on the bake and Girling Brakes on the front, or the othe way round sometimes just for the fun of it

It happens
My first job was a technical trainee with Dunlop Tyres late 60s onward. Remember a Ford main dealer reporting handling problems on a new Capri definitely faulty tyres. When we arrived to examine it we found 13 in.ch rims nearside and 14inch offside. Over the next few years I became used to all sorts of factory and dealer c#*k ups like this. Lot of bad tyres too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back